Namon M. on 06/09/2017
Namon said this business wasn't welcoming. They were focused on money.
Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Category: Service
Service Date: 06/07/2017
Review Created: 06/09/2017
Bob F. at Bob's Automotive responded on 06/11/2017

Mrs. Martin called us on the moring of 7 June and asked if we could get their car in for an Washington State Emissions Waiver. She stated her husband had already worked on the car, but there were several codes that didn't mean anything and they didn't want to fix it because it would cost too much. As I was asking her some questions, that she didn't know the answer for, she handed the phone to her husband. He said he was owned a truck repair business in Ridgefield and he worked on the car, scanned it with a "code reader", repaired it to the point it was running good and he just wanted as waiver. I told him to bring it in, we were busy, but we would fit him in on that day. The wife dropped the car off and that afternoon we brought it in and started going through the prescribed Washington State Procedures for Emissions Repair. "Code Readers" only provide basic Federally Regulated Emissions information, where as we use a computerized scanner that costs $15,000. We found Mr. Martin's vehicle has 7 codes stored in the system and 3 were for basic engine operation, which is necessary for the electronics to operate efficiently. They are Metered fuel, Metered air and Metered spark. without these three system operating as desigend any electronic emissions sensor information will be unreliable. Mr. Martin's Chrysler had unmetered air getting into his engine. After performing a Non-Toxic Pressured Smoke test of his intake system we found the Intake Manifold and the EGR Valve to be leaking. I called Mr. Martin and explained this to him and gave him an estimate for the Intake Manifold repair, the EGR was new he had just installed it, the brand was one I would NEVER USE cheap Chinese knockoff! Mr. Martin responded very firm and insistant that he only wanted a waiver. So I had our Tech continue his testing and finish the job. We spent nearly 1.5 hours on Mr. Martin's car, we followed the Washington State Law to the letter (they set the minimum charge at $150.00, not us) We gave Mr. Martin his money's worth and then some. He was billed $176, sales tax and fees are not a waiverable expense! He got a full explanation of what was wrong and why certain steps needed to be done in order to prevent replacing parts that function, but are currently, just getting incorrect info. Mr. Martin came flying into our lot on his "Harley" right before closing, to get his vehicle. He came in trying to act like a "tough biker"  Through his money on our desk, said "Is this what I need" as I was getting his change, asked for the keys, gave them to his wife told her to go on, looked at me and said "This is all I get for my money? What did you do" I started to explain we did exactly what he asked for and what we found out, he called me a F--N thief and stormed out. Got on his Harley pulled into the street, off to the side where gravel is still laying from the winter and proceeded to spin his tire throwing gravel on the front of one of our customer's cars chipping the windshield. I am 66 years old and I have been in business here since I got out of the service 24 years ago! If I was "all about money" as Mr. Martin said, I would have ripped people off for enough by now to retire, but no I'm still working every day and I enjoy what I do. I and our Technician's are "Trained Professionals" the attend 10 hours of training every quarter to stay current in this industry. We have the best and latest equipment on the market, because we want our customer's vehicles to be serviced and repaired correctly. So to anyone that reads this, IF ALL YOU WANT US TO DO IS PROVIDE YOU WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A WASHINGTON STATE EMISSIONS WAIVER, PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! DON'T COME HERE BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT IS MAKING YOU! Now if you want our services, we are happy, ready and willing to help you. I believe the other 600+ good reviews on here will attest to that and show what we are all about!
For God, Country and All Veterans
Bob Ford

LINDA K. on 06/18/2015
"Nothing change/wrong year of car"
Number 1. My car is a 1998 not 1999.
Number 2. My licence plate is not 881-XCO. Has not changed on invoice.
Number 3. My address is not 7509, it has been changed.
All of these are changed or over looked. How many other invoices are over looked and said about their car is not the right year?
Vehicle: Honda Civic
Service Date: 06/17/2015
Review Created: 06/18/2015 09:18 AM
Bob F. at Bob's Automotive responded on 06/19/2015

