Toyota of Puyallup

Review for Toyota of Puyallup
FRANK B. on 08/20/2013
My pickup is supposed to get 21 to 25 MPG but is only getting 15 to 19 MPG. Service dept says readings show everything OK without any further investigation. I have been driving for economy but have still gotten poor MPG. Did not change oil but should have but at least they called later to come in and get it done. Lousy wash job and still missed spots second time around.
Category: Service
Service Date: 08/20/2013
Review Created: 08/20/2013 04:14 PM
Rich C. at Toyota of Puyallup responded on 08/21/2013

Hi Mr. Byles,

I’m writing in regard to your concern with the fuel economy on your Tacoma and the recent survey response you gave us.  First and foremost, I really appreciate your feedback.  I’m sorry to hear you’re not fully understanding of what we did, but I hope to clear that up.

Unfortunately, fuel economy is not “adjustable” by anything we can do.  The computer that runs your vehicle adjusts timing, idle, and other engine systems automatically and achieves the best fuel economy is possibly can based on given criteria.  MPG will vary based upon driving conditions, drivers, accessories being run, time of year, operating temperature of engine, and much more.  When you brought your vehicle in last week, we did more than just nothing.  We fully checked the vehicles computer system for faults and found none.  We also checked what’s referred to as your long and short fuel trim.  This reading indicates to us whether or not there might be problems within the fuel delivery system and that the vehicle is running with the appropriate air/fuel ratio.  Those specs were right where they needed to be.  If we failed to communicate that to you, I’m sure sorry!  I’m sure it would help you to feel better if you knew how we inspected your vehicle or what we did to ensure we thoroughly checked things out.

Please keep a close eye on things.  In all honesty, I’d say that the MPG you are achieving is pretty close to the average Tacoma owner.  Some get better, but all in all the high teens is pretty par for the course.  Keep in mind something else too… in the wintertime that will probably go down by a couple miles.  Winter driving (and even the gasoline you put in your vehicle during winter months) is not good for optimal fuel economy.  I’ve seen as much as a 20% decrease during that time of the year in certain vehicles.

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.  Thanks again for the feedback on the survey and we’ll keep working to be better.