Toyota of Puyallup

Review for Toyota of Puyallup
Douglas B. on 12/05/2014
"Work solved problem but keeping the customer aware failed."
My service ended with my Rav4 getting fixed and that is good, but my service was expensive enough that I needed to know everything the technician planned to do before fixing the problem.
The Rav4 was brought in for service because it would not start. First diagnosis from the technician was a clogging fuel injector and recommended cleaning the injectors. I was contacted at this time and my cost was going to be $110 for the diagnosis and $200+ for the injection cleaning. I approved this effort since I did not have the expertise nor the equipment to do an injection cleaning.
Later in the afternoon, I received a call from the service department to let me know the car was ready for pickup with one change in the service which had already been complete. The technician prior to doing the injector cleaning found that the problem was not clogged injectors but actually was a wire in the engine compartment that had been damaged by the serpentine belt and was shorting out. This was fixed without my approval and my car was ready for pickup with a $430+ charge.
I was happy to have my car fixed, but I was frustrated too because I did not give approval to fix the wire.
The fact for this is that I am totally capable (electrical engineer) fixing a frayed wire myself and feel that given the situation, I should have been given the option to pay the $110 diagnostic fee and fix the wire myself.
I did not complain at the time that I picked up my car because I was happy to have my vehicle back, but looking back, Toyota of Puyallup failed me this time. They have given me good service in the past and that is probably why I did not react so quickly, but I am disappointed this time. Sadly, this will affect my decision when I am considering who I bring my vehicle to in the future for this type of service.
Vehicle: TOYOTA RAV4