Keller's Professional Auto & Diesel

Overall Rating 3.6666667/5Overall Rating 3.6666667/5Overall Rating 3.6666667/5rating 3.6666667rating 3.6666667
Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0
JEFF T. on 04/17/2017
"Very disappointed"
Was once a big believer in Keller Auto's integrity, but a recent service visit completely changed my opinion. During a recent routine oil change on one of my trucks, they made a mistake by backing out the aftermarket drain plug too far, causing the nut inside the oil pan to drop off into the bottom of the enclosed oil pan. Steve, the manager, called to let me know what they did, and he told me the only option now was to replace the oil pan to the tune of $500 (parts and labor). He admitted they caused the problem but took absolutely no responsibility and did not offer to correct the problem on their dime. Keller knew this truck had an aftermarket plug because back in Nov. 2016 they did the oil change and had no issues whatsoever. In fact, they were the ones who at that time told me about the aftermarket plug. I asked if it was a problem and they said "no, as long as it's not giving you problems." If they didn't want to take the risk this time with the aftermarket plug, they should have told me they weren't comfortable doing the oil change. Instead they went ahead with it, the mechanic backed the plug out too far, and I drove it away that evening with $445 less in my pocket. When asked if he felt Keller was in any way responsible for causing the problem, Steve flatly denied any wrongdoing. Then he tried to "sell" me on the notion that he was "giving me a break on the price" because the labor was actually less than the "book" suggested for the repair. I'm still trying to figure out where exactly the "break" was, since I basically paid for ALL the parts and paid for ALL the labor time it took to complete the repair.

Until this incident, I considered myself a loyal Keller Auto customer and had every intention of using them to perform all required service on all three of my vehicles in the future. I found their unwillingness to take even the slightest bit of responsibility for a problem they clearly caused very disheartening. I thought I had finally found a repair shop with integrity and honesty. Apparantly I was mistaken. Had they simply "owned" the mistake and offered to fix it at their cost (or at the very least CONTRIBUTE to the cost), they'd have a customer for life. Instead they opted to save a few bucks in exchange for the loss of a loyal customer and future business. At a minimum, they could have offered to remove the existing oil pan, retrieve the nut, re-attach the plug and re-attach the oil pan, where they'd have eaten what, less than 2 hours of their mechanics time? Negative! They'd rather lose years of my future business. Interesting business model.
Vehicle: RAM 1500
Service Date: 04/08/2017
Review Created: 04/17/2017 11:35 AM
Jeff T. on 04/12/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Extremely disappointed"
Until now, I've been very pleased with Keller's service. Sadly that has all changed now because of my most recent experience. Extremely disappointed. Took my vehicle in for oil change service. The vehicle had an aftermarket oil drain plug. Keller knew this because they had performed the oil change in Nov. 2016 (with this aftermarket plug installed.) Back then, the oil change was done with no issues. However yesterday during the oil change, their mechanic backed out the drain plug too far and the nut on the inside of the oil pan fell off into the bottom of the pan. (Aftermarket plugs require a nut on the inside of the oil pan in order to be able to tighten the plug). Keller knew that's how aftermarket plugs are put together. The mgr told me the only option now was to replace the oil pan with a new one. He said with parts and labor it would cost $500. My frustration and disappointment lies with Keller not taking one iota of responsibility for causing the issue, as if it was somehow MY responsibility because the truck had an aftermarket plug? I'm not suggesting in any way they were reckless or careless. After all, mistakes DO happen. But they DID cause the problem. They can't deny that. In fact, the mgr flat out admitted they backed the plug out too far. And not only did he tell me the only option was a new oil pan, he didn't offer to pay for a mistake they clearly caused. He didn't offer to help with the cost whatsoever. So again, because it was an aftermarket plug, somehow they were not liable?? I figure it this way ... they knew about the plug ... if they didn't want to assume the risk they should have told me they wouldn't perform the oil change. I would have completely understood. But they agreed to do it, they made the mistake, they admitted the mistake, they denied any responsibility, and they conveniently passed the entire cost onto me.

So while I was waiting for the repair, I got to thinking "hey, why couldn't they just drop the oil pan, retrieve the nut and re-tighten the plug, and re-mount the pan?". I spoke with the mgr and he said they could do that, but he didn't recommend it. I agreed that it was not the optimal solution, but it was an option that would at least save me $250 for a new oil pan. After all, that aftermarket plug had been there for years and we NEVER had issues with it. But just like our prior conversations, he did not offer to eat the labor cost to remove the pan, demonstrating once again they felt no responsibility for what they had caused.

Later, as they were performing the repair, my wife called the mgr to press him to acknowledge responsibility for creating the issue but he would not accept one bit of it. What he did say though was that the actual labor was less than the "book" stated, and he would be able to "give us a break" on the cost on the labor. So yes, the total cost came down to $445, which we appreciated. But it felt to us like he was trying to play that cost reduction off as them giving us some kind of discount when in reality we paid full price for the new pan and we paid for ALL the labor that was performed, and they paid NOTHING. So where exactly was the "break" they gave us? Was it for not charging me for labor hours that were never performed??

