Lakewood Lube And Repair

Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0
Overall Rating 1.0/5rating 1.0rating 1.0rating 1.0rating 1.0
Fred C. ReScore Review on 05/11/2017
Surecritic checkman logo Verified
Fred said he was dissatisfied and he had to pay extra. No one called him so he had to call them. He waited four hours and they overcharged him.
Vehicle: Ford Pickup
Service Date: 04/19/2017
Review Created: 04/22/2017

Fred said it took them 4 hours to do a compression test. They wanted to charge him $3,400 to balance the vehicle and obtain additional parts. He would not recommend this facility to anyone.
Vehicle: Ford Pickup
Service Date: 04/19/2017
Review Created: 04/22/2017
John J., Owner at Lakewood Lube And Repair responded on 05/08/2017

I am so sorry that Fred decided to be so negative in response to what was a very simple transaction.  His response is inaccurate in that we did not take 4 hours to do a compression check, and we did not tell him that we wanted $3400 to "balance his engne".  We did perform a compression check and we found that he had two dead cylinders, meaning no compression at all in those two cylinders.  We stated that the problem was either a head gasket or bad valves and in either case, the cylinder head would need to be removed.  We did give this gentleman a quote of $3400, but it was for a top overhaul on both cylinder heads of his V8 engine.  We never used the words "balance the engine" and I don't know where he got that terminology.  Balancing engines is a specialty performed by very few shops and has nothing to do with a repair.  Obviously Fred did not like the result of his visit here, but his total bill was $149.50 which he paid.  We have his estimate on file, and we are unhappy that Fred is unhappy, but his review has nothing at all to do with reality.

BILL H. on 06/30/2016
"jeep repair"
everything went smooth. service, fast and got repairs done in timely and friendly manner. good service
Vehicle: Jeep Liberty
Service Date: 06/28/2016
Review Created: 06/30/2016 05:06 AM
DEANNA A. on 10/12/2015
"Horrible service"
Car in for Diagnostic. Preston called and said we needed $2700 of work to get check engine light off. When my husband called, a diagnostic had never been performed, but yet Preston said $2700 of work needed to be done. In actuality, car needed absolutely NOTHING, it passed emissions with flying colors. Your shop is a rip off and I will never return nor recommend. I will also be notifying BBB.
Vehicle: Volkswagen Passat
Service Date: 10/09/2015
Review Created: 10/12/2015 06:50 AM
John J., Owner at Lakewood Lube And Repair responded on 10/17/2015

Deanna,

I am the owner of Lakewood Lube and Repair.  I'm very sorry that you had such a bad experience at my facility.  I know that I can't make you happy about this, but I do wish to clarify a couple of things.  A computer diagnostic was performed on your vehicle, which produced two codes that pointed to a catalytic converter problem.  Preston gave you a quote based on those codes, which was a mistake on his part, and I have had two long conversations with him about why we cannot produce an estimate based only on computer codes.  I am so sorry about this, but Preston is new to his position, having spent nearly five years at Jiffy Lube, which does not do technical diagnostics or repairs.

I take full responsibilty for this situation, but even the best of training is no substitute for real on-the-job experience.  I was not in the shop when Preston called you with his quote, and this would not have happened had I been present.  I know this does not make you feel any better about it.

I was here when your son (presumed) picked up the car, and I had a nice conversation with him at that time.  I very clearly told him that the quote was a worst-case scenario, and that these codes could be repaired in several less expensive ways, depending on what further diagnostics revealed.  I clearly told him that this problem could be as simple as "an air or vacuum leak, or even a broken vacuum hose".  I know that if you ask him he will affirm this.  He is a very nice and well-mannered young man and we had a clear and distinct conversation.  He responded that he would just have to "see what his parents want to do".

Sometimes, we make mistakes.  But, we did not overcharge you, nor sell you any parts that you did not need.  We did not complete the diagnosis on your issues.  You were charged a very minimum amount and told that it could be a simple problem.  At this shop, we do not cheat anyone.  I'm so very sorry for Preston's poor approach in this matter, but you would never be charged such an amount unless futher and complete diagnostics led us to conclude that this was really needed.  I am confidant that Preston has learned a big lesson, and that this will not happen again.  And, again, I am very sorry for your concern and loss of faith in my shop.  I wish I could do more than apologize, but that is all that I can do.

Sincerely,

John Paul Jones, Owner
Lakewood Lube and Repair

Lia R. on 07/16/2015
Lia said it cost $105 for an oil change and a wiper blade change. She would not return to them and would not recommend them as a result of the price.
Vehicle: Toyota Camry
Service Date: 07/13/2015
Review Created: 07/16/2015
RAYMOND G. on 03/16/2015
"Lying to long time clients"
We've been going here for several years. Took the SUV in to get the oil changed, the car came out sounding and driving bad. In short, was told by Lakewood we needed to have the cam fazier fixed, which is $2200.00 or possibly buy a new motor, which is over $3000.00 ! Took the vehicle to another shop and found out you and your mechanic were lying. It was only the spark plug #3, coil pack and clip to the coil pack, which was broke. You were suppose to change the #3 spark plug and never did. Come to find out, it only cost me $100 to fix my SUV NOT $2200.00. Now my vehicle runs perfect. It's so sad that a company like yours, robs from customers who put their trust into people like you. We will never come back nor recommend your business to anyone.
Vehicle: Ford Expedition