Summers Automotive Service, Inc.

JESSICA C. on 02/26/2012
"We love them"
My husband and I used to live next door and were so happy with the service, honesty, and trustworthiness of Summers that we drive from Des Moines if we have an issue that we want looked at and/or repaired.
Vehicle: BMW 330i
Service Date: 02/21/2012
Review Created: 02/26/2012 10:13 PM
PAM C. on 02/20/2012
"Summers automotve"
Very satisfied with the work done by Summers. Quick, professional, reasonably priced.
Dan Clark
Vehicle: Toyota Camry Solara
Service Date: 02/17/2012
Review Created: 02/20/2012 02:10 PM
Teresa H. on 02/20/2012
Teresa said this business was honest, helpful and they made sure to fix the issue.
Service Date: 02/15/2012
Review Created: 02/20/2012
BARRY G. on 02/15/2012
"Routine maintenance"
We always have exceptional service and complete confidence in this automotive service team.
Vehicle: Honda Civic
Service Date: 02/13/2012
Review Created: 02/15/2012 06:48 AM
CHRIS D. on 02/14/2012
"Another good job"
We have 5 older cars that all need work; and Summers does a great job!
Vehicle: Subaru Outback
Service Date: 02/13/2012
Review Created: 02/14/2012 08:28 PM
LARRY H. on 02/09/2012
"Quality of Service and Dependability"
We've been bringing our car and truck to you for many years now. I have NEVER had a complaint about your service, charges, or dependability. We have recommended you many times and have never regretted it. The new customers we've sent you love your work as much as we do!
Vehicle: Cadillac Fleetwood
Service Date: 02/07/2012
Review Created: 02/09/2012 04:16 PM
Chris E. on 02/09/2012
Chris said he had an appointment for Wednesday and he called on Tuesday and asked if there was any way they could take his vehicle in on that day. They said they were not sure if they could get to it but to bring it in. At 1:00 pm they called and told him they looked at his vehicle and found out what was wrong. They asked if he wanted to have them fix the problem. He said he did and they had it fixed by 5:00 pm.
Service Date: 01/24/2012
Review Created: 02/09/2012
Stacy T. on 02/09/2012
Spoke with Stacey. She said this business went above and beyond for her during services and she appreciated everything the business did for her.
Service Date: 01/20/2012
Review Created: 02/09/2012
DENNIS C. on 10/15/2011
"Fixing the series of tubes"
Brought in the van Friday morning, was out by 3. Replaced the exhaust crossover pipe. Cost was slightly higher than estimate, but they didn't account for the gaskets - not to worried about that. Interestingly, the vehicle (98 Plymouth Grand Voyager v6 3.3) runs much smoother now. =)
Service Date: 10/14/2011
Review Created: 10/15/2011 10:18 PM
MARK L. on 09/12/2011
"5 Stars for Summers Automotive "
We have been going to Summers and recommending them for years. They are honest, trustworthy and great to work with. Friends we have recommended have called to thank us and felt the exact same way.
Service Date: 08/31/2011
Review Created: 09/12/2011 06:17 AM
RON W. on 09/06/2011
"Car repair"
Had work done to bring a car up to good condition after we purchased it. The estimate was accurate, and all the work was done. We trust Summers Automotive.
Service Date: 08/10/2011
Review Created: 09/06/2011 10:25 PM
DENNIS C. on 09/06/2011
"Quick service, done right"
I've had this shop working on my car since just last year on recommendation of a friend - a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with just over 201K on 'er is my vehicle of choice. Back in December, they replaced the tensioner pulley for my accessory drive belt; this spring, they did a work-up and replaced my starter and fuel pump. Last month, when something else went wrong, instead of charging me thousands like a nearby chain would have done for the full wiring loom and subsequent removal and replacement of the entire dash board, they spliced on a new connector to make the fuel pump work again. (Fuel pump wiring shorted to ground. One splice later and bam, done and ready to rock and roll.)

This is a shop who is honest, busts their chops, and knows what they're doing. In fact, they're so good, you have to set appointments up to a week out - that's the ONLY down shot. So if it's critical you gotta get something done NOW, unfortunately, this isn't the place to go - but if you need a good, honest mechanic who isn't out for nothing more than a boat payment, then this is very much the place to go - and it's worth having to take the bus for a week to get to these guys and have them work on your vehicle! =)
Service Date: 08/18/2011
Review Created: 09/06/2011 08:15 PM
DAN E. on 08/28/2011
"Thanks for the excellent service!"
Thanks for fitting in our daughter's old Camry for work on the antenna. She was so happy to get it fixed before she went on a road trip to Portland!
Service Date: 08/03/2011
Review Created: 08/28/2011 06:39 PM
TIM H. on 08/28/2011
"Misc; Truck Suspension Squeaking"
Of late, I feel there is an unfortunate pattern developing wherein problems presented to Summers are not accurately diagnosed, which often leads to multiple visits for me over time, and a lot of what seems to be extra costs for me (and at times, to you as well). As there have been misc. cases, I'll go back to try and relay my concerns:

1) June 2010: Gas gauge way off was my initial complaint. Inv. 33141 said "fuel gauge works correctly at this time - fuel sender is giving false signals". I paid 140.34 as a cost for engine performance which apparently included checking this gauge at the time.

