08/04/2019
disorganized experience
I dropped my car off in the morning with a list of things to check for (second opinion from Green Drop) and I asked the front desk person to call me when my vehicle was done and he said he would do it. Then, I called back in the afternoon because I had been waiting too long and the mechanic who answered said, "oh, I finished that car yesterday". I explained that that wasn't possible because I dropped it off in the morning and then he said it was done. When I came to pick up my car after the check-up, the same mechanic started showing me things on the wrong vehicle. He raised the vehicle up high and then said that Green Drop was totally wrong and started showing me why on the wrong car. I explained that this wasn't my car and he said, "oh, it's just one of those days." I didn't leave there having confidence that he had actually checked my car out for the things that I had asked him to look for. In general, it seemed like the shop was disorganized. I came once before a few years ago with another car and had a negative experience, but I figured I'd try again because the reviews are so good. But two "meh" experiences are not going to have me come back again. I did ultimately have him complete the breaks and battery servicing that he said needed to be done.

Simon C.
10/30/2018
subaru outback check-up and new battery
Good things: Good customer service - i asked for an appointment and you were responsive, even calling me back and getting me in on the same day. Also, did a thorough job checking out my car.

Bad: Man who quoted me did not quote me on the cost of labor, but only on the cost of materials, so I was under the impression that the cost given was the total cost, leading to the surprise of seeing an additional ~$250 of labor as well. Understandable, though you should be more clear in giving the total cost up front.

Also bad: several fixes, though as a result of all of the new changes there are several other things now broken. My dashboard used to show my MPH and some other pieces of information - this is no longer the case, it is just blank. Also, my driver side window control only works for some windows now. This was not broken before - perhaps battery hooked up incorrectly? Or something larger wrong? I would come back in to fix it but don't trust it.

MF
Mark F.
Toyota Van
10/24/2018
Marks 89 Toyota van
Here’s the deal,
I assumed from another mechanics opinion that I had a vacuum leak because the vehicle was having trouble excellerating off the line.
Of course my goal was to solve this issue and so I took it to Comfort. I get the van back from texting and the diagnosis is that there is no vacuum leak. Ok! Is that it?
The dude phoning me back mentioned this diagnosis and that was it. No other opinion of what might be wrong or maybe another avenue we might take.
All I get is that “hey, you need new brake drum in the rear”. Well, I knew that already.
Tell me something I don’t know buddy.
Waste of money this time.

08/10/2018
Overcharging
The quote was $375 for a $150-$200 job.

BP
Brad P.
Beaverton, OR
Kia Optima
04/05/2018
Okah I guess.
Somewhat okay, but staff acted entitled when explaining a few things to me an most of it sounded like a horrid array of excuses. I would first off start by saying when I came back my driver door no longer worked, and two. So sorry excuse for a lie was told to me when I was told they could not do testing on the aultornatir, but in retrospect they could have by attaching a diffrent battery an the peace needed for the plug only cost a few cents. I could go on, but I doubt I will ever come back to this place.

James R.
Honda Accord Wgn
03/23/2018
Estimate for repairs
I brought my car in Monday to take advantage of your 3995 service special and ended up just getting a filter in an oil change with nothing else included. I asked that your shop go through and give me a list of work that needed to be done on a priority basis and you're man in the shop said he would get on it that afternoon and have a typed estimate for me. I have yet to get that report and have decided not to wait any longer for you to follow up at your leisure. I did have good success when you made my initial repair to my car but have found the attitude to be somewhat impatient and off-putting on my subsequent visits.

James M.
Nissan Frontier 2WD
10/01/2017
Still owe me $139 for towing cost
I've had excellent experiences with Comfort so far, but I am still owed $139 for a towing charge that Comfort said they would cover after having installed a faulty distributor on my 2004 Nissan Frontier. To their credit, when I showed up with the receipt for said towing they immediately cut a check, but they made it payable to the towing company, which I stupidly did not notice until I got to my bank. I then went to the towing company to see if they could simply sign the check over to me. They could not, so I went back to Comfort and presented them with said check. The lady at the counter was mean about it, as if it was somehow MY problem, but one of the mechanics was there as well, saw the whole exchange, and to Comfort's credit, said that she was new and maybe didn't understand the situation. I was told that I would be contacted the next day, but this did not happen. As of right now, Comfort owes me $139 in towing costs. I am more than willing to assume that they are acting in good faith and that I will eventually be recompensed, but it is true that I am frustrated by their slowness in resolving the matter.

CD
Carole D.
Oregon
Volkswagen Jetta
05/26/2017 Category: Service
Carole said she brought her vehicle into this business on Monday and it turned out her thermostat needed to be changed. They never told her the hourly rate. The part only cost $24 but she had to pay a little over $300 for labor work. It was not clear, how much time they spent changing the thermostat nor was there any type of clarification on the hourly rate. When she received her invoice, there was no additional information provided. When she received her vehicle, another light came on for her air bag. It turned on out of nowhere and it was not doing that before she took her vehicle in. On her way to work, she made it 2 blocks before she heard 2 loud beeps and her thermostat light started blinking red. She had to drive back home to get her bike, which made her late to work and it was an important day. She normally has school after work so she had to leave work early to get her wife's vehicle. Her wife had to cancel her plans so she could take her vehicle. She then had to bring her vehicle back in the following day which was another big inconvenience and when she arrived there, there were no apologies. They were very dismissive about the issue. All they told her was that her thermostat fluids needed to be topped off and that they would do it for her. That same day, they gave her a quote for maintenance work, without telling her what was going on with her thermostat. They never fully fixed the issue, regarding her air bag light. They told her to take her vehicle to the dealership to handle that situation. However, she did deal with a couple of nice people, like the person working the front desk and Daniel. There was no responsibility taken with the person she spoke with when she dropped her vehicle back off. The situation could have been handled much better and responsibility should have been taken for the errors. She stated, since she had to bring her vehicle back in and it was such an inconvenience, she feels that at least she should receive partial money back. There also should be more clarification given to the

