Toyota of Puyallup

Review for Toyota of Puyallup
Gerald D. on 07/23/2014
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Too much oil "
I just had my 2013 Tacoma serviced at Toyota of Puyallup. For the third time in a row, I got my truck back with too much oil in the crankcase. I reported it the first two times and they assured me that it would not happen again. Well, it happened again. They always say that they have fixed the problem (in house). Not so!
Category: Service
Service Date: 07/21/2014
Review Created: 07/23/2014 08:21 PM
Rich C. at Toyota of Puyallup responded on 07/28/2014

Hi Gerald,

We really want to get to the bottom of this problem for you.  I apologize there's been so much confusion recently.  I spoke with a couple of the more "tenured" mechanics and they brought something to my attention that I was not previously aware of.  Per Toyota (as printed in their Owner's Manual), your particular engine needs to run approximately 5 minutes after an oil change, then shut off and check the dipstick.  Checking immediatley afterward will not provide an accurate amount of oil actually in the engine.  Additionally, I've learned (through speaking with the techs) that the Tacoma dipstick often shows two different readings on either side of it.  So, after the vehicle has sat, if you pull the dipstick to check the level, one side might show high while the other side shows low.  You'll also need to make sure that it is on flat ground.  After your last vist, we had all of the oil reel guns in our shop recalibrated to manufacturers specs.  We're confident that issue has been resolved.  Because we're dealing with an isolated complaint here (we don't have other customer's concerned with inaccurate oil levels) it leads me to believe that either there's a quirk with your truck or it is the nature of how the Tacoma's oil needs to be checked.  Can you please help me by testing out that theory and letting me know how it turns out?  I realize this is a frustrating issue and we definitely want to get to the bottom of it.  We may just be fighting the nature of the beast on this one, though.
Thank you again for taking the time to report this!  We surely want our customer's leaving our shop knowing that our services and repairs are accurate.   Is there anything else that I can to in this sense that would make this situation right for you?