Review for Dale's Auto Care
ANTHONY G. on 11/26/2014
"Got Burned"
Have always considered Dale's honest and fair but got a bad taste recently when I was charged double the price for a starter motor. Why would I recommend them to my friends to be treated the same?
Vehicle: Ford Taurus
Service Date: 11/24/2014
Review Created: 11/26/2014 06:51 AM
Sam G. at Dale's Auto Care responded on 12/08/2014

I am sorry Mr. Gadzekpo That felt you were charged "double the price".  I sold you a top quality starter with a parts and labor LIFETIME warranty, that is redeemable at any NAPA Auto Care Center in the United States.  I charged you 275.93 for the starter and 71.56 in labor to install it. I did not charge you for testing the starting and charging system, witch has a labor charge of 38.00. you asked for a brake inspection on your rear drum brake, that we did do and we cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes while we had the drums off. We removed the charges for the brake inspection of 45.00, because you said you could not afford it and did not realize there would be a charge for that labor.  The price we quoted you for the starter and labor before we did the work is what we charged you and is what you gave us the OK to do. If you felt that the price was too high, I would have been happy to explain to you our price and what you were getting. Just to double check your statement of "double the price" I called 3 other Auto Care Centers to get an estimate of what we did on your vehicle for comparison.  I found all 3 were just slightly higher than what we charged you.  I then checked the Internet for pricing on the starter, to find a wide range of starters pricing from the cheapest quality priced at 139.00 to the best quality at 297.00.  I would have been happy to explain to you that almost all starter brands have three levels of quality, and that we use the best quality. If that did not fit your budget, then I would have offered you the middle grade quality. that starter would have cost you 212.00 and the labor would have been the same, but the warranty would have been 2years or 24k miles. The cheapest starters I will not install due to the high failure rate.
   Mr Gadzekpo I apologize for not offering you the mid grade starter, but you have had 5 visits to our shop since 2010 and you have always agreed to the top quality parts. I did not expect that you would want the lesser quality. If it would make you feel that you have been treated fairly, I would be happy to install the mid grade starter and refund you the difference. The statement you made of "double the price" is unfair to us if you compare it with best quality and best warranty available.
    Pleas call me if I can futher assist you.
                       Sam Gray