State Automotive Repair

Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0
HALEY M. on 09/14/2017
"One of a Kind"
You will not find personal and friendly service like this elsewhere. Highly recommend State for any and all automotive needs (detailing, too!)
Vehicle: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Service Date: 09/12/2017
Review Created: 09/14/2017 05:39 AM
CAROL ANN D. on 09/13/2017
"Oil change & check-up visit"
As always, everybody at State Automotive were very pleasant & welcoming, along with being efficient & speedy. I trust my car's health to these people & I am never disappointed with their work.
Service Date: 09/11/2017
Review Created: 09/13/2017 09:33 PM
TAUNYA W. on 09/11/2017
"Great service & good people"
I took my car (that I just bought....even though it was used) in to get checked out - not running right. I should have brought it to them before I bought it!!! aaahh.... They checked it out/diagnostics, etc. And since it was falling on a weekend and so that I would not be without a car, they gave me a free loaner from Thursday night to Monday AM! Good vehicle too. I gladly paid for the diagonistics, under $100, and was certainly peace of mind because the car is not driveable! He even told me, if he was me, he would not fix it because it could be more money than what I paid for the car used! Next time, straight to them for a look see under the hood before I buy a used car!
Vehicle: Audi A4
Service Date: 08/06/2017
Review Created: 09/11/2017 01:47 PM
ETHAN B. on 09/05/2017
"Did what was needed for the amount quoted"
I got eight miles to the gallon back due to the folks at State Automotive figuring out my root problem was a caliper issue, which sadly went without being noticed for a long while.
Vehicle: Toyota Prius
Review Created: 09/05/2017 05:50 PM
TERRY A. on 08/29/2017
"Very nice staff, Pleasant, Efficient, Knowledgeable !"
I'm new to the area & I called to ask about inspection. The woman who answered the phone was pleasant. She new what questions to ask & answered quickly.
The garage took me in & inspected my automobile within one hour. Everyone in the office was friendly while I waited for my inspection to be finished.
Vehicle: Honda Element
Service Date: 08/22/2017
Review Created: 08/29/2017 08:35 AM
BRIAN B. on 08/25/2017
"Attention to detail and great people "
From the moment you step in there you are treated like family. They make sure that everything is up to the highest standard and we're genuinely concerned for my driving safety. I did not feel like they were trying to sell me something. Completely enamored
Vehicle: Nissan Altima
Service Date: 08/14/2017
Review Created: 08/25/2017 08:09 PM
DEBBIE L. on 08/25/2017
"NEGLIGENT."
I left my SUV with you for your "Five Star Complete Auto Detailing" service and I was NOT notified when it was finished. It got left overnight in your lot with the windows rolled down, and bad storms with 2" of rain that evening ended up in my car!!! When i called the next day to check on it i was told it was done and i could pick it up. I found its soaking wet inside! The leather seats were water stained, the doors were all streaked with watermarks, the electronics and speakers in the door were filled with water, and the carpets were soaked!

They told me they would make good on it and remove the stains and soggy carpets but the damage done to the SUV inside the door from all the water is not something they even addressed. They did not offer me my money back, or even a partial refund! I was inconvenienced a whole extra day, and the car may have damage that I can not see and overtime may cause problems.

It was complete negligence on the part of state automotive. And I am not satisfied with the end result.
They should NOT have made me pay $230. after causing all that damage to my car and offered some compensation.
Vehicle: GMC Acadia
Service Date: 08/22/2017
Review Created: 08/25/2017 06:30 AM
Andrew D., LLC Manager at State Automotive Repair responded on 08/25/2017

First, we are not without blame. If we had completed 1 (called the customer instead of texting) and 2 (left the windows all the way up), there would not have been any issues and we are confident that we would have a happy customer.

1 - Our detailer failed to call the night before to tell the customer that the vehicle’s detailing had been completed. He did however text the customer that it was done and at drop off we told the customer it would be done the same day. The customer states that she never received the text.

