Volkswagen Tiguan
06/12/2019
Repeat customer
I had to take my car back 4 times for an oil change, because it kept leaking oil in my garage.

BC
BRAD C.
Eastsound, WA
Volkswagen Passat
10/01/2017
Lost for words!
Cracked my oil pan these guys had it taken care of in two days! Leaving your shop to my house (9 miles) I realized My car was returned with clicking in my engine when I accelerated. My engine light flashing profusely, Wires are hanging from a plug going into my oil pan. AND the metal tube holding your oil stick (the one used for checking oil) has not been secured. RETURNED LOOSE AND IN WORSE CONDITION THAN IT WAS GIVEN IN. I have contacted my insurance company sense they recommended you. And this will get fixed! My car has not been fixed!
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 10/02/2017

The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 10/02/2017
  1. Two Days: It took two days because the car did not have an appointment. It is unfair to our other customers who had the forethought to make an appointment to put your car ahead of them.
  2. Clicking in the engine: Don't know what that is we did not inspect your car or your engine. Your car was brought to us by a third party ( a body shop) it was inspected by them and your insurance inspector not us. If your insurance company and or the body shop want us to look into your engine noise we will be glad to do so.
  3. Check engine light flashing: We did not test drive your car we were not hired to do so by the body shop or your insurance company. Your car arrived on a wrecker with a new oil pan on the seat and we were hired by the body shop to install it thats all. No inspection was asked for, no engine troubleshooting was asked for and no test drives were asked for or authorized.
  4. Oil dip stick tube bolts missing: On this engine the oil dip stick tube and the oil pan have nothing in common. The dip stick tube goes through the engine block into the oil pan it does not attach to the oil pan in any way. The bolt you are talking about bolts the tube to the block under the head way above the oil pan. The bolt you are talking about was broken off in the block and had been broken off in the block for a long time it was not caused by the accident and repair was not approved by your insurance company. We were only hired to replace the oil pan.
  5. WORSE CONDITION THAN IT WAS GIVEN IN: When the car was brought in it had a broken oil pan would not hold oil. We were hired by the body shop to install the oil pan. We did the oil pan is not leaking it will hold oil. We did what we were hired to do.
  6. Wires hanging down: Wires go to the bottom of the oil pan to the oil level sensor, these wires are protected by a wire loom and the plastic belly pan under the car. If you broke your oil pan in a wreck this belly pan must have been ruined and I hope the body shop and the insurance company installed a new one. If they did you would not be able to see the wiring looking under the car. If we missed a wire addle clamp designed to hold up the wiring bring it back in and we will install one.

DONNA M.
Chevrolet Cutaway
05/08/2017
Breakdown after first day on road!
My Roadtrek (Class B Motorhome) now sits at Kendall Chevrolet in Nampa, Idaho where it is undergoing diagnosis for failure to start on my second day of travel to Ohio. It had to be flatbedded from gas station to service center on Saturday. Immediate investigation showed a working fuel pump. I left the vehicle and took an airplane to Columbus, Ohio on Sunday. Today, Monday, I await word after further diagnosis. I expect an electrical issue which mechanic at Brown's did not pursue, perhaps, did not detect.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 05/09/2017

Donna, I am sorry to hear that you had car trouble with your 1997 Roadtrek RV on your trip. Your RV was starting and running fine when we had it in the shop before your trip, and I saw you driving it around town a couple times before you left so I am assuming that it was fine before you left or you would have brought it back in. You say that you suspect an electrical issue we did not pursue, but if the vehicle is working normal when we have it and is giving no indications of a pending failure, there is nothing to pursue. Again, I am sorry you had issues on the road, but no amount of preventative maintenance can prevent every breakdown, especially on a 20 year old vehicle. I hope that Kendall Chevrolet is able to get your vehicle back in good order quickly for you.