Until this incident, I considered myself a loyal Keller Auto customer and had every intention of using them to perform all future service on all three of my vehicles. They seem like good guys. And perhaps they are. But I feel this issue was handled very very poorly by them. I found their unwillingness to take even the slightest amount of responsibility for a problem they caused very disheartening and disconcerting. I thought I had finally found a repair shop with integrity and honesty. I now have doubts about that notion. Had they simply "owned" the mistake and offered to fix it at their cost (or at the very least CONTRIBUTE to the cost), they'd have a customer for life. Instead they opted to cover their asses and save a few bucks in exchange for the loss of a loyal customer and any of my future business. Very sad and disappointing.
Service Date: 04/10/2017

Service Date: 04/10/2017
Review Created: 04/11/2017 12:18 PM
JOE D. on 09/10/2016
"Oil change"
Had oil changed scheduled for 300PM. Got there 10 minutes earlier. Noticed car had not been moved at 327PM. Asked service writer what time was my appointment for, he said 3PM. I told him it's not be taken in yet. Service writer stated, I thought were working on it. He went inside to find out what's up. At 335P took my car in at 4PM . At 400PM call me up my car was done. Said I am sorry they were running behind. I was not happy .....I was late for my next appointment.
Vehicle: Dodge Caliber
Service Date: 09/09/2016
Review Created: 09/10/2016 07:15 AM
WENDY C. on 06/20/2016
"Customer Service and honesty needs attention"
The Odometer/Trip button was missing when I went to pick my car up from an oil change and they tried to tell me it was broken when I brought it in.
Vehicle: Dodge Grand Caravan
Service Date: 06/17/2016
Review Created: 06/20/2016 07:44 AM
Steve E., Manager at Keller's Professional Auto & Diesel responded on 06/20/2016

Hi Wendy, Im really sorry for this issue. I am going to attempt to find a button for you and get this matter resolved in a timely fashion. Thanks for your business.

BREANNA F. ReScore Review on 06/01/2016
Recommended? Yes
Surecritic checkman logo Verified
"took fast action to respond to bad review"
I appreciated that Steve the manager called me the next day and offered me $100 in store credit.
Vehicle: Honda Civic
Service Date: 05/31/2016
Review Created: 05/31/2016 08:36 PM

"Bad communication"
Short Version of Story: me: "Oh that quote is very high. I'm going to have to make some calls before you do anything."
Keller Rep (as we're halfway out the door): "Did you still want us to do an oil change?"
Me: "No, hold off. We're not sure yet, we'll call you later."
--CUT TO US COMING BACK A FEW HOURS LATER HAVING FOUND A BETTER PRICE--
Keller Rep: "So here's your total for the diagnostic and oil change."
Me: "But we said to hold off on the oil change."
Keller: "Well, I didn't get a clear answer."

**if you didn't get a clear answer, CLARIFY by calling me before you just do it and charge me. Also, err on the side of NOT doing work you're not sure the person agreed to.

Longer version if you care: I go to Keller all the time for my oil changes because they have a really cheap coupon for it and I haven't had any problems. So when my "check engine" light came on, I figured I could trust them to look at it and do repairs for a reasonable price. I really wish I had gone somewhere else. I dropped it off for a diagnostic, they called me to say 2 things needed to be done to "try and figure out" what was wrong with it, and the price for doing those 2 things would be $393. And that would not even fix the problem. (The problem could be anything from changing fluids out to needing a new transmission. My car only has 60,000 miles on it.) Also, the diagnostic itself alone, before doing any of this, was over $100. After the diagnostic and the oil change we did not want, the grand total was $135 and I have almost nothing to show for it. The worst part is the way the oil change was handled. I also presented a $25 "gift card" I had received in the mail, which they would not take because it was that OR the oil change coupon, which I shouldn't have needed to apply in the first place. Overall review, if you want to come here for ONLY oil changes, go for it. If you have ANYTHING else, go somewhere else.
Vehicle: Honda Civic
Service Date: 05/31/2016
Review Created: 05/31/2016 08:36 PM
Steve E., Manager at Keller's Professional Auto & Diesel responded on 06/01/2016

Thanks Breanna for your bringing this misunderstang on our part to my attention and we are doing our best to rectifiy the situation and make it right for you. Thanks for talking to me today and we will get this taken care. Thanks for number one being our customer and second for giving us an opportunity to make it right.

