Phillips Auto Repair

Review for Phillips Auto Repair
Don B. on 03/31/2014
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Stay as far away from this company as you can get."
I took our SUV in for an estimate on problems with our air conditioner; they gave us a list of what it would take to fix it, over $600. When I told them we could not afford that, they printed a bill for "Diagnose a/c system of $106.29 before I could get our vehicle back. The bill was for leak dye and evacuating the system before I could get the car back. Said the part was not available as an aftermarket item (manifold hose) but I found the hose at Auto zone online when I got home! I then went to Black Hills Auto Repair; they did a free estimate on the air conditioner. Rich checked the hose and the system. All the things that Phillips said was wrong with our air conditioner were false. Black Hills repaired our air conditioner for $90. It was a bad Schrader valve..(like a tire valve core in the low pressure side) Black Hills provided us with a free estimate on inspection of our air conditioner and a reasonable cost to repair.
Service Date: 03/27/2014
Review Created: 03/31/2014 11:45 AM
Brian P. at Phillips Auto Repair responded on 04/01/2014

Don sorry you feel you had a bad experience.  There are two sides to every story.  Hopefully I can help with the matter.  First the a/c manifold hose is indeed leaking, it is NOT available from autozone (that is not the correct hose for your vehicle) or anyone other then Ford.  Was the schrader valve leaking?  Possibly but not when we checked it.  It is common though when checking the a/c pressures for technicians to push the valve in to far and cause them to leak.  As far a the cost involved I asked you up front if you wanted us to recharge the system (it was empty and install ultraviolet leak dye) which you said to do?  These items are not free and labor is not free either.  Can you go to a doctor for a free examination?  Im sorry you feel as though charging for the proper diagnosis was not correct but I cannot change that.  We know that hose is leaking and I am certain that you will find the same to be true when the "scrader" valve does not fix your problem.  Our reputation speaks for itself.  If we felt we did something wrong we would without question make it right.  We are certainly not the cheapest in town but are definitely one of the best.