Overall Rating 4.4999975/5Overall Rating 4.4999975/5Overall Rating 4.4999975/5Overall Rating 4.4999975/5rating 4.4999975
Overall Rating 1.5/5rating 1.5rating 1.5rating 1.5rating 1.5

PH
Pamela H.
08/27/2019
Overpriced & deceptive
I had what I tght was a good trusting experience until I took my car to a friend who works on cars full time. Brentwood is overpriced but they also told me things to lend to paying more or that were deceptive. For example they told me it would cost $200 just to see if my timing belt needed to be replaced. It’s not that difficult to take off cover but the date of replacement was marked on outside of the cover. There were other things they did but too much for this comment. I was highly disappointed & upset that I even paid them money for work previously.

BARBARA M.
06/29/2019
Why was it MY fault?
I’m sad to say that I will be leaving Brentwood. I had a simple flat tire and needed your help. You really disappointed me. Angered me even. When I went to pick up my car, I saw instantly that the spare tire was still on the car. When I asked inside, I was told that I had not told you that I wanted the new tire put on the car. What? “It’s not on the order.” When I replied that yes, I had asked you to put the tire on, you actually went through the trash to find my overnight envelope in order to prove me wrong. Turns out I was not lying. My written instruction asked you to “install.” Why wasn’t that clear? Why didn’t you believe me? Why did it matter? Come to find out, you hadn’t even given me my new tire. It was still in your garage.
I believe you made a mistake. You forgot to put my new tire on. A simple mistake that is easy to make and easy to forgive. Instead of saying, sorry, we made a mistake or sorry, we didn’t get the chance to make your repair or sorry, we blew it...you chose to argue that the fault was mine because I never told you what I wanted.
By the way, in the history of “the wheel” as anyone EVER purchased a tire from you and NOT wanted it installed? Why was it my fault?
As I walked home I looked at the written receipt for the tire. I had been charged $28 for you to inspect and replace the tire. REPLACE. Why did you say that it wasn’t on the order? You had written it down and charged me for it.
Your saying “Sorry” afterwards and telling me you will replace the tire right away “free of charge” doesn’t cut it. “Free of charge?” You already charged me! Why didn’t you say sorry from the beginning and not tell me that it was my fault for not telling you I wanted the new tire installed?
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 07/01/2019

Barbara, I too was sad to find out that someone dropped the ball and didn't tell the Technician that your tire came in. Joe told me when you came to pick it up. I offered to put the tire on then, and was told that you would just bring it back tomorrow. I didn't hear the part where someone doubted that you requested the replacement. To be honest, I think that Joe (in the office) really didn't understand what was going on and obviously handled it wrong. He is still relatively new.  I want you to know, that that I value you as a customer and would like to make it up to you. It hurts me deeply when something like this happens to any customer, much less someone that has been coming here for a while like yourself.
I look forward to hearing from you.

KZ
KEVIN Z.
06/16/2019
Gold-plating
I was stunned to receive an estimate for every conceivable repair totaling $708 in parts and $1814, when all I asked you to do was to check out the Right CV boot which had been flagged on a prior visit (and to vacuum out some water I spilled in the back).
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 06/18/2019

Hi Kevin, sorry you were stunned by the cost of the repairs needed.

Checking out the right CV boot is not all that you ask for. You actually requested and paid for, a general check over of the vehicle. The items cited were the things that were found on the inspection. Without the inspection, you would have never know about the leaking steering rack that could be very dangerous.

As a goodwill gesture I would be willing to offer you a discount on any of the repairs needed.

Thanks, Ed

SN
Sophie N.
Scion tC
05/06/2019 Category: Service
Sophie said the estimate was never clear and she paid $70 more than she was verbally quoted. She mentioned that the invoice also did not clearly state what she paid for or what services were provided.

SA
Sophie A.
Philadelphia, PA
05/04/2019
Would not recommend
The quote was WAY overpriced and unclear.

MARGARET S.
03/16/2018
Not great
Scammed me for an improperly installed ball joint during MD state inspection. I had the option of spending another $80 somewhere else or spending an additional $120 at Brentwood to walk out with a passed inspection and able to go to the MVA that day. I drive a car that has only ever been factory serviced. I’ve never had a reason to improperly install the ball joint other than initial manufacturing. Will never take back to Brentwood. They were creepy.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 03/19/2018

Yes, an improperly installed ball joint does fail the Md. State Safety Inspection and rightfully so. If a balljoint ever failed at highway speeds, I can assure you, that it would be catastrophic.
No one wants to spend money that they don't expect, however, this is money well spent. I'm glad the technician was observant enough to pick up on it.
BTW, it was an additional $112. , not $120.
Ed

