Derek L.
Ellington, CT
Volkswagen CC
08/17/2020
Not a great experience
I was quoted two different times on two separate issues/parts. Both times the part listed on the invoice was more than triple the actual cost. Not a great experience, I knew something was up when the service writer told me at the first inspection that "they had no ballpark idea what an oxygen sensor costs off the top of her head." I get it you're a business but be reasonable.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 08/17/2020

We're sorry you still feel this way, we though we had addressed this in response to the e-mail you sent voicing your dissatisfaction. As a business we cannot sell parts for the price we buy them at, this is no secret in any business. Regarding your second concern, we had stated that we could not provide a ballpark quote for a repair on the Code that was stored as we did not yet know if the oxygen sensor was faulty, or if something else was acting up and causing the oxygen sensor to flag an abnormality. Lastly, we charged you half the cost of the diagnostic we had quoted when, during our process, we found evidence of the vehicle having bottomed out and stripped the wiring to the oxygen sensor causing an open circuit.

BD
BRIAN D.
07/14/2020
2014 Elantra
Very displeased with the labor charges. One hour to replace an air filter and another hour for the cabin air filter?
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 07/15/2020

We're sorry you feel that way, Brian. Looking at your invoice, the cabin filter was replaced with an A/C vent sanitation and Evap core cleaning; the air filter was replaced due to debris getting through and into your mass airflow sensor as detailed on your invoice. Most of the labor went into cleaning the airbox and sensor as well as the air tube leading to it. If you require a more thorough descrition of what was done, please feel free to give us a call so we can go over any further concerns in more detail.

TG
TIM G.
Volvo S60
01/04/2020
Would never recommend
Single worst experience with any mechanic shop in my 45 years. Was going here for a couple years and my advice: “Stay away from here.” Had car brought in for suspension problem and asked car be given a full inspection to determine if it was worth paying to fix. 1300$ later and less than 24 hours later the check engine light comes on....there is nothing about the explanation I was given makes me want to recommend this mechanic to someone. Bad way to do your repeat customers over. When I called I got a song and dance that it was on and they reset and they never diagnosed it and let me drive off with an unknown engine problem.I asked for an inspection and a check engine light was on. You didn’t get a code? Really? That’s what people do when they don’t care if your family is safe. What type of mechanic resets a check engine light without diagnosing it on an inspection? Let’s see what the CT DMV has to say about it. Might have tried to work it out with the owner who seems decent but instead got to have their front desk person staring me down like she wants to fight. Really? This place can’t be trusted to keep your family safe. That’s my opinion, take a car here you get what you get. I don’t mind paying for diagnostics, I do mind asking for a car to be looked over top to bottom and not having it done. Fun fact: I had dropped off a second car to them that was being looked over when this whole engine light happened.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 01/15/2020

We do feel it was very unfortunate that we were unable to help rectify this situation. After exhausting all efforts to find some kind of solution by the service writer and the owner it became obvious that you really didn't want to find solution to the misunderstanding and very clear you no longer wanted to do business with us. We truly wish you luck in your search for another repair facility.

Ford Expedition EL
11/03/2019
Disappointed.
Disappointed and frustrated with wasted time and money and not have my mechanical malfunction resolved satisfactorily.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 11/05/2019

We're sorry to hear that, Anonymous. Unfortunately with a vehicle with as many miles as yours has there can be more than one problem causing a symptom. The best we can do in these situations is follow the cause as we make the repairs. We do still have the level sensor at the shop if you would like to move forward with repairing your air ride (which is not a cheap system to repair), all you have to do is give us a call.

10/04/2019
Employees are all helpful and and attentive to customer's needs. Answer questions thoroughly and may add suggestions.
I am female and don't know a lot about car parts and care. So I depend on Don's Auto personnel to let me know what I
need done/repaired to make my vehicle safe. I feel this establishment treats me as a valued customer and is trust worthy.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 10/07/2019

Thank you, Anonymous! We're glad to tailor our service to meet your needs.

CV
Caroline V.
Waterbury, CT
Nissan Pathfinder
08/09/2019
Short waiting time and Excellent customer service
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 08/09/2019

Thank you, Caroline! Glad to be of service.

Shaik M.
Windsor Locks, CT
11/10/2018
No good
As you seen my vehicle time in was 11/9 2018 at 2:49:35 my time out was 11/9 2018 2:51:50 p.m. it took them 2 minutes to chang my oil that's mean they didnt they didn't drain the oil good.they said that the road test my car but look at the odometer in and out it didnt change .121504 so how did they do drive test? When I left my car was making a loud noise which I didnt have when I came in .they can't change Oil and inspect a car for 2 minutes. My clips was not broken before I came to your store .one the the technician told me that I have to buy a automatic car because of the noise they caused

Shaikmahmoud M.
Windsor Locks, CT
Nissan Sentra
11/09/2018
No good
No good . They broke my air filter clips and they want to charge my to fix it .they didnt inspect my car which is included for every oil change
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 11/10/2018

As we explained, we found the air clips were missing from your vehicle as a part of our inspection. That was the reason we noted it during the inspection you claim we didn't perform. We're sorry you feel the way you do.

