Latest Review over 1 year ago

BRYCE/BECK S.
04/14/2015
I was charged 350 for a alternator when a parts place chareg 150!
I feel that they charge too much!
Sam G. from Dale's Auto Care responded on 04/22/2015

I am sorry we didn't explain our charges to you. Yes you can purchase an 150.00 alternator at some part stores. if you do your research they have an average of 2 to 3 star rating with 1 year warranty on the part only.  The one we installed in your vehicle can be purchase at a part store for 199.00. It has a average of 5 star rating and  that comes with a lifetime warranty on the part only and you have to install it yourself.  Your invoice included the following- labor to diagnose the problem, labor to install your alternator, top of the line parts with the best reputation and warranty,  A NATION WIDE PARTS AND LABOR LIFETIME WARRANTY, free roadside assistance for the next 12 months that includes break downs, lock outs, out of gas, jump starts, and towing up to 25 miles.
    Again I'm sorry we didn't explain that to you. I did call a couple of our local competitors and parts store to verify all of the prices. I challenge you to do the same, and you will find we were fair and less than our competitors.
    Thank You.
       Sam @ DALES AUTO CARE

AG
ANTHONY G.
11/26/2014
Got Burned
Have always considered Dale's honest and fair but got a bad taste recently when I was charged double the price for a starter motor. Why would I recommend them to my friends to be treated the same?
Sam G. from Dale's Auto Care responded on 12/08/2014

I am sorry Mr. Gadzekpo That felt you were charged "double the price".  I sold you a top quality starter with a parts and labor LIFETIME warranty, that is redeemable at any NAPA Auto Care Center in the United States.  I charged you 275.93 for the starter and 71.56 in labor to install it. I did not charge you for testing the starting and charging system, witch has a labor charge of 38.00. you asked for a brake inspection on your rear drum brake, that we did do and we cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes while we had the drums off. We removed the charges for the brake inspection of 45.00, because you said you could not afford it and did not realize there would be a charge for that labor.  The price we quoted you for the starter and labor before we did the work is what we charged you and is what you gave us the OK to do. If you felt that the price was too high, I would have been happy to explain to you our price and what you were getting. Just to double check your statement of "double the price" I called 3 other Auto Care Centers to get an estimate of what we did on your vehicle for comparison.  I found all 3 were just slightly higher than what we charged you.  I then checked the Internet for pricing on the starter, to find a wide range of starters pricing from the cheapest quality priced at 139.00 to the best quality at 297.00.  I would have been happy to explain to you that almost all starter brands have three levels of quality, and that we use the best quality. If that did not fit your budget, then I would have offered you the middle grade quality. that starter would have cost you 212.00 and the labor would have been the same, but the warranty would have been 2years or 24k miles. The cheapest starters I will not install due to the high failure rate.
   Mr Gadzekpo I apologize for not offering you the mid grade starter, but you have had 5 visits to our shop since 2010 and you have always agreed to the top quality parts. I did not expect that you would want the lesser quality. If it would make you feel that you have been treated fairly, I would be happy to install the mid grade starter and refund you the difference. The statement you made of "double the price" is unfair to us if you compare it with best quality and best warranty available.
    Pleas call me if I can futher assist you.
                       Sam Gray
                         Dales Auto Care

AC
Austin C.
Nampa, ID
10/10/2011 Category: Service
Austin said he had to overpay for the services performed on his vehicle. For this reason he would not recommend this business for service.

AJ
Allan J.
Ford Transit Connect
08/12/2016 Category: Service
Spoke with Tyson. He said the final price was not what he and the business had agreed upon from the beginning of his service.

Kurt B.
06/18/2016 Category: Service
Kurt said the business repaired his vehicle but it did not hold.
Sam G. from Dale's Auto Care responded on 06/21/2016

Hi Kurt. Give me a call and I will get your truck back in the shop A.S.A.P.  The condedser we installed has a lifetime warranty. If the part fails or if our workmanship failed you. I guarantee we will make it right. I apologize for any inconvenience.
              Sam. G.

Mark W.
Hyundai Accent
08/24/2013 Category: Service
Mark said the business charged him too much for a diagnosis.

MA
Megan A.
03/16/2019 Category: Service
Megan said the staff was unable to fix the sound her vehicle was making even after the brakes were replaced.

SA
Salman A.
10/06/2016 Category: Service
Salman said the business helped him well.

Tara S.
Nampa, ID
Saturn SL1
02/14/2015 Category: Service
Tara said they fixed her ignition sensor and then they found a radiator leak. Since she already paid $212 for the ignition sensor, she could not afford to repair the radiator leak and it took away from her overall experience.

BF
Brady F.
Mercury Mystique
07/17/2013 Category: Service
Brady said this business gets to the heart of the problem well, but it can take a while for them to get things done. The hours are inconvenient. He likes his discount.

Dave W.
Ford Econoline
04/22/2013 Category: Service
Dave said the business explained the process to him.

04/10/2013 Category: Service
Dave said the business fixed his vehicle, but they changed the oil without asking and charged him for it.
Sam G. from Dale's Auto Care responded on 04/18/2013
I talked to Dave after realizing we had a misunderstanding. Dave understands that we had to do an oil change in the process of a timing cover. Dave is now OK with the situation and would recommend us.

Blair S.
Saab 9-2X
03/09/2013 Category: Service
Blair said they were nice and it was a good repair. They were thorough, but they took off all the wheels. When the wheels were put back on, one of the wheels was loose. He tightened the wheel himself but he said he felt it was a serious mistake they did.

Rick C.
Ford Expedition
04/05/2019 Category: Service
Rick said he has been using this business for around 15 years, and they always provide good service at competitive prices.

TW
TERRY W.
Jeep Liberty
01/14/2019
Quality over quantity
I have taken my Jeeps to Dales for several years now in-spite of the fact that they are on the opposite side of town from where I live, which is only blocks from the Jeep dealership. The quality of work has always been high and I appreciate their ability and willingness to help me understand the problem as well as the solution. The discount for paying in cash is nice, too.

However, to be honest, and to explain why my normal 5-star rating for Dale's is only a 4-star for the purpose of this review ~
1. Never, ever, in all these years have I had the displeasure of reaching voice mail when calling Dale's. Now, that is not at all an unusual event when contacting the larger, impersonal, high-pressure repair shops, but Dales? No! No! Please, not my trustworthy Dales!
2. Never, ever, in all these years have I unexpectedly had to leave my vehicle at Dales for more than one day. Of course some tasks do require more than a single day. However, those times were always pre-arranged. This time I even took my vehicle in the day before the appointment and didn't find out until I called late afternoon the next day that it wouldn't be ready. That news required my to change other appointments that I had made and I was left with the choices of either pay for a ride to Dales to pick up my vehicle or walk. Fortunately it was good weather so my dog's and I made the two-hour walk. I was also a bit surprised Dales did not offer to assist with that.

In the end, I am still okay with Dales, but I do have the fear that they are getting a little too popular. I've seen it before. A good company gets better and better until they can no longer handle the business that they have earned and they then take on the attributes of the "big box" service shops, like the one in my own neighborhood. Hopefully that is not the case with Dales, but the symptoms of the disease are there.

JULIE S.
Garden City, ID
12/28/2018
Trustworthy and thorough
Sam takes time to explain information and give tips. He works hard to make it a good deal for the customers and is honest about warranties and stuff like that. They are thorough with the cars, but sometimes take a long time because of this and because they have so much good business!