CZ
CAT Z.
Rainier, WA
04/12/2017
Waste of time and money
I took my 4runner and it was a waste of $431.76. They were no help. I got better help from the guys at AutoZone. I won't ever take another vehicle to Brown's.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 04/13/2017

Sorry you thought this was a waste of time and money, but why don't we try and tell the whole story. You brought in a 97 Toyota 4runner, V-6 with about 230k miles. It was brought in because it was running poor, and you had a list of things you had replaced trying to get it to run better. When we brought it in the shop it was hard to start and not firing at all on cylinders #3 and #6 were dead. You had recently replaced all 6 injectors and plugs, along with a list of other items. We found the new injector you installed on cylinder 6 was bad. You brought us all of your old injectors, we tested them for free and installed a working used injector. Fixed leaking #3 injector. Started the engine and it was hitting on all cylinders. After the test drive we could smell fuel so at no cost to you pulled the upper intake again repaired another injector you installed wrong that was leaking fuel. We also replaced the o-rings on injector 5 because it was leaking. After this it started easily and ran smooth in the shop and on our test drive. It was recommended that you replace the fuel filter since it had not been done and you had been having fuel system issues. You opted to replace it yourself. After picking the vehicle up, you called in and said it started running poor again, and said you would change the fuel filter, if it was still acting up you would bring it back in. When you brought it back in, the new fuel filter you installed was leaking fuel all over the ground, we fixed this problem you caused at no cost, got back into it and it was misfiring on cylinder 6, not completely dead like the first time it came in. We pulled the plug and it was fouled and gassing, could be a faulty plug, may have been damaged when it was installed or by the previous misfire. We installed a fresh plug and recommended replacing all 6 then retesting. You declined and said you would do it your self. We only charged for the intake gasket required to replace the injector, the initial diagnostics and the labor for replacing the bad injector. We did not charge you for the labor to do it three times to repair all the thing you did wrong as we should have. We can not warranty work you did or parts you replaced or provided. As it was we went out of our way to try and help, we charged you for less than half of the actual time we had into the vehicle fixing what you did wrong on the truck. No other shop would have been as accommodating as we were. Or charged as little as we did to repair what you did wrong on your truck.

GN
GORDON N.
Eatonville, WA
12/07/2016
Lost faith in the service.
I have two ford pickups a 1999 and a 2003. I had problems with them changing of fuel filters on both trucks, two on the 2003 and one on the 1999. I was told they were faulty filters on the 2003, but find that hard to believe, two filters one right after another. The one on the 1999 was installed improperly and leaked, even after I instructed them to make sure it was done properly, they still did it wrong. Then there was the installation of a front wheel bearing and breaks on the 2003, which is a 4 wheel drive. They put it together wrong so it would not go into 4 wheel drive. I got stuck and had to get towed out. Then I had to take it back into Brown's and leave it overnight too get fixed. Now I have a shimmy in the front-end that developed right after I got it back from them doing the wheel bearing and the front breaks. I know they are responsible for the shimmy but I am afraid of something else being wrong if I let them fix the shimmy. I gave them a lot of business, $15,000 to $20,000 over the past few years, but no more. I have owned both trucks since they were new and never had a fuel filter problem until they changed them. If they can't do a simple job as changing a fuel filter what else are they getting wrong.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 12/10/2016