Mrs Keasy, I realize you are upset because we gave your car a physical and found the issues you are having a a little more expensive than spark plugs, I would think that if we followedf your initial request and performed a tune up and yet you still had the same problem that wiuld be our fault too! The fact is we drove you 8 miles to your house, diagnosed your car, gave you a complete report on the issues required to fix your car. We saved you the cost of repairs you wanted done , that didn't need to be done, we used the same license #, address that was in our files from your last visit, July 2011 and the year of your car comes from our system. We put your VIN # in our system and your vehicle information is brought up. Most likely yopur vehicle was built in June, July or August of 98. However thisis the third time in 5 years you have visited our business, the first time we performed repair the second and this time you simply wanted to know what the vehicle needed so you cou buy your own parts and have a neighbor install them. Exactly as you told me on the phone! So I am asking you to not bother us again! We try to keep our diagnostic charges down to "Costs" only. But your complaint is only about my clerical skills not our tecnial abilities. OK! The License # is your old number, not one I made up, your address is your old address, I din't know it changed, you never told me it changed and the vehicle year came from your VIN#. Now I fully understand what you want from us, so let's agree to "divorce" you find another shop that will operate as you desire and we will continue our operations. Thank You Have a great life!

Megan L. on 01/16/2013
Megan said the business overcharges. She would not recommend this business, but she chose not to elaborate.
Vehicle: Scion xD
Category: Service
Service Date: 01/10/2013
Review Created: 01/16/2013
Bob F. at Bob's Automotive responded on 01/18/2013
Ms Lawton had her vehicle towed to our business with a complaint of "vehicle not starting". We brought the vehicle in direectly off the tow truck and started diagnostic testing. We tested for diagnostic trouble codes (found none), fuel pressure (within spec), ignition (good spark from coil) and the timing (operting normally). We found all systems operational and within manufacturer specifications. Further testing found the vehice had "Flooded" on a cold morning start up, most likely due to a poor tune parts condition. We reccommended a vehicle tune and fuel injection flush. With the customers approval of the work suggested and the price of the estimated work, we completed repairs. 7 days later Ms Lawton's boyfriend returned and complained the vehicle mileage had gotten extremely bad, down to 10 MPG from what he stated was a 38 mpg average before we completed repair of the vehicle. I asked him if the car was running ok and he stated it ran fine, it was just getting horrible fuel mileage. This didn't make any sense to me. How could the fuel mileage have fallen to 10 mpg from a manufacturer stated average of 33 mpg and the vehicle run "good"? However I asked that he return the vehicle as soon as possible, because a condition such as that could cause serious damage. Upon the vehicles return we checked the condition, Checked our work and the current exhaust gas readings, all systems were normal. We found the fuel tank to be nearly full and the on-board computer system showing a 28.7 MPG average. Having owned a 2008 Scion xD for 4 years, I was very familiar with the on-board computer system operation and I tried to explain to Ms Lawton's boyfriend taht after filling the fuel tank the computer "zero's" the mpg average and starts at zero mpg, then averages the mileage against the fuel used as you drive, therefor your average immiediately after a fill upo will be low but it rises rapidly as you drive. Needless to say he didn't belive us. I'm sure that they will see a much higher average mpg as the fuel is consumed. I am sad that Ms. Lawton feels that $339 including sale tax is too much to pay for 3 hours of work and 4 iridium spark plugs ($14 ea.) a fram air filter ($16) and the chemicals used to clean the fuel injection. If she truly thought we were over charging, I find it odd that Ms. Lawton has not called us or otherwise contacted us, since she ok'd the iniotial repair, just her boyfriend. If I thought I was being overcharged, first I would never have "OK'D" the initial work and secondly I would speak directly to the business manager. I think they were embarsssed they didn't fully understand their vehicles operation and in society today, many people refuse to accept they made a mistake, issues are always somebody else's fault and the computer and social media makes it easy to "lay blame" without fear. We did everything above board, our charges were fair, reasonable and Ms Lawton's vehicle is performing just as Toyota manufactered it to! I find it sad for a good customer take action like this without first even contacting or speaking to me first.