NM
Nani M.
Ford Econoline Wagon
03/15/2018 Category: Service
Nani said the communication with the business was vague around the issue. She said they diagnosed the check engine light with different codes and wanted to charge her a lot more than it was worth. She said she wanted more honesty with the business.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 03/16/2018

I remember this particular vehicle. It is a 16 year old ford Econoline custom conversion van. It came in for a check engine light, the customer paid $56. to scan for diagnostic codes. it had 3 different codes, which have to be diagnosed separately. In order to even see the engine on this vehicle you to remove all of the engine shrouding from inside of the vehicle, removing the customized shelving and such. It is very difficult to access anthing on this vehicle and is very time consuming. the customer thought the extra diagnostic time was too high. Unfortunately we have to charge for our time, like anyone else. This is just one on those vehicles that is going to cost more to service whereever you go.

PF
PETER F.
Mazda Protege5
07/17/2017
Long time customer
As always, would nt go anywhere else.

PF
PETER F.
05/29/2017
Neglected Specific Request
I brought my 2009 Toyota Corolla into your shop last week for a "travel check-up" because we're heading off today for Colorado. I asked specifically for the left rear brake light to be fixed, along with any other necessary items. The total cost came to $1,800. When I picked up the car, I came back into the office and asked specifically whether the left rear brake light was fixed. A young man with glasses said he had done the job himself. I didn't check myself. We were at the beach this weekend and a friend noticed that the left rear brake light was not working. Honestly, I couldn't believe it, but I came around to the back of the car and there it was. We leave today, Memorial Day, so we can't bring it in and we'll be gone two months. I call that truly sloppy service.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 05/30/2017

Peter, I looked into the matter of the replacement of your left  brake light bulb. After speaking to the technician who worked on the vehicle, he assured me that he replaced the bulb and it was working fine when it left here. Pehaps there is an intermittant problem with the circuit, or the new bulb is defective. Of course I would be happy to look at the vehicle ASAP to remedy the problem.
We try very hard to make sure our customers vehicles are safe, after spending the time and money to bring it in for service.

CN
CHAULA N.
Honda Accord
05/25/2017
I appreciate the follow up call
I appreciate the calls from Will and Ed to discuss my concerns with the repair. They did fix the car under the warranty - I drove it all Memorial Weekend and so far have not had any issues; I am concerned that the first alternator took several months to fail, so I will be watching it closely.

I prefer to support small/local businesses so I am willing to give Brentwood the benefit of the doubt. I did appreciate that Ed called me after the weekend to check in to make sure I wasn't having any problems with the car. I need to reserve whether I would recommend the place until I see how things work out.

05/25/2017
You still have my car
I have now brought my car to Brentwood 3 times. The first you replaced my alternator. A few months later I was having the same concern so I brought it again. I was told that it was the alternator again and that it must have been a bad part and you replaced it again. I picked up the car and drove less than 3 blocks and found it was having the same issue. So I turned around and brought it back again. You kept the car and said it needed further evauation. When I picked it up the third time I was told you found some corroded cables which were replaced. I now brought my car in to have an oil change and the AC looked at - replaced my AC parts and flushed my fluid lines, I came to pick up the car and drove less than 5 blocks when the battery light started flashing at me. I then had to turn right around and bring it back in again. When I received the call about why the battery light is flashing I was told it was the alternator again. They were aware it had already been replaced twice and the second time I had to return less than 10 minutes after picking up my car because the issue was not fixed. I have not received a call regarding the plan for repair yet but I expect it should be from Ed.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 05/26/2017

Chaula, Please accept my heart felt appologies. I hate it when one of our valued customers has to come back even a second time, much less a third time. I have to tell you that electrical problems can be tricky.  After the first alternator failed, we had to give the the company we got it from the opportunity to make it good. When it failed the sencond time, we immmediatly thought that something else could be causing the alternator not to work, like the corroded cabling that we found. As it turns out, the second alternator was the culprit. Strange coincidence that both were defective. That's why we went with a different brand.
I know it was a major inconvenience for you and if there is anything I can do to compensate you for your time, let me know.

Meghan G.
09/20/2016
Great Mechanic, Hampered by Front Office Staff
I took my car here for routine maintenance. When I called to schedule the appointment, I listed the maintenance items (tire inspection/rotation, filters, check/change the transmission fluid, check/change the engine coolant, and standard oil change) indicated on the car's dash. I dropped off the car for the appointment, the employee at the front asked what I was having done and again I listed the maintenance items. I was surprised when he presented me with an estimate for the oil change and tire rotation only. Upon inquiring as to why, he ensured me the other items would be checked. Long story short, at 415pm that day I get a call from a different employee - the oil change is complete, filters changed, and noting that my front tires were worn and should be replaced. I asked about the engine coolant and transmission fluid, they had not been checked because the service order did not indicate that was to be done. He did however promptly check the fluids and discovered the transmission fluid needed to be replaced. Given the time of day, additional work, and tire replacement my car would need to remain there an additional day.