2 - The windows were left open and it did rain that evening. The detailer leaves the windows open a crack (approximately 4 - 6 inches) after every interior detailing, otherwise the vehicle will fog up inside. This is due to the interior carpets having been shampooed.

Also, it is true we did not offer a discount or refund – nor did the customer request one.

When the customer arrived in person on Wednesday morning about 11am, I listened to the customer’s concerns and immediately contacted our detailer who works off site. I explained to the detailer that the windows had been left open overnight and the customer was telling me there was 2” of water in the vehicle. He had not arrived at the detailing facility and he informed me that he would be in at approximately 12noon and agreed to go over things and make things right, the same thing that I had also told the customer moments before.

I proposed giving the customer a ride home and that we would bring her vehicle back to the detailer for him to address her concerns. The customer graciously accepted this compromise.

It was at this time that I actually stepped out of our facility to view the customer’s concerns. I approached the vehicle and opened the passengerside rear door and everything looked and smelled great. The customer then pointed out that the rear windows had not been left open and it was the front ones that had been. I closed the door and opened the passengerside front door expecting the worst possible situation under the circumstances, perhaps inches of standing water on the floor or worse. Instead, I found a dry seat, damp carpets and a couple of drops of water under the window on the door.

I repeated my apology and my desire to resolve her concerns. The customer needed to point out some marks on the door under the window to me as I didn’t see them at first glance. I agreed that the doors needed to be touched up. The customer stated that the seats had marks on them from water – which I could not see myself and I put my face inches away from the passengerside front seat to see if I could see anything unusual. In addition, the seat was completely dry and very clean from the detailing. The customer stated that the carpet was “soggy”. I felt the carpet and the mat over the carpet and they were both damp – exactly what you would expect after a carpet that was recently shampooed. I turned to the customer and explained that I had been expecting significant standing water and was then told that was not the case. The customer then said that there was not 2” of water in the car, but that it had rained 2” that night. However, the customer agreed with me that the carpet was damp to the touch and not soaked. I explained that this would be a quick clean up and probably take less than 20 minutes to resolve once the detailer started working on it.

I had the customer point out her concerns to my finance manager, since he would meet with our detailer. Our sales manager then dropped off the customer at her home, both the sales manager and finance manager reviewed the customer’s concerns with the detailer. The detailer brought the customer’s vehicle in ahead of a scheduled appointment and addressed the concerns. The lead detailer supervised and reviewed the work and contacted us once the work was completed less than an hour after we dropped off the customer. My finance manager (who also works in our service department) then contacted the customer and advised her that the work was completed and would it be OK to drop it off at her home. The customer stated she was out, but it would be OK to do. My finance manager then picked up the vehicle, inspected for the customer’s concerns and dropped off the vehicle at her home. Because we had limited personnel at the time, the finance manager dropped the vehicle off and walked back to our repair facility (which was miles away) because we didn’t want the customer to be without her vehicle.

In part, no discount was offered because on inspection of the customer’s concerns by myself (with the customer), our detailers, our sales manager and our finance manager we found no significant issue(s) ...

Although it MAY have rained 2" the night before, the interior was barely affected. The carpets in the front were damp - from the shampooing not the rain. The leather seats were dry but had some of evidence of where drops of water had been. There was some minor streaking on the interior door panels below the door windows.

There was no “damage” to the SUVs inside doors – and no speakers or electronics were affected.

The customer is preparing to sell the vehicle privately and she brought it in for a detailing that she had stated was very dirty. Ultimately, we performed 6 hours of detailing work to the vehicle for the $229.95 agreed upon.

Based on the tone of the complaint and the crux of the complaint focusing more on money than anything else, I honestly feel the customer is looking for something-for-nothing. As previously stated, we should have called instead of texting and the windows should not been left cracked open when the vehicle hadn’t been picked up by the customer. However, we strongly feel the complaint to be completely blown out of proportion and unreasonable.