Good morning Gordon I just read your review. Let me explain to you Parts usage in our business. As much as we would like to we don't make the parts the parts are made by all manufacturers either in China or Mexico. In particular with Ford diesel fuel filters the filters come as an assembly with cap included. Sometimes in the molding process of making these caps there's a flaw which allows a fuel filter to leak after about 2 or 3 hours of usage. They don't leak after install so we check in after we put them in they don't leak. But after the engine heats up and cools down a couple of Cycles for some reason the Caps start to leak and if this happens we replace the filters at no cost to the customer and then we file a defective part report with the manufacturer. The fact that you received 2 in a row suggest that the whole batch of filters is defective and we filed a defective part report against that batch of filters and change brands. Keep in mind that all Ford diesel fuel filters we use comes from Ford we don't use aftermarket fuel filters on Ford diesels because of this problem. We are now using aftermarket filters on Ford's until Ford Motor Company get their act together. As far as the shimmy in your front end after a brake job could mean you have a caliper hanging up and heating up one wheel causing a shimmy. So we need to get it in and get it looked at and see if you've got one wheel that needs to be repaired again we don't make the parts you could have a defective caliper on one wheel. We do search for the best parts for the best price for customers the problem is we don't make them and when they fail people get mad at us. This is why we pay for out of our pockets for everything we do to have a 18 month 18000 mile warranty for all parts we install. I can see your frustration I am sorry for it but know that we do all we can do to make sure we do good quality work with the parts supplied to us from everyone we shop for the best part we can install on your rig. The fact of the matter is we don't make the parts and we do get defective parts but we usually handle it as best as we can with no cost to the customer.

AD
AMY D.
Roy, WA
08/13/2016
Lost this customer!
I made an appointment for 9 am for an oil change and dropped my car off early. My brother came with me and asked if they could also fit him in for an oil change, and they agreed. They have a guarantee that a scheduled oil change will be done in 30 minutes or it's free. Neither of us received a phone call, and we returned to Brown's at 3:05 pm. My brother's car was done, and I was told mine was "still on the lift, just being finished." I wanted another 35 minutes for it to be completed after arriving. The employee didn't apologize to me, or offer to waive the cost until I asked. He appeared annoyed and replied "I guess it can be free." I asked why my brother's car was done before mine when I had an appointment, and why it took 6.5 hours. He answered that they must have pulled the cars in out of order and they were short on employees that day. My family has been in Yelm for 35 years, and I will never take my car there again.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 08/15/2016

I see Bob compensated you the 70 or so dollars for you oil change as an apology. We apologize for our lube tech mixing up the cars waiting that had appointments with the drop off oil changes. We always do the appointment oil changes first and as you have stated we did your brothers no appointment oil change first by mistake. I assume the other oil changes we did this year for you were OK. Because of this review our lube tech lost his job and we hired a new one, the service writer you talked to will never work the front counter again. We will be closing on Saturdays starting Sept 3rd because we can't man the shop with enough employees to please people on that day. We have removed the 30 min or its free from our board because people use it against us and don't follow the guidelines for it. Guide lines for a 30 min oil change were, you make an appointment, notify us when you come in you want the 30 min oil change. For a 30 min. oil change all we do is dump the old oil put on a new filter and fill it up again. That is all we have time to do. If people don't tell us they want that, we also for free check all the tires, check all the other fluids top off all those fluids, do a inspection sheet on the entire car and after all  that Monday through Friday we also wash and vacuum the car all for free. Which is impossible to do in 30 min. I also have lived in Yelm for a very long time we have been open 19 years this October we have serviced as of today 61,496 cars and trucks in that time we have received 8 bad reviews from real customers such as yourself we take them seriously as you can see.

JERRY S.
Rainier, WA
08/01/2016
Not Happy about return visits.
I was looking for a reputable shop to bring my vehicles to.
I brought my Honda Civic in for work. A few weeks later I had to return it for the same problem.
Then I brought my Ford F150 in as it was running rough. I paid $850 and was told that it was better. It was not, and I had to return it for more work. Another $350.
A few weeks ago I had my battery tested at Walmart and Browns. I was told that it was fine, but the Altternator had to be replaced. $400. Since that time (2 weeks) I have had to have my 2011 Honda jump started 5 times!!! I will be returning it again tonight for this problem... Again
My wife has strongly recommended that after this, I do not Ever bring our vehicles here again.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 08/06/2016

Jerry I am sorry your wife feels that way so let's explain it to her.
Feb 12 2016

