Overall Rating 4.32/5Overall Rating 4.32/5Overall Rating 4.32/5Overall Rating 4.32/5rating 4.32

10/11/2019
Doesn’t hear out his customers. Instead yells at top of his voice.
On May 24th, 2019, I took my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel truck with automatic transmission to J's General for a leak between the engine and the transmission. Josh, the owner, diagnosed a faulty rear main seal. I authorized the replacement of the rear main seal and a transmission service. The total came to $1,021.60.

On May 28th, 2019, I contacted J's General via text message about a rough idle.. Was told to bring it back in. There is still a leak from the same spot. Spoke directly with Josh about the vibration and how I researched the flex plate was installed improperly. He denied but said he would check.

On June 4th, 2019, I contacted J's General to find out the status of the work. I was told, "He just go it brought it in an racked it"

On June 6th, 2019, I was contacted via text message by J's General that the truck is good to go with no shakes and no leaks. Spoke with Josh the owner and he admitted that he did not have the flex plate centered correctly. He showed me on a spare flex plate he had laying around. He also said mine had differences from the one he showed me even tho from the same generation truck. So here he admits for the vibrations due to his improper re-installation of the flex plate. (Note - I spoke with Bobby's Transmission and they confirmed that the improper installation of the flex plate will cause the failure of the torque converter seal.) Josh claims the "input shaft seal" is leaking. And he placed a die in the engine oil to diagnose.

The engine oil die should have been used in the beginning to pinpoint the leak. Josh tried arguing that the fluid is transmission fluid but is dark and looks like oil because of the dirt on the outside of the transmission.

So, why charge a customer for the replacement of the rear main seal if you couldn't tell the difference of trans fluid or oil that you had to use a die to determine a conclusion?

Why not check all the other seals while the transmission was out so to not double charge a customer and have them pay again for the removal of a transmission a second time for seal that failed because of Josh (owner) improper re-install of the flex plate.

Does this sound like it will stand up in small claims court? I think so. Especially since I am a disabled veteran (josh knows - tried bargaining my dog training) and I am looking at a $1400 (Bobby's Transmission) repair bill for a torque converter seal and new torque converter on top of it all.

I just came in with a leak from between the engine and transmission.. I didn't expect it to still leak and have another large repair bill due to Josh (owner) poor service.

Please note: I have text message communication from Bobby (former service manager) stating that Josh will resolve the issue. Next message I get is that staffing has changed etc. Now I am being told by Autumn (new service manager) that Josh will not honor his work or Bobby's word because she isn't there anymore.

I have called multiple times and requested to talk to Josh.. Requested a call back with nothing. No return call and no messages.

So I am a disabled veteran and on a limited income (josh knows) and now because of J's General automotive, I have to pay another mechanic (Bobby's Transmission) to fix J's General automotive's mistake (improper re-install of flex plate).

Josh's non communication was the answer I needed... It's obvious he won't honor his work or even hear out his customers. I tried giving him the chance to make this right... I am curious what he will say in his reply...

We spoke on the voice. Play the recording Josh. You yelled lost of the time. Not much of what I said got across.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 10/20/2019

Due to a death in the family Josh (Operations Manager) is able to reply. On May 24th the customer above came in for a leak between the transmission and engine. It was determined at that time, the engine's rear oil seal was leaking due to the color, thickness of the oil. At that time customer was also advised that the transmission fluid was black and burnt to the smell. Common, due to lack of "maintenance". Customer requested rear oil seal to be replaced, two days after completion customer contacted use about a slight vibration only noticeable with the door open. As the door would slightly shake. Stating it didn't do this before. At first contact we were not sure what the issue was that was causing this issue, we requested the customer to allow us to go in to determine what the cause may be. When removal of the transmission at free of charge. We found the customers flex plate was not true, due to aftermarket replacement flex/starter plate. We found this to be "out of round" by .008 of an inch, a simple loosing of the bolts and re-torquing the plate fixed the issue. J's General corrