Cassie M.
Indian Lake, NY
12/05/2018
Just want your money
Brought my car to be inspected. I have worked on my own vehicles for many years and do not expect to be played when I bring a vehicle for inspection. I was told that my BMW X3 failed for a bad inner tie rod. When I asked to see it on the lift, I was told that it was a kind of tricky to see because it’s inside the compartment....
I said I wanted to see it anyway and with hesitation, they put the car back on the lift. The “play” in the tie rod was non existent to the point where I actually took a video. They made it clear that they wanted the money to “repair”(over $500 with labor and an alignment) my tie rod assembly which did not need replacing. After pointing all of this out, they STILL charged me for a shotty job just trying to squeeze more money out of me. I will not be returning OR recommending Bourne’s to anyone in the future!
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 12/12/2018

Based on your impassioned reviews we have changed our policy on Vermont Vehicle Inspections. We will no longer charge for failed Inspections. We have never required that the work be performed by us, just that the repairs are done in a timely manner. (20 days). Best of luck!

Abigail S.
Colchester, VT
04/06/2017
Replaced Parts without Consent
I've been a customer for years, but when the owner is not in the shop, as was the case this time, the employees will try and scam you big time. Quentin couldn't explain why there were double charges on my bill, even though he entered the items himself, and Steve replaced 2 parts in my car without letting me know, without my consent. I was told after they were replaced.

Additional charges included $5 for a piece of tape, $10 for the use of shop tools, and $8.50 for handling hazardous materials. After being quoted $100 for a battery change, they charged $160 and refused to honor the initial quote. They tried charging me for a part they would need to order for a future date. If you tell them you want to get your car inspected, they will perform both a "Safety Inspection" and State Inspection, and charge for both.

I highly recommend either making sure you either work directly with the owner, Rene, or find yourself another shop.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 04/07/2017

Ms. S,
 I want to apoligize for your experience while I was away. I didn't get your message until after I returned. It appears to me the problem was a communication issue.  I called and left a message and would certainly like to talk to you at your convenience. My ad was not meant to deceive  and I certainly apologize again for the confusion.

I look forward to hearing from you!

NB
NANCY B.
09/29/2016
Highlander working great!
As usual, very happy with your service. :)

09/29/2016
Well organized, timely.
I have already recommended it to friends.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 10/07/2016

Thanks N!!
I appreciate the trust and response, sorry about the confusion with the Star Rating!!  :)

B H.
Montpelier, VT
05/06/2016
Disappointed ={
I have been to Bourne's Service Center a few times now. Every time has been a pleasant experience. The owner seems down to earth and honest. I feel like it is necessary that I write this review to explain what I have recently experienced. I took my car to Bourne's for an inspection on February 24th. The only complaint was that my air filter needed changed and my windshield wipers would need to be replaced soon. Everything else "passed" inspection. I then took my car back there to get a hitch installed the beginning of April. I also asked that they check my tires and alignment because after they had rotated them during the inspection my car was pulling to the left. They then told me my tires were terrible and that I may "hydroplane" on the highway. 2 weeks later I took my car for an oil change at Munro Muffler. He then made me aware that my left wheel bearing was a SAFETY issue and was about to fall off and I need to get it replaced asap. I then called Burlington Suzuki and they asked for my VIN. I was then informed that I missed the warranty date for my wheel bearing by a little over a month.

If I would have known when my inspection was completed by Bourne's that my wheel bearing was bad I wouldn't have had to spend $400 for it to be replaced.

On TOP of this... The dealership caught multiple other problems concerning my exhaust leaking into my car, my arms to my power steering needed replaced, my one set of brakes needed replaced and my driving belt needed replaced. This is a HUGE deal that Bourne's did not catch this. I am so thankful that someone who was simply changing my oil told me that my car was a safety issue. I commute 100 miles a day and am NOT trying to crash on the highway. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the knowledge at Bourne's. I get that they see many different cars on a daily basis, but something as serious as a wheel bearing and a leaking exhaust should be OBVIOUS. Also, Suzuki said my tires did not need replaced. Again - conflicting information considering Bourne's told me I would hydroplane while driving.

Therefore, I do NOT recommend Bourne's for inspection services. If it is a small job then I am sure you will be fine, but I am concerned with their ability to diagnose severe problems on simple cars.

I am just extremely, extremely disappointed. This cost us an egregious amount of money and we would've appreciated knowing about the wheel bearing in time to have saved us $400. I'm sorry if this review comes as a shock to the owner. You are very kind. All in all, I just wanted to make not only you aware of what happened to improve this, but your customers as well.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 05/12/2016

Wow, thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail!! I'm really sorry to learn of your troubles. When we checked your vehicle over for Vt Inspection Feb 17th your brakes were at 50-60% front and rear. Your steering and suspension were ok. There is no incentive for us to not find the work your vehicle needs, and I would never advocate creating problems to fix. Repairs are what we do and have done for 30+years. When your vehicle came in 8 weeks and 3448 miles later to have the hitch installed, you commented your vehicle had pulled since we rotated the tires. We recommended rotating them back or replacing them soon. We didn't say they wouldn't pass Inspection just that they were worn. I'd be curious to know what the tread depth on them is now. If the wheel bearing had been loose during inspection we would have noticed. When wheel bearings fail they are either loose and noisy or noisy. We obviously didn't pick it up noise on the test drive. If there had been play during your inspection it would have failed.

. The used trailer hitch you brought us to install took longer than expected. I apologize for that. Your car was given a quick suspension check and I'm sorry we didn't take the time to do the level of check over you deserved. I saw no mention of while the Monroe Muffler Brake people were checking the wheel bearings, whether they found any problems with your steering components, drive belt, exhaust leaking, or brakes either.