You brought in your f150 check engine light on and running rough.
We found that the spark plugs were worn out and the #8 coil was full of water.
You Told us to replace the plugs but not the coil and we did. This is on your invoice 59030.
On the same invoice we replaced all the rear axle ubolts, engine drive belt and an air filter. Total 809.90 for all.  Not the 850 you claim to have paid just to fix the rough running issue.
6 months later you brought it in running rough.
July 25 16
We found two bad coils one of which we told you about on the previous invoice. Coils going bad on a f150 cab forward design 4.6 and 5.4 engines is a known problem from ford. It has  nothing to do with bad workmanship. You have 6 more old coils in your truck which will fail in the near future. Your truck has one coil per plug for a total of 8. Normally If the owner can afford it we recommend replacing all 8 when the first one goes bad to avoid multiple trips for rough running engine. Back in Feb. we couldn't sell you the one bad one so selling you 8 wasn't an option. In your review you insinuate like it was the next day when in fact it was 5 and a half months.
On the Honda
12/5/15
You hit a Raccoon knocked off the underbelly and we cleaned it up and replaced it.
06/15/16
You brought the Honda in you insinuated we did not install the underbelly properly and needed to redo it. We did at no cost even though it had nothing to do with us. It hat been 5,000 miles since we installed it, your car just had a fresh oil change according to the sticker on the window from Walmart.
Walmart would have had to remove the underbelly to do the oil change so in fact they did not install it properly after the oil change. Again nothing to do with us. We reinstalled it at no cost to you or Walmart.
07/07/16
You brought in your Honda wanted us to check your charging system focusing on the battery you had installed by Walmart.
Battery checked good at the time but the alternator was failing the load test. You did not want us to repair the Alternator at that time.
07/13/16
You brought your Honda in we refunded the check out fee from the 7th and installed a new Alternator.
08/02/16
You brought the Honda we at no charge checked it again found the battery from Walmart would not hold a charge. A bad battery will show good on a test if it is charged right before the test. Also a bad battery will take out an alternator because it is continually trying to charge it and burns itself out.
I know from our past interactions we are not going to be able to please you so you and your family can continue to call me names on the Internet it's OK most good people know that the Internet is a cowards soap box and the Marine Corps gave me a pretty thick skin.

MT
MARTHA T.
Roy, WA
Dodge Caravan
02/10/2016
Price jump
I asked them to check out my van and a price range he told about $77, then the price jumped to $220, and on top of that he told me that is I bring it back same day it would only be 30 mins then get told same day he can't fit me in after i already paid $46 for same day service. Will not being my van back ever
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 02/11/2016

Martha I don't think you understand what you were told. Our shop rate is 77.50hr if it takes us an hour to troubleshoot the problem then that is what we would have charged you. It only took 30 min. to find the problem ( a shorted blower motor) so we only charged you for the 1/2 we were on the car. 1/2 hr labor + state of Washington taxes = 46.oo. We do not charge for 1/2 hr troubleshooting if we do repairs on the car. We could not get the part (blower motor) untill the next day. If you leave the car for repairs we don't charge the check out fee. If you want to take the car and bring it back on a later date we charge the check out fee and refund it when you return for the repair. The repair was 219.35 parts, tax and labor if you would have returned for the repair you would have been charged 219.35 - 46 for a total of 173.35. Hope that this clears it up for you.

MICHAEL M.
Toyota Tundra
04/25/2015
they are incompetent I will never be back they said they could fix my truck then they told me they don't know how. they stole $93 from me
I told them exactly what was going on with my truck. they charged me $93 to do a diagnostic test. then they talked to my warranty people by warranty people told them that there was more parts that needed to be replaced but they didn't know what parts or how to fix it to make the warranty people happy. I will never be back it was a theft that took place.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 04/26/2015