LD
Laura D.
Windsor, CT
Suzuki Grand Vitara
06/15/2018 Category: Service
Spoke with David. He said his wife was given an estimate of $1700 to do a catalytic converter on her vehicle, and they went to another business and got an estimate of $900 for 2 parts, so he is not happy with this business.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/21/2018

We're sorry you feel that way.  Our estimates are based of factory converters as we find aftermarket catalytic converters tend to fail prematurely.  We try to provide our customers with the best options for their vehicles to avoid trouble in the future.  Going though your history we also see that we didn't charge you for looking at the vehicle.  If you have any concerns feel free to call us.

SA
Steven A.
Windsor, CT
Chevrolet S-10
01/29/2018 Category: Service
Steven said this business is way over priced.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 02/05/2018

We're sorry, Steven, but we're a bit puzzled by this.  We diagnosed your vehicle for a bad transmission; a repair like that is costly.  We didn't charge you for the diagnosis and gave you a quote for the repair which you opted not to move forward with. As far as we can tell you rated us only on our pricing and not what we did to accommodate you.

JERRY C.
Chevrolet Corvette
06/24/2017
1994 Corvette
The overheating issue remains. After spending over $2,000 , the #1 fan does not operate when the temp reaches the fan turn-on point while at idle or in stop & go traffic. The temp must reach the near danger point and the #2 will kick in and bring the temp gauge back to 185 degrees. So, the engine temp repeatedly goes back and forth from normal temp to extreme. This cannot be healthy for the engine.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/28/2017

Good morning, Jerry. I'm sorry your having a problem with one of the fans. At the time the vehicle was finished both fans were working. As always we are only trying to fix the problems we find at the time the vehicle is at the shop. But the fact remains you're still having a problem with the over heating. So please bring the vehicle back; you do have a warranty with any of the repairs we did & there will be no charge to diagnose the problem. If you do not give me a chance to make it right I cannot fix the problem.

Thomas B.
02/01/2017
Not knowing how to give an estimate
Very Very sorry I went to this place can't say the work is bad but the way they run you around is terrible.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 02/07/2017

We're sorry you feel this way, we were asked for an estimate on a vehicle we didn't see, upon starting the job, we ran into issues with the buildup of rust behind your backing plate and seized bolts on your 16 year old vehicle. There was an additonal 2.5 hours of time that we had into the job we didn't charge you for. We remained in touch with you every step of the way, letting you know where we were at with the issues we ran into, and saved you an additional $300 on your seized speeds sensor.  With so many variables an estimate is preceisely that.  An estimate.  Not a final price.

NR
Nathan R.
08/20/2016
Nice people, good work but pretty pricey
I've had my share of vehicles and been to a bunch of repair shops. My experience is usually the shop looking over the car, telling me what is wrong and providing estimates. Then I get the work done and pay them and all is well. My car had a minor issue that was quick to diagnose. It was external and took them about a minute once it was up on the lift. I needed a minor part ($10) and was charged $50 to have my car inspected. It took them about a week to get the part, and originally about 3-4 days to get me in initially to check out my car. It's tough having to wait that long! OK so I dropped my car off at around 8am and called them about 4pm asking if the car has been done. I honestly expected them to do my car much earlier due to how long I had already waited and since it was a simple job. Maybe that's why they put if off, I'm not sure. So that cost me $100 in labor. All in all I was out $160 and had to wait 9 days from when I originally called them. My roommate took her car to a different shop and they got her in that day and within a few hours had her back on the road. I know I had to wait for a part but it just seemed a little expensive for all of that. I've had other shops not charge for the initial inspection and I would have expected to pay $70-80 for a job like this. I just can't afford this place I guess.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 09/07/2016

We're very sorry you weren't happy with our prices.  Looking at your service history: we normally charge $95 for any inspection or diagnosis (we discounted it down to $50).  For the actual repair; due to the year of your vehicle the parts weren't readily available and had to be ordered: upon install, we had to drill out the broken bolt that had bent and twisted your rear sway bar: which did take some time to do.  Most shops would have replaced the sway bar for more time and more money for parts.  We also discounted the service 10% off parts and labor.  If you include the discounted inspection and percentage off we saved you $61.62, which would have brought your bill to over $200.  We do our best to look out for our customers' best interests and regret you weren't satisfied with our efforts.

VP
VICKIE P.
Springfield, MA
Chrysler Sebring
08/11/2016
caring!
obviously, unsatisfied customers do not return! My record shows I have been a customer for over 5 years. That speaks for itself.l have
recommended this business to friends every opportunity.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 08/11/2016

We enjoyed your visit, Vickie!  We hope you'll call on us the next time you need anything.

ROB G.
Infiniti G35
06/25/2016
Losing confidence
Been coming for a few years now. Thought it was a pretty honest place. Then they told me they were giving me a great deal on tires at $140 each...only to find I could've purchased them for $97 each at Walmart.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/27/2016

We're sorry you feel that way, but we can't sell you the tires for the same price we buy them at.  Places like Wal*Mart have great buying power that brings the cost of items like that down.  That being said; with the purchase of the tires through us you get the free Mount & Balance (approx. $50 value), free tire rotations ($25.50), Free Road Hazard (pro-rate warranty for the tire) and a whole sale alignment ($85 dollar value brought down to $60).  If you are not satisfied with this response please give us a call so we can discuss it further.