These delays could have been avoided had the front desk listened when making my appointment and taking in the car. My experience with the front desk was less than stellar when I went to pick the car up, as the employee was once again uninterested in listening to and assisting me (picking up tags from the floor, no eye contact, brushed my comments, etc).

I sincerely doubt that I will be bringing my car back here.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 09/21/2016

Hi Megan, I am following up on your comlaint after speaking to the service advisor that handled your vehicle.
The first thing I should tell you is that our appointment scheduler in our software has a very small window for details, so things have to be abbreviated. We have a big sign hanging over the counter that states all phone quotes & instructions should be verified at time of write up. The only things that were on the input sheet that you signed, was an oil change, check for maintenance due and rotate the tires, if needed. The factory maintenance maintenance menu that we use does not call for a transmission change at your mileage interval. After you questioned it later, the technician checked it and recommended it. That did not hold the vehicle over another day, it was the tires that you agreed to do, that we had to order in for the following morning.
As far as the eye contact. I constantly tell the front office people to give customers their undivided attention. If that didn't happen  I am truely sorry. If there is anything I can do to make it up to you, please let me know.
Sincerely, Ed Nemphos (Owner)

REBECA B.
Parkton, MD
Volvo XC90
07/06/2016
Very Disappointed
After spending a LOT of money on repairs with Brentwood, I brought my car in for an oil change. Two days later, all of the oil had leaked out of my car leaving me a tremendous mess to clean up and in a dangerous situation. I put enough oil in to get the car back to Brentwood. They said they fixed it and reimbursed me for the 3 quarts of oil I bought, but one week later I was out of oil again with no signs of a leak so I don't think they ever added more oil back in once they fixed their initial repair. I feel totally ripped off and won't be back.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 07/07/2016

Hi Rebeca, again, my sincere appologies for the failure of the o-ring on the oil filler. We try to use only top quality parts, but unfortunately they too, fail in rare instances. I spoke to the Technician and he was deeply disturbed by what happend. Steven is a certified master Technician with at lest 30 years experience and I trust him implicitly. he said that when the car came back, That he replaced the o-ring and filled the engine with the proper amount of oil.
Since you traded the vehicle in, unfortunately it would be impossible to tell why the oil was low again.

EN
ED N.
05/07/2016
Rude customer service
If your interested in hearing about my service at Brentwood and the reason I would never recommend your shop to anyone, call me.

Ed Nueslein 443.604.3177

Mike was rude and dismissive, did not perform any work and charged me $52 dollars to release my car.

VA
Vimal A.
04/17/2016
Poor oil change on Apr 11
Ed/Will, rarely does one have to complain about an oil change, but my car has suddenly developed a horrendous oil leak after the oil change on Apr 11. Judging by the dipstick, and the oil returned to me (since I bring my own oil/filter), it was overfilled by about a 1 qt. I don't know if this does any damage to the engine. I have difficulty bringing it back since I work in Washington; but if it is necessary I'll do so. Looking ahead, please ask your techs to check the specs for the car (mine takes 4 qts.) before doing this to someone else.
Thx,
Vimal Atukorala
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 04/25/2016

Vimal, as I explained your primary oil leak was from a drain plug that would'nt tighten up. This problem was noted on your invoice.
Now that you have replaced the oil pan and fixed one other smaller leak. You should be good now.
Thanks for understanding the problem when explained and taking the necessary steps to fix it.
Please know that you are a longtime valuble customer and very much appreciated.
Ed

KH
KEN H.
Jeep Liberty
03/19/2016
Not so great
$157.00 just to run diagnostics? About $70. In parts and over $200. In labor? Crazy! Way over priced. Original quote was for $2200. for a list of stuff that my usual mechanic just told me was completely uneccessary! Rip off artists just tryin to get your money!

LG
LYNETTE G.
Buick LaCrosse
01/27/2016
L. Green
I'm always satisfied with the auto service I receive at Brentwood. That's why I keep coming back.