Michael you brought in your truck for us to do a diagnostic to open up a claim with you warranty company.  We did so wrote up and estimate for repairs and submitted it to you warranty company for approval. Your warranty company got back to us and said that you had your truck into another shop prior to us and that that shop was already approved to do the same repair we submitted. They said they would not approve two shops to do the same repair, that you must bring it back to the first shop for repairs to be done. How would it be theft? You hired us to do a diagnostic on your truck and file a claim we did so, we did exactly what you hired us to do.  "WARRANTY COMPANY STATED THAT THERE IS ALREADY A CLAIM OPEN AND APPROVED AT THE SELLING DEALER AND CANNOT AUTHORIZE ANOTHER CLAIM FOR THE SAME REPAIR ." DIAG SHOWED CODES P1442 , SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SWITCHING VALVE NO.2  B1 STUCK  CLOSED .
P1445 ,SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM SWITCHING VALVE NO.2 B2 STUCK CLOSED .
P2441  SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM SWITCHING VALVE STUCK CLOSED B1 .

You were charged the minimum labor charge for computer diagnostics. I am assuming this charge is your dispute and you feel our Tech who we pay, who has a home and family, who we spend thousands in schooling and 10s of thousands of dollars in tools should look at and work on your car for free? If I am correct in my assumption I do not know how we can please you we and our men can't work for free

BRADY B.
Chevrolet Silverado
03/17/2015
Horrible service
I brought my truck in to get the coolant flushed, oil changed, and windshield replaced. I was told each vehicle is washed and vacuumed before being handed back to the customer. Well I show up to pick up my truck, which was already 45 minutes behind schedule, and it was neither washed or vacuumed. Also they put regular oil in it instead of synthetic which I requested and was told the price was $59.99. So they swapped the oil out and said they would vacuum it. I was informed they couldnt wash it because of the new windshield. Well why was I told it would be washed then?? Anyway I come back and he still only charged me for the regular oil change which was a sad attempt at saving face though it was appreciated. The kicker was the truck was still not vacuumed. Needless to say I will never be back to Brown's nor will I ever recommend it to anyone. In fact if someone ever talks about getting work done on a vehicle I will personally go out of my way to inform them to stay away from Brown's Car Care. Worst service I have ever had.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 03/20/2015

Wow all because we could not wash your truck because as I explained to you it will damage the new windshield seal. You can not wash it for 48 hrs. I told you to bring it back in two days and we would wash it then but you refused. As for vacuuming we did it twice once while you watched the dirt and debris in your floor would not come up because so muck sticky stuff spilled on the floor. It would have taken a pressure washer to clean your floor. Now the oil change as I explained to you I did not hear you say use syn. oil. As I told you I watched the customer cam listening to you telling me what you wanted and you never said use syn. oil. We did not charge you for a syn. oil change and we removed the regular oil and put in the syn. oil at no extra cost to you. What else can we do?! I can see there would be no pleasing you no matter what we did so it is best for you not to come back.

GJ
GUY J.
09/28/2014
SCREWED, couldn't give less then a 1 rating
Used them several times, and thought they were great. Until my last trip in, less then a hundred miles after they gave me an unneeded tune up, they found the problem, b ut then said a bunch of stuff that was ok one week ago was now not good, added more then a thousand dollars to my bill, spent almost 2500 dollars in two weeks for what should have been a 500 dollar repair, VERY DISAPPOINTED and will never use them again, and will tell as many people as I can what a shitty deal I got
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 09/30/2014

Guy when you brought your car in it was missing bad and had a hard time idling.  We ran a diagnostic and the list of codes was extensive,  we at that point pulled two spark plugs found them to be fouled and one bridged. During this we noticed the spark plug wires were swollen and rotten from the valve covers leaking oil on them for a long period of time. A car in need of a tune up as bad as yours did will set all kinds of codes and a tune up is where we needed to start. We called you and you approved the tune up with a valve cover gasket change and we did it. After the tune up we cleared the computer and ran the car none of the codes came back. You picked up the car and drove it away. A few days later you brought the car back in it was missing again we found that the foward oxygen sensors were slow to respond we called you gave you the estimate you approved it and we replaced the sensors.  After this repair we wanted to do a long test drive to make sure no other drivability issues were noted.  We made it about half a mile when the mechanic doing the test drive brought it back and said he did not feel safe driving the car because of front end noise.  We brought the car back in pulled the front wheels found you were metal to metal on the front brakes and both front drive axles were bad.  I called you told you about what we had found, gave you the estimate to repair the front end issues, you approved it and we did the repairs. I walked you through every step of every repair, you approved it all and you did not get anything your car did not drastically need.