JAMIE W. on 08/14/2017
"Pleasant, knowledgeable and informative staff!!!"
It is always a pleasure working with the team...I know my car is in good hands and that only the required/necessary work is done...no more and no less!!!
Vehicle: Audi allroad
Service Date: 08/08/2017
Review Created: 08/14/2017 05:16 AM
William M. on 08/12/2017
"Outstanding customer service and workmanship!"
Every person should read the mission statement prominently displayed beneath the television in the waiting area. This clearly defines and exemplifies what you can expect from your State Automotive experiences!
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
Review Created: 08/12/2017 02:31 PM
AMANDA Z. on 08/12/2017
"Great cleaning"
My car was beautifully clean when they were done!
Vehicle: MINI Cooper Coupe
Review Created: 08/12/2017 05:57 AM
ERICA H. on 08/08/2017
"Proactive + Organized"
I've been taking my car to State Automotive Repair since I first moved to Newburyport in 2009. I have come to expect excellent service and a great, informative conversation about whatever repairs my car needs. But this most recent visit was a great reminder of how organized and proactive the crew at State Automotive Repair is! Not only do they inspect the car every time it's in the shop and let you know about upcoming needs, but they even knew when my annual inspection was due! And, since I had completely forgotten to get the car inspected, they got it done for me. They don't do state inspections at the shop, so they actually drove my car to a nearby inspection station and got it done for me. That is just going above and beyond!
Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra GT
Service Date: 07/24/2017
Review Created: 08/08/2017 11:31 AM
NEAL M. on 08/07/2017
"New Tires"
Ordered tires from Tire Rack and State Automotive was able to schedule installation right away. Tires were installed and wheels balanced.
Vehicle: Toyota RAV4
Service Date: 08/01/2017
Review Created: 08/07/2017 07:19 AM
DAMIEN T. on 08/04/2017
"Auto detailing"
Nice job. Would recommend.
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz E350
Service Date: 08/02/2017
Review Created: 08/04/2017 01:35 PM
GIGI G. on 07/27/2017
"Detailing was impeccable!"
The detailing State did on my car was reasonably priced and very thorough. My car looks great! Now I just have to keep my dog and kids out of my car! :)
Vehicle: Honda CR-V
Service Date: 07/24/2017
Review Created: 07/27/2017 09:00 AM
BRIAN B. on 07/26/2017
"Great job"
They were knowledgeable and courteous and had great vehicles for sale as well
Vehicle: Nissan Altima
Service Date: 07/10/2017
Review Created: 07/26/2017 10:10 AM
CAROLYN D. on 07/14/2017
"friendly, expedient. quality service"
Terrific
Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Service Date: 07/12/2017
Review Created: 07/14/2017 04:34 AM
Jeffrey R. on 07/08/2017
"Quality service "
I have been having cars serviced here for many years. The service is excellent - quality work and personal service.
Vehicle: Audi A4
Service Date: 07/06/2017
Review Created: 07/08/2017 07:15 AM
CAROL ANN D. on 06/26/2017
"Toyota Corolla Maintenance"
Andrew and his team are always pleasant, trustworthy and take good care of my 2010 Toyota Corolla. They have cute loaner vehicles too.
Service Date: 06/09/2017
Review Created: 06/26/2017 09:53 AM
JUSTIN Y. on 06/20/2017
"Great people "
This is a family environment that makes you feel welcome to be there they have great knowledge and no pushy up-sales they recommend what should be done and tell you what needs to be done from there it's up to you but these are very straightforward people and I appreciate that coming from an automotive background so if you need any work done or just basic maintenance please go see State Automotive you will not be misled
Vehicle: Ford Expedition
Service Date: 05/16/2017
Review Created: 06/20/2017 02:29 PM
SHEILA B. on 06/12/2017
"Professional, caring, and always there when you need them."
Andrew and his crew always go the extra mile. I left my car with them on a recent Saturday knowing they did not have a courtesy car available, and they said "Don't worry, one of us can give you a ride home". That says it all for me - amazing personal service!
Service Date: 06/10/2017