Latest Review over 1 year ago

Jennifer R.
Volkswagen Jetta
04/18/2017
Double charged... and too much for service/time completed
This review is based on my last couple of experiences there. Prior to that I've been fairly happy with my service there....
Something was wrong with my car last Fall and after a couple failed attempts, it was determined what was wrong. I dropped off the car as I was leaving town & mentioned my turn signal was only working sporadically. They identified right then what was likely the culprit and I didn't think much of it again after that. The next day I got a call with an estimate of costs for repair and it was much more than I anticipated, so I told them not to bother with the turn signal at that point. However, when I picked up the car I had been charged almost $60 for 'labor' on the signal. When I called to ask about it they said they had to check and see if that was the issue. But they failed to mention on the phone when I was initially authorizing the charges for repairs that I was going to be charged that, and that the part itself was only another $23 added to the total bill- that was frustrating... So when I finally brought the car back for the signal repair, I was charged another $60 + the cost of the part ($23) and they literally had the car 10 minutes before it was done. So essentially I was charged over $140 for a total of 20 minutes worth of work (including the $23 part) to get my turn signal fixed. Lame.
I have a car that requires a specialty shop to service, so in that regard, I am happy with their work and would likely recommend to someone who had a similar car- but I think this was handled poorly.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 04/18/2017

Good day Jennifer I would like to apoligize for the misunderstanding I didnt realise that you had previously paid for the checking of the turn signals. Could you contact me please  so I can credit your credit card 75.00. I hope that will help make things right. I have always appreciated your business and am really thankful that you brought this to my attention. I hope we can continue our business relationship, Thanks very much Alan.

John T.
West Linn, OR
Porsche Boxster
01/24/2017
Very high shop supplies charge!
Hi Alan,
I'm satisfied with the service I received of changing the headlight switch, but when I got home and looked at the invoice, I was very disappointed with the $34.88 "Shop Supplies" charge!! That's a lot for what the job encompassed!

Earlier this year, I had a $1,157 job done (elsewhere) and was charged $13.04 shop supplies (that's understandable) and another job for $ 206 for which I was charged $3.00 for shop supplies, that's reasonable.
I really find the $34.88 shop supplies charge extremely high for the nature of the work done.!

Regards,
John Tabbal
Invoice 8050
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 01/25/2017

Good morning John, thank you for taking the time to post a review. Shop supplies need to service cars these days has increased tremendously and the fairest way to recover those costs is a percentage of labor. I reviewed your work order and see that Paul discounted the supply charge by $16.00. We always take into consideration the type of job that was done and recalculate the shop supplies accordingly and apply a discount as needed. If you take the listed shop supply charge and discount the total would be 18.88 for shop supplies.
Thanks.

AA
Aaron A.
Happy Valley, OR
Volkswagen Phaeton
04/15/2017
Access to dealer-level tech info
A&P invests in subscription software from the manufacturer that gives them dealer-level access to tech info about the VW they service for me. They can solve any problem the dealer can solve. Their prices seem to have gone way up in recent years, however. They are no longer a bargain, but they Allen and Paul are much more personable than Dick Hannah, the nearest VW dealer.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 04/19/2017

Thanks Aaron were sorry that the Pheaton is so complex and the cost to repair is high but I think you will agree that it is an awsome road car, Thanks for all the years of trust in us. Alan & Paul.

Justine S.
12/29/2016 Category: Service
Justine said they recommended a solution to the problem and even though it was done, her vehicle still did not work. She still had to pay for it.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 01/04/2017

Good afternoon we  thank you for the survey response and centainly understand your frustration on the heater problem,although the flushing improved the heat output slightly and the flushing needed to be done to determine the out come that the heater core needed replacement.we are glad that your son now has plenty of heat with the new heater core. Thanks again and please have a great new year. Alan & Paul.

Jurgan P.
12/28/2016 Category: Service
Jurgan said the business was good.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 01/04/2017

Thanks Jurgan we hope you have a great year, Alan & Paul.

JN
John N.
11/26/2016 Category: Service
John said the business is good at what they do.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 11/29/2016

Good day John thanks for taking the time review,we hope you have a great holiday season. Alan & Paul.

PC
Paula C.
Hood River, OR
08/22/2016
great place!
There was a mistake with the date of my appointment (online booking mis-read) but they squeezed me right in away and totally fixed everything I was concerned about and did an oil change. Paul is always friendly and nice to work with. He treats me with great respect and I don't feel ripped off or messed with just because I am a woman.

AY
Adrienne Y.
Volkswagen GTI
07/26/2016
Good service, professional
It was pretty easy & quick to get in to make an appointment. I was recommended to the shop by a friend with an older VW. The conversations i had on the phone with the company were for the most part good - in the beginning the person I was talking to was very patient with my questions, but by the last couple conversations he seemed a little annoyed to speak with me. The car was running great when it picked it up, I could notice a difference while driving it. Although the main reason why I brought my car into the shop had not changed, but no one could consistently replicate what I was experiencing. (There was a rev-ing in the engine while I was idling. The car still inconsistently does this.) The shop was able to accommodate me by leaving my car on the street so I could pick it up after business hours. My only complaint was that the spare key I lent the shop was in plain view in the car when I went to pick it up. Overall my experience was good.