GARY P. on 05/06/2016
"they had been doing great but today I feel like not somucg"
I have search on line and I have found OEM parts for my Escalade air shocks at about $300/ shock less!! And the air compressor was $400 less - so instead of a $2500 job it was $4500!! I feel like a rape suspect!! Never going back!! Thought I had a trusted mechanic - but looking for a new one!!
Vehicle: Cadillac Escalade
Service Date: 05/06/2016
Review Created: 05/06/2016 11:24 PM
MIKE P. on 09/29/2015
"Disappointed"
I've been a Keller'scustomer for years and was extremely disappointed with the quote received for the timing belt repair on my Hyundai. I can get the part on line for $50 and was quoted "around a thousand" to install it. Needless to say I won't be back to Keller's. They were more worried about the diagnostic fee then they were about a longstanding customer relationship. I understand they have to make money, but this was ridiculous in my opinion. I'll just do it myself and Keller's loses a customer along with any further referrals.
Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Service Date: 09/28/2015
Review Created: 09/29/2015 07:42 AM
MARK G. on 09/17/2015
"Not what was expected..."
We have used Keller quite a few years, and have noticed a decline in service. Their initial quotes have come back significantly higher, and since our vehicles are 'broke down' feel stuck using them. We were quoted a high price, then told it wouldn't come near that cost, only to have the quote come in even higher.
Vehicle: Chevrolet S10 Pickup
Service Date: 09/15/2015
Review Created: 09/17/2015 08:19 AM
LAURIE S. on 09/04/2015
"Find a honest auto shop!"
No one bothered to tell me that my coupon for a $9.99 oil change would not even begin to cover the cost of oil change for my new Dodge Journey!! It ended up costing me over $20 for a basic oil change. I would not have gotten the oil change there. Count me out as a repeat customer as I will find a auto shop that will be up front with me and not deceive the customer!!
Vehicle: Dodge Journey
Service Date: 09/02/2015
Review Created: 09/04/2015 07:03 PM
CHELSY D. on 06/30/2015
"Car Damaged at shop with no recourse"
I have been bringing my vehicles into Kellers for years and have been satisfied until this latest visit. My car wouldn't start and I had it towed to the shop on a Saturday afternoon about an hour before closing. The shop attendant had my vehicle parked in the lot in front of the shop but closer to a church down the strip mall even though the bays were empty and easily could have stored my vehicle there safely. I get a call saying my car is ready for pickup, then I pay for my services and drive my car home. When I arrive, I then notice the passenger side rear of my vehicle was HAMMERED by another car while at the shop. This was never mentioned to me by the shop staff. I called to mention what I found and was basically told I was 'out of luck' because it is a public parking lot...

I mean my car was at THEIR shop for service and instead of parking it inside the bay to be safe somebody slammed into my car, left ~$3k worth of damage and they say 'sorry not our fault'. Well how do I know it wasn't one of your guys that ran into my car? I can't prove anything. Of course they have no security cameras on the parking lot. This is incredibly frustrating and I will no longer be bringing my vehicles to the shop.
Vehicle: Volvo XC90
Service Date: 06/01/2015
Review Created: 06/30/2015 02:02 PM
MIKE M. on 03/15/2015
"Complete change in price"
After being told the price would not go over $200, I was then told the price would be $515.
Vehicle: Nissan Frontier
Service Date: 03/13/2015
Review Created: 03/15/2015 01:07 PM
MIKE M. on 03/15/2015
"Poor Communication, Work not completed"
We were told the price would not exceed $400 and the work would be done in one day. After waiting for a day we were then told the work was not completed and it was unknown when it would be completed due to back order. This information was communicated only after having to call multiple times to get an answer. Multiple employees at Keller's passed the buck and blamed someone else in the office for the lack of communication. It also has now come to our attention that the part and install may exceed $500 in cost.
Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Service Date: 03/09/2015
Review Created: 03/15/2015 01:04 PM
MELISSA R. on 01/13/2015
"Done!"
Added extra costs, didn't even top off fluids (yes, I checked), recommended unnecessary services, formerly trusted business, but obviously time to move on. Sad to go....
Vehicle: Toyota 4Runner
Service Date: 01/12/2015
Review Created: 01/13/2015 09:36 PM
Steve E., Manager at Keller's Professional Auto & Diesel responded on 01/14/2015

Melissa, It was never our intention to add any extra cost to your bill. The capacity of your engine 6.5 qts is larger than the allowed capacity 5.0qts on the coupon and your vehicle takes a special blend of oil 0w20 synthetic verses conventional oil. The only other charge was for a special oil filter which was 9.99 vs 5.99. I certianly appreciate your business but more so your trust and we never meant to mislead you in any way.

TOM N. on 08/23/2014
"Disappointed"
I dropped my car off on a Thursday after noon and intended to pick it up on Saturday. This would give them the full day to complete the work. I give them specific instruction to call my cell phone because I would not be at my home number. They only called my home phone number and never got in-touch with me for repairs they recommended. When I called them on Saturday, they said they were not able to complete all the work on Saturday because they did not have the mechanics available. So I was not able to get the work done I needed, took off work, and wasted two day for almost nothing.
Vehicle: Toyota Camry
Service Date: 08/23/2014
Review Created: 08/23/2014 08:47 PM
Steve E., Manager at Keller's Professional Auto & Diesel responded on 08/25/2014

Mr Nefe, I greatly apoligize about the problem on Friday but the service writer did not put in thye right # and all I had was the home number to contact you with. Iam very sorry for the mishap and we certianly want to take care of your car needs and make it right for you.
Very sorry