SP
SHIELA P.
Ford Flex
03/27/2014
Didn't do the job as I had expected from them. When I went back to have it done correctly, I felt like they just wasted my time because very little was changed.
I wouldn't recommend them for the job I had done at. They were to detail my inside of car & it was very poorly done for the price I paid. They kept it all day & then was very disappointed. Took it back to be finished for what I had paid for & they kept it for a 2 hrs & I felt they did that just to waste my time because I saw about 15 min worth of time done on it. Will never go back or recommend them. Sad, cause I like to give to local business, but not there.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 04/11/2014

The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 04/11/2014

Shiela brought her in to have the inside of the car cleaned for a cat urine problem in the back seats and carpet. We worked on the car for a good 6hrs steam cleaing cat urine out of the car. We had it all day because after we steam clean we need time with heaters inside to dry the carpets. This was all explained to her when she dropped the car off. That night she picked the car up.  The next day she called in to tell us there was some dust in a cup holder and some other areas in the car. I told her to bring it back in and we would redo the interior for her. She said she saw 15 min worth of work I checked the shop cam and found that our detail guy was in the car for 2hrs and 26 min cleaning out the dust. I can print her a copy of the video from both days from our cameras if she would like to see it. The problem with this car was the amount of time aloted to us by the customer for the amount of cat urine to be cleaned. We concentrated on getting the urian spray and smell out and less on dust in cup holders in the time we had. She did not mention we washed and cleand the outside of the car also even thought she only paid for an interior detail. We were very hesitant to get in the detail business for this reason but our long time customers asked us to.

TW
TOM W.
11/14/2013
TERRIBLE
They told me my car was fine after diagnostic tests and inspection. Later that day I drove down towards Oregon and my oil pan completely exploded and a rod dropped before I made it there.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 11/16/2013

Your car came in for a battery going dead problem we checked your charging system found all of your electrical components were good. All we found wrong with your electrical system was battery cable issues which we repaired. We told you and wrote on your invoice that your oil pan was leaking oil you told us you did not want us to repair it. We also told you your check engine light was not working and you also did not want us to repair it. If we are not allowed to do the repairs we told you your car needed how can we be held acountable for the condition of your engine?

ED
ERIC D.
Chevrolet Lumina
08/29/2012
Care of my car
Always takes good care of my car as well as caring about us as customers. Always friendly and efficient
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 09/25/2012
Eric I think you forgot to mark the stars. But thats ok we still love you both here.

Cheryl H.
WA
Ford Expedition
07/03/2012 Category: Service
Cheryl said she brought her vehicle to the business to be detailed. They called and told her the work had been completed, but when she arrived the vehicle was not ready. The top was filthy and the interior had not been shampooed. She had to have the work performed a second time. She is not impressed with the business at all and will not recommend them due to this experience.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 09/25/2012
She is correct the truck was poorly done the wash person did miss the top. This is why we did it the 2nd time at no cost. As for the interior we shampooed the carpets twice the interior was in such bad shape. When this truck came in to our detail shop it had been open for only 3 weeks. I never thought a person could let their car or truck get that dirty inside. It was impossable to get a like new look inside this truck. Because of her truck we now ask owners what they hope to accomplish by the detail. As I have found out most want to pay for the least expensive detail but want the outcome of the most expensive detail. Because of this truck and our poll of other owners as of Oct 1 2012 we are closing the detail shop. It is bad for customer relations.