McCullough Auto Care & Towing

Overall Rating 2.6666667/5Overall Rating 2.6666667/5rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667
Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0
Review for McCullough Auto Care & Towing
John S. on 03/20/2013
"ABSOLUTELY DISSATISFIED!!"
I brought my truck initially because i had an oil leak and my truck was running rough. McCullough performed a major tuneup and fixed what they thought was the oil leak ($1,000). The truck was running smooth again, woohoo!! But the next day I noticed a tapping sound and later in the week I noticed oil was still leaking. My truck was NOT making any noises before I took it there, and I assumed it was tapping due to low oil because I still saw it leaking in my driveway. I took it BACK and was told it was another leak, and I agreed to let them fix it. I also told them about the tapping sound and was told it was the intake manifold crack. That's where my problem begins. I told Eric it sounds like metal on metal, he said intake manifold crack. So without having a mechanic drive the truck to listen for the metal on metal sound I complained about, he diagnosed it as intake manifold crack because he could see it. I'm not the mechanic, so I took his word and let them fix it. Another $1,000 later, my truck is STILL making the tapping sound AND appears to be leaking oil. I'm a network engineer, so I know about troubleshooting to find the issue. Throwing something against the wall and seeing what sticks is NOT a troubleshooting method. I will tell anyone that will listen not to take their vehicle to McCullough.
Vehicle: Chevrolet Tahoe
Service Date: 03/09/2013
Review Created: 03/20/2013 08:04 AM
Eric M. at McCullough Auto Care & Towing responded on 03/26/2013
Mr. Shuler, I am very sorry that you are unhappy with our repair services. Five months ago, when you originally brought your car to us, we replaced your intake manifold gasket, tuned the car up, and installed a distributor (provided by you). These repairs were done in an effort to fix a fluid leak and correct poor engine performance. Please remember that we made additional recommendations at that time to further correct the multiple fluid leaks that existed. You returned approximately 3,500 miles and 5 months later to address a noise. At that time, we replaced a leaking oil pan gasket that had been previously been recommended. We also replaced an exhaust manifold that was cracked, and the broken fastening bolts (that secure the exhaust manifold to the engine). It needs to be mentioned that this engine does consume oil because of the advanced miles, and I was concerned that the oil had not been checked during the five months between visits. The repairs performed during this visit addressed: 1) the oil being low because of the leaking oil pan gasket and consumption due to high mileage (238,000 miles); and 2) the exhaust manifold allowing exhaust to escape which creates a tapping noise. On your last visit (3 weeks later), we replaced an EGR solenoid that was broken and creating a spark knock. You had commented to me at that time that the engine noise was reduced and seemed much better than it had been. You and I had a discussion at that point about the fact that the engine noise was a by-product of oil consumption, and it may not be possible to completely resolve. It is never my practice to repair a vehicle without proper diagnosis and I do not feel that I did so with your vehicle. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me so that I may help if possible.