2) Aug 2010: Returned truck for same fuel gauge problem on invoice 33431. I paid 187.12 for remove & replace side tank, and I think I was told the tank's entire fuel sending unit initially had to be replaced at a cost of over $300. I decided against doing that and was later called by Eric to say that he could partially repair a portion of the unit for less money than originally thought, so I said go ahead and fix it if that was the case.

3) Sept 2010: Returned again for fuel tank issue on inv. 33731. Was told that the baffles in the gas tank were actually stuck and that someone in the shop who had "skinny arms" (Eric?) had to reach in there and apparently unstick or re-align them, and that took care of the problem. (You can imagine how this made me feel after being told (and paying for) in August that the problem was the fuel sending unit, and also that it took 3 months to accurately diagnose and fix the problem; I still was out for the sending unit repair when I wasn't sure that was even needed after you discovered the baffle issue).

4) RR taillight board issues: Brian and I have discussed this multiple times, and I know Summers absorbed some costs here, but time and trouble for both parties still doesn't even things out as your customer did not get his problem correctly diagnosed until multiple visits were done. The board has been replaced at least three times over a long period. (There was never a problem with the LR board). Maybe there was an issue, in triplicate, with "bad boards" over time and over various suppliers, but in the recent end, after prodding by me that there had to be some sort of other issue, like a power or voltage spike or something that was frying boards, that the problem was just recently diagnosed once and for all as a "bad ground wire".

I did ask why the work instruction for analyzing such a repeated part failure up until now didn't include an electrical analysis (which you did do this last time on 8-19-11 on invoice 35716, but apparently never before then), and you discovered what you said was a full 1 volt drop due to a bad ground wire, which you replaced - and wanted to charge me for. We discussed the long term, repeated issue here and you then agreed to not charge me for that, but I did pay $46.78 for .5 hrs. of shop time on invoice 35716. So far as of this writing (8-28-11), the turn signal is working properly, but again, it took a very long time and repeated trips to your shop before getting a final, accurate diagnosis.

5) Invoice 3554 in July 2011 detailed a lube/oil/filter request and I also asked Summers to check for suspension squeaking (it was called "noise" on the invoice). Frankly I expected a full lubrication to take care of the issue. I was told that no suspension squeaking was discovered. Over time since this appt., the squeaking was still prevalent and not fixed at all. I could not return back to Summers for an appt. until Aug 19, 2011 (I had to wait about a week to get a re-appointment on a return problem issue) on invoice 35716 (again to also include a bad RR turn signal), but mainly for "heavy suspension squeakage".

I spoke with Brian and I said it was very prevalent, and that turning at slow speeds, going over speed bumps, and driving next to buildings were examples of when it could be heard. Brian called later to say that they eventually found the problem was "bad outer tie rod ends", and that he put a scope on them and could hear "grinding" inside. I asked if he was sure this was the issue (because of ongoing doubt due to diagnosis issues from past experience, I pointedly asked this), and he said "yes".

I asked how serious this was and we generally discussed steering failure could result if not taken care of. I said ok, but this was going to be another $300+ bill for me, so again, I wanted to be assured by him that he was right. Later, I believe that same day, I received a call from Eric this time to say that they had more time to look at the vehicle after people had gone home (??) and Eric's diagnosis to Brian was that it really was not the outer tie rod ends, but something else. He then lubed the lower ball joint(s) and that completely took care of the problem without tie rod end replacements or associated costs quoted. (I don't know if lubing lower ball joints is included in your lube/oil/filter specials, but if it is, that was not done in June 2011 on inv. 3554. If it isn't included, maybe in the future it should be?).

I apologize for the long amount of feedback, and I do believe in proper feedback, but my confidence that I am always paying for truck repairs that are accurately diagnosed is shaken at this point, as would be anyone's. I've been advised to find someone else for future truck repairs, and I am considering it.

I do know that auto repairs and diagnosing can be problematic at times, and that no one has all the answers, but your reputation and business are looked to by consumers for accurate answers. I know very little about auto mechanics, but I'm not short on common sense, logic, or shy about asking questions. However, we are beyond just seeing "coincidence" occur with me on this truck in terms of really believing the initial diagnosis by Summers is truly accurate in all cases (and these things I've mentioned so far are really small repair issues; I shudder to think what may have happened on larger repair bills which I had no idea to fully question before now).

I enjoy working with you all there, and it takes a lot for me to get to this point, but my confidence in Summers is again, shaken. Let's hope the truck gives us no reason for repairs in the near term, and that my near term memory will also fade by the time I need to address my repair needs in the future. With an '89 vehicle, we all know there will be future business needed somewhere.

Thank you for asking for feedback. It was done in good faith.

Tim Herman
Service Date: 08/19/2011
Review Created: 08/28/2011 10:07 AM
TOM A. on 08/27/2011
"Summers Automotive "
Last visit was great.
Excellent service, as always.
Service Date: 08/04/2011
Review Created: 08/27/2011 06:58 PM
MARIELLE G. on 08/27/2011
"Alaways perfect"
Service and people-skills are top, prices are regular. Always a pleasure to have my cars serviced there.
Service Date: 08/01/2011