I can't thank you enough for your comments and feedback. I know it takes a lot for some people to complain and nothing will change unless the problem is talked about. It's brought us back down to earth and we're instituting changes in our inspection process to be more clear and detailed. Please don't hesitate to call me if you want to discuss this further

Sincerely,

Mr./Ms. D.
Charlotte, VT
Honda Fit
10/21/2015
mechanic could not diagnose my car
brought car in for electrical problem. Mechanic was clearly not confident in making a diagnosis. I left with a car that was not repaired and it broke down the next day.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 11/02/2015

Mr. D,
I was away when you came in for service and I apologize for taking so long to respond. It's my understanding the technician explained that your problem was with the instrument panel cluster and that it should go to the dealer for possible reprogramming. We didn't charge you anything to diag it and because it was work best done by the dealer. (Even if we replaced the cluster it would have to go to the dealer for programing) We didn't want to waste your time and money. I would like to know what the final diag of your problem was, and if this isn't your understanding of how things went. Or, if you'd like to talk to me about how it could have been handled better please call me at your convenience.

Thanks, Rene Bourne      802-658-6460

BW
Bill W.
06/12/2019
Not satisfied
My Outback was making noise in the front end which another shop was unable to diagnose. I chose Bourne's based on the good reviews hoping they would take the time to figure out what is wrong with the car. They did not. They did find malfunctioning brake calipers which they cleaned, but that did not address the noise issue. In addition they recommended two other unrelated services, brake system flush and fuel system cleaning. I declined those services because the car is running fine other than the front end noise. When I checked back to my invoice from the first shop, I realized that they had performed the brake system flush only two months prior to the service at Bourne's. I am frustrated that in my experience many car repair businesses do not want to take the time to figure out more challenging service issues, but would rather sell you "recommended" routine maintenance that may or may not be needed. I am a mechanically inclined person and I find it a little insulting that repair professionals assume the customer is just imagining things. I would happily pay a premium price to any mechanic who listens, asks questions and has the skill to diagnose and repair my car.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 06/13/2019

Mr. W,
Sorry to hear we didn't resolve your noise concern. Sounds like we need to go for a ride with you to get a better sense of what we're looking for. A written description is often a difficult way to identify a problem. If you're willing, We'd be happy to make another attempt at diag your noise at no charge. I have no doubt there's a real noise there.
Thanks for your response,

AC
Antonio C.
Hinesburg, VT
01/19/2018 Category: Service
Antonio said the overall experience was not good. The service took a long time to complete, and the estimate given was outrageously high.

GE
GORDON and CAR0L E.
Shelburne, VT
Volvo XC70
10/19/2016
Brake work
Shocked and disappointed.On Monday morning I was quoted $453.00 all in for brake work.The invoice at $632. Without seeking authorization is unacceptable.Can't afford Bournes any longer.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 11/08/2016

Mr. E,
I was aslo disappointed with the issue of your bill. I've always tried to make sure the customer is informed when any issues come up during the repair. Due to a billing mistake and poor communication while I was away we let you down. I'm glad Steve was able to correct things for you. If things are still not to your satisfaction please let me know.

Again My Apologies!!

ER
Elizabeth R.
Saab 9-5
12/23/2019
Weak...
I think it's really weak when the technician tells the customer that she needs to find the parts needed to repair the car! That Bourne does not have a supplier for their auto parts seems incredulous to me. Secondly, I booked the appointment on their online platform. When I brought the car in, I was told I shouldn't have used it as they don't look at it! Really????? What's the purpose of it, then. Needless to say, I am not impressed.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 12/24/2019

You're correct! I apoligize for how your visit went. We can do better and will. Somehow you're appointment slipped thru the cracks. We make several appointments daily with our system so we do check it often. Would like to know if it was thru the web site or some other system like Yelp.
Again, My Apologies!

Ashley M.
Vermont
Buick Century
10/28/2019 Category: Service
Ashley said every time she called and asked about what was wrong with her vehicle, she never got a clear answer.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 11/04/2019

Mrs. M,
I apologize for the poor communication, I know how important it is and will be discussing it with my crew!

JE
Jonathan E.
Honda Fit
08/16/2018 Category: Service
Jonathan said the service the staff provided was good. They got his vehicle done in a timely manner, and they loaned him a vehicle. The service cost more than he expected.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 08/27/2018

Thanks for your response Jonathan. Please call me if there's a problem about the bill, we try to give accurate estimates before we do the work. Also, did you leave a dog leash in the back of the car?

John T.
Burlington, VT
11/28/2017 Category: Service
John said he waited 12 to 13 days to get the vehicle worked on. The prices were pretty high. They wouldn't let him take his vehicle home as he owed $60.

Mariae S.
08/15/2017 Category: Service
Mariae said her vehicle was towed to this business and they told her she had a blown engine. They also told her mom it had blown rings and a blown gasket. However, her friend emptied out 3 quarts of oil and it still runs.

BR
Bill R.
08/10/2017 Category: Service
Bill said this business accidentally broke a spark plug but they fixed it. This delayed it a little bit but they did a good job.
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 08/15/2017

Hi B,
Sorry about the delay. Glad it was a minor issue.

Colin S.
07/04/2017
Scoring correction, went sideways somehow. definitely 5 out to 5!
Great service! Friendly and reliable.

07/04/2017
Get friendly service. Reliable and honest
Get friendly service. Reliable and honest
Rene B. from Bourne's Service Center responded on 07/05/2017

Hi C,
Thanks for the very nice review.
I noticed you  gave us 3 out of 5 stars. Just wondering if there's something we could have done differently to get more stars, or if you're a tough grader!!  :)