JOHN M.
Scion xA
12/06/2015
Not sure why i spent so much money on an serive and my entire engine goes on fire two days later!
Not quite sure what to say....I spent over $600:00 for service to my car. Two (2) days later smoke comes through the vents, brakes fail and my whole engine goes on fire. I am now without a car. It cannot be saved and thankfully nobody was hurt. Interesting!
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 12/07/2015

I was very disturbed to hear what happened to your vehicle John, we take great strides to ensure that our work keeps our customers vehicles safe and reliable.
After speaking with you about this incident, it appears that you will reserve judgement as to the cause, until the the Insurance company completes it's investigation.
John, please rest assured that if the fire was in any way caused by the work done by our shop, that I will take full responsibility.
Sincerely
Ed Nemphos, Owner

MIKE S.
11/02/2015
Tire repair
When I received a call from a guy by the name of Mike to tell me that my tire was plug by the company Brentwood that because their plug did not hold the tire was no good it ripped out so instead of telling me he could put a patch in there and repair it and hopefully it would work that I had to buy a tire a brand-new one For almost $300 when it ended up only costing me 47 to put the patch and it seems like to me his attitude was not very good he could approach this in a better manner and not make me as mad as I got personal service is the most important part of any business i've been A customer of theirs for a couple years now and everything was going well and tell this episode here hopefully I can make it right
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 11/03/2015

Hi Mike , I guess I should explain that plugging a tire is no Gaurantee that it will last for the life of the tire. The plug that we initially installed in your tire was done in July of 2014. This time we noticed that there were 2 plugs in the tire, somewhere in between the tire was plugged again by someone else. One of the plugs was leaking, we gave you the benifit of the doubt, but it would not exept another plug , the hole was too big, so Mike recommended replacing the tire. You became so upset by that Idea that Mike came to me and I suggested trying a patch plug from the inside, which I wouldn't normaly do when the tire was plugged twice. I'm sorry to say that this repair may not hold up for the long term either. If that's the case , it's time to buy a tire.
Unfortunately Mike, the Michelin tire that you have are expensive.

Josh F.
BMW 323Ci
03/02/2015 Category: Service
Josh said they put on the wrong tire and the battery was dead when he picked up his vehicle. He would not recommend them to others because of the reasons mentioned.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 03/06/2015

Josh, after investigating your complaint it was obvious that the service advisor misunderstood what position you wanted the new tire. I'm sorry that happened and I offer my sincere apology.
As far as the car having a dead battery when you picked the vehicle up. Nothing was reported to us about this. Remember we only did tire work on the vehicle and had nothing to do with the battery.Also there were several warning lights lit on the dash that you were informed of. Pehaps your vehicle needs a new battery.
I will be happy to test it for you at no cost to you.

Ed nemphos

A B.
04/19/2014
Not as good as expected
I paid 800 dollars for service. When it was done, the only thing I was sure about was one of the doors was broken worse than it had been. The car didn't work any better, and no proof was provided that work was even done, other than a cool story, and that the car had been moved to the other side of the lot.

The things I would expect from a good auto mechanic were not present. No word at all about breaking the door, or door issues until after I complained. Lights were left on which may have been the culprit in draining the battery dead.

No print out of suggested fix issues. No receipt that I can recall. Even an eyeball on safety is nice even if checks are not officially done, but that was not provided either.

In their defense, they seem like nice people, but nice people that want money for services correctly rendered, I can't say.

Alternative fixes were not suggested which even friends (read previous mechanics) pitched me. Those would have been nice as well.

Lastly, they claimed they changed the oil with synthetic. If this is true, they must have packed the engine full of dirt because the dipstick shows a very very dirty color. Dirtier than I have ever seen for synthetic oil in all my life changing oil.
Edward N., President from Brentwood Automotive responded on 05/06/2014

When reading this review, I intervened immediatly, as I would with any bad review. I spoke to the service writer and tech to hear their side of the story. it turns out that Mr. AB had recently purchased this vehicle with an oil light on and was told that the oil pan needed to be cleaned out. After we made sure that the vehicle had oil in it, the customer agreed to test the oil pressure. There was no oil pressure. We told him that something catastrophic happened to the engine, we priced another engine and he declined to do it. He ask if there were any alternatives, we said that there was a remote chance that something was clogging the oil sump screen as the seller suggested. We gave him an estimate for taking the oil pan off to investigate. We absolutely told him that this was a long shot and that there was no gaurantee, he decided to take that chance. That was not the problem, there was still no pressure.
I spoke to Mr. Ab, he admitted that his door handle was already broken before and did not have an explanation for why he thought that the oil was never changed. If we had the oil pan off we would have had to put new oil in it. No one here left his lights on. He towed the vehicle back home, it is possible that his tow truck driver left something on.
I understand why Mr. Ab is frustrated, but can't understand why anyone would purchase a car with the oil light on.
I guess someone had to bear the brunt of his bad decision, I'm just sorry it was us.
Ed Nemphos , Service Manager