VW
Valerie W.
12/24/2016
Don't waste your time or your money
kay, so I'm going to write a long, detailed account of my interaction with Comfort Auto but the bottom line is: just don't take your car here. Choose another mechanic - there are loads of them in the Portland Metro area. Comfort Auto has despicable customer service and seriously questionable practices.

Here I go... we were heading off on a 3-month long road trip and took our Bronco to Comfort Auto for preventative maintenance (we'd taken our car there several times over the previous year). It had a slight rough idle but otherwise drove great. Comfort Auto had it for two days and when we picked it up and attempted to drive it home it couldn't get above 30 MPH on the freeway. We brought it back the next morning and sat and waited at a coffee shop nearby to hopefully get them working on it early (they are notoriously slooooow) and they had it done around noon.

So we started on our road trip and from the beginning there were numerous new problems... the Bronco was backfiring and didn't have any power under load (going uphill). Somehow we made it to Idaho and took it to a GREAT mechanic that had it done the same day. They told us that Comfort Auto had poked holes in the spark plug wire through their diagnostics and the timing was off by 14 degrees. So our "preventative maintenance" ended up costing us $500 for Comfort Auto to create issues and another $500 to fix them.

I sent numerous emails to Comfort Auto explaining our situation and requesting a refund. No response. So I started calling. When I finally reached Dan he played dumb about not getting my emails (later I found out he did read them and simply lied to me). His response was to say they didn't poke holes in the wires because "no respectable mechanic would do that" (Right. Which is why I will never give you my business again) and said that he would go to court before refunding my money. We spent probably 30 minutes on the phone with him yelling at me and interrupting me (I seriously have never had such a negative customer service interaction in my life). Then his dad got on the phone because Dan was "so upset". Dad (I forgot his name) talked to my husband and said he would call our Boise mechanic to talk to them directly and that he would call us back the next day. Surprise surprise we've never heard from them again.

The thing is, everyone makes mistakes and I get that. If they would've just been kind about it and listened and refunded at least a portion of my money I would've been happy. But they were rude and lied and ignored my calls and wouldn't refund a penny. So seriously Yelpers, don't waste your time or your money on Comfort Auto.

RO
Rudolph O.
Chevrolet Astro
03/05/2016 Category: Service
Rudolph said the business is fine, but they did not do what he asked them to do. He was not able to pass the DEQ and he is not satisfied with the service. He said they cannot do anything for him anymore, they charged him for no reason because he brought his vehicle in to be able to pass the DEQ and he was not able to pass as a result.

James P.
Acura 3.2TL
01/30/2016
Close to home
You tried to take me for a ride over charging for a battery

KO
Kristin O.
10/19/2015
Too busy for details
Had several oil changes there. The good - easy scheduling, done on time. The bad - they consistently fail to reset the maintenance mileage in the onboard reminder system, and have failed to respond to estimate requests in a timely manner.

NW
Nate W.
Buick Regal
09/22/2015
Will never go again
Kept my car all day twice and did nothing, sayinh they couldnt figure it out. Went to a different shop they fixed my problem in 2 hours. Will never go again.

SK
Shane K.
06/19/2015
Not happy
Made an appointment, which apparently counts for nothing. They didn't even work on my car the day it was scheduled. When I expressed my disappointment to the owner he became angry with me. Definitely would NOT recommend. Refused to work with me on price despite keeping my car an extra day and costing me several hundred dollars in,lost production.

HK
Hailey K.
12/30/2014
Lacking in knowledge and comunication
I went to Comfort Auto because it was close to my house and the yelp reviews were pretty good. The communication between the person who helped me at the counter, the one on the phone, and the person actually working on my car was terrible. My questions were answered in a round about way that made the mechanics seem like they were either avoiding answering or they had a lack of knowledge for the situation. I felt like they passed me around, took my money, and didn't actually do anything to my car. I will never go back to them again.

Michael S.
Scappoose, OR
08/07/2014
buff job rip off
Had the right side of the car repainted,nice paint/bad color match.new paint lighter than old.charged 200.00 to buff left side and made it worse with new chips in paint

VM
Virginia M.
Mercury Villager
06/22/2014
fast good service
super convenient to my house - very helpful

Brenda M.
06/10/2014
Service is outstanding
Your ability to diagnose my hybrid problems has been really helpful. It's like having a son who is a mechanic...NO Charge!!!

Amanda M.
Ford Festiva
05/09/2014 Category: Service
Amanda said she was happy with the service work. However, she was concerned when picking up her vehicle. They had left the passenger window rolled down and had the key under a receipt. She would not recommend for this reason.

BV
Brenda V.
Honda Accord
08/28/2013 Category: Service
Brenda said this business was great. They are really nice. They called her to let her know what was going on with her vehicle. They did not do any work on the vehicle. They looked at it to see what was wrong and fixed a hose. She does not recommend anyone until they do work for her.