Prospect Foreign Car Center

Review for Prospect Foreign Car Center
NITOR E. on 07/22/2015
"Charge for Nothing: Emission "
I was charged $300 for nothing. The check engine light on the Range Rover has always been on since the vehicle was bought new. Range Rover Dealers would reset the check engine light and charge $80 to reset the light. Once the light is rest, the vehicle would pass the emission test. Within a few days after reset, the light would come on again. This check engine light issue has been ongoing since 1997 when I acquired the Range Rover. I have never paid $300 to reset the check engine light in the period except this time that Prospect Foreign charged $300. It felt like a kick in the gut when I paid the $300 for no work; for nothing.
Vehicle: Land Rover Range Rover
Service Date: 07/15/2015
Review Created: 07/22/2015 02:26 AM
Erica N. at Prospect Foreign Car Center responded on 07/22/2015

I believe that you must have misunderstood what you were charged for on your most recent invoice. We have reset the check engine light on your land rover at least 5-10 times at ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE to you in the past year. PFCs standard charge for inspecting/resetting that light is $90. The Land Rover dealership charges $125 for that service, I just confirmed that info with their service department. I would also like to point out that if the check engine light keeps coming on in this vehicle that there is obviously work that needs to be done beyond resetting the light to take care of that problem. But that is another issue entirely.

The repairs performed most recently were repairs to the engine wiring due to no connection between the ECM and engine scanning equipment, NOT for resetting the engine light, here is the exact wording of your most recent invoice:
"Can't perform Emission test (No ECM communication). Hook up necessary scanning equipments, remove ECM plug, inspect connection and wiring harness, repair faulty connection, test car for emissions."

Please note that there is no wording in the invoice that indicates that we charged you for resetting the engine light. I would also like to point out that we gave that repair to you at a discounted rate (you originally agreed to a bill of $367, yet we gave you a $67 courtesy discount).

We have attempted to reach out to you by phone to discuss this matter but have been unable to reach you. Please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your feedback, Franco Marcantonio, President, Prospect Foreign Car