Toyota of Puyallup

Review for Toyota of Puyallup
STEPHEN M. on 11/26/2014
"Waste of Time"
I had a flat on my '07 Tundra, so I stopped by the Service Department to have it repaired. I was prepared to pay for the repair, but figured that it would be free since I had bought the tires from this dealership (to the tune of almost $1200 for the set). I was told it might take as much as an hour, to which I agreed. After about 45 minutes I was told that a screw had punctured through the tread about 2.5" from the edge of the tread and they weren't allowed to plug the tire for safety reasons. I ended up going to a local tire company that said they were not aware of any regulation prohibiting tread puncture repairs. It took them all of 15 minutes to get me back on the road--and they didn't charge me a cent. Guess where I'll be buying tires from in the future...
Category: Service
Service Date: 11/21/2014
Review Created: 11/26/2014 10:55 AM
Rich C. at Toyota of Puyallup responded on 12/04/2014

Thank you for the information and I'm so sorry about your dissatisfaction.
Here at Toyota, we follow the recommendations of the Rubber Manufacturers of America's guidelines when it comes to repairing tires.  This means that the puncture cannot be approaching the sidewall or be too large in diameter.  Please see this link:
However, I am aware that there are shops that will perform repairs outside of our guidelines.  It's basically a judegement call by each facility.  We feel that we would rather air on the side of caution when it comes to patching a tire.  If it's questionable as far as location, there is a possibility the patch can fail and the tire can blow out.
I'm very sorry for your concerns and I do appreciate your business.  I hope you can understand our position.  Please feel free to call me back at any time to discuss and we hope to see you for future services.

Rich Conley