AJ
Alonda J.
07/22/2016 Category: Service
Alonda said she was the most happy with the business but she was told one price for her oil change and she had also gotten a diagnostic done on her vehicle. They had told her what the price was going to be but after the repairs were completed they had given her a whole different price than what they said it would be the first time.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 07/25/2016

Dear Alonda I am glad we could find your intermittent transmission shifting problem,we hope that the selling dealer will help on tranamission repairs. Best regards. Alan & Paul.

PK
Paul K.
Oregon City, OR
Porsche Cayman
07/20/2016 Category: Service
Paul said there were other issues with the vehicle, that should have been caught by the mechanic. He will be taking the vehicle back. He still had a good experience.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 07/22/2016

Thanks Paul for taking the time to review,we always strive to keep your vehicle in top condition for your driving pleasure. Alan.

Dale G.
Happy Valley, OR
BMW 328i
06/30/2016 Category: Service
Dale said as far as the work he asked this business to do, they did a wonderful job providing service. However, he asked them to check all of the fluids. He just found out his coolant is low, so they obviously did not check that.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 07/08/2016

Sorry about the coolant, we always strive to provide the best service thanks for letting me know, we hope you have a great summer.

AF
Alisa F.
05/14/2016 Category: Service
Spoke with Alisa's husband. He said he already has recommended others to this business.

CT
Christopher T.
Las Vegas, NV
08/20/2018
"Non-Disco, Straight Shooting and a Down-To-Earth German Auto Repair Establishment
I was just a kid who probably had no idea just how badly the deck (back then) was stacked against me, when Alan took an interest in me, like the uncle I never had.

I owe him so much. Back when I lived in Portland, I was taken with his comprehensive knowledge of Porsche, Audi, and Volkswagen equipment, which for me today (as it was then) is second to none.

But, what I remember most was he never forgot where he came from and he was open to learning whatever he could use from virtually everyone he came in contact with. And top be candid, there are one or two Porsche stories we were able to share, which may qualify as "Paranormal Porsche Anomalies," LOL!!!

In other words, if I had not been there to witness said anomalies, I too would have a most difficult time believing they occurred. But, I digress. All I know is this, I cannot say enough good things about Alan or his loving wife, Kim. He puts his knowledge, heart, sincerity, guts, and soul into everything he does for his customers. For what it is worth, a more knowledgeable and sincere master-of-the-craft you will not find in the Portland Metropolitan Area, and probably the whole West Coast, and I mean that sincerely.

PE
Pat E.
Vancouver, WA
08/21/2017
This is the ONLY place I ever go for Porsche Service
A&P Specialties has serviced every Porsche, Audi, VW, and BMW that I and every person my family have ever owed for more than 15 years, as as long as A&P Specialties is there... It will the only place I continue to go to in the future. The service is excellent, the price is always right, and I simply would not trust another mechanics hands on my Porsche's.

MK
Michael K.
05/05/2017
First-class in every way!
Realistic scheduling; thorough info gathering to identify problems/symptoms; consultation on repairs in progress/ obtain permission before proceeding beyond original scope of work; completed work on time within repair budget and car returned clean inside and out. Thorough and professional in every respect.

OH
Oscar H.
Clackamas, OR
05/04/2017
Always on time with the right information and fair price
It is a pleasure to call and make an appointment with Paul the Service Manager. Paul is very knowledgeable and professional in his assessments of what is needed for my vehicle. I appreciate the time he takes to ensure my vehicle is repaired correctly the first time and proactively inspects all common areas of the vehicle for possible problems that may arise in the future. Great Job Paul. Great Job A&P Team!
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 05/05/2017

Many thanks Oscar we really appreciate your trust in us and we hope you have a great summer, Alan & Paul.

PC
Paula C.
Hood River, OR
04/29/2017
excellent trustworthy service every time!
Paul and all the staff (i wish i could remember everyone's names!) are always very courteous and professional! It is always intimidating, (and particularly as a non-mechanically informed woman) to have work done on my car. But these guys have been excellent!!! excellent!! my car has never run better! I have dealt with them for a couple years now, and it is usually just for an oil change and they don't find a "big expensive blah blah problem" my car just continues to run great!! This time I did arrive having had my check engine light come on a couple times over the last month or so. They gave me a very thorough explanation and no pressure suggestion about the fuel pump problem (and I know they were honest as I have a very mechanically inclined friend and he noticed my car not accelerating as it should and thought that may be the problem) So it is confirmed they are honest :) The work is always done quickly and their prices are very very reasonable :) I highly recommend A & P Specialties!! I even drive all the way in from Hood River, they are worth it!
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 05/01/2017

Thanks Paula for the review Paul and I hope you have  great summer, Thanks Alan.

KH
Kory H.
Vancouver, WA
Porsche Boxster
04/29/2017
Fast, Friendly and Great Work!
Started bringing my Boxster here last year and will never go anywhere else. The Staff is so friendly and very very good about explaining the problem and the fix. I highly recommend A and P
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 05/01/2017

Thanks Kory we really are thankful for the review and hope you have a great summer with your Porsche, Alan & Paul.

Ron G.
Fairview, OR
BMW 530i
04/29/2017 Category: Service
Ron said he is completely satisfied with the work this business has done for him.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 05/01/2017

Thanks Ron we are thankful for the review and hope you have a great summer with your BMW Alan & Paul.

BL
Brian L.
Volkswagen EuroVan
04/25/2017 Category: Service
Brian said this business did a really good job. They went above and beyond his expectations.
Alan B. from A And P Specialties responded on 04/28/2017

Thanks Brian Paul and I are thankful for your business and trust is us and please have a safe and fun summer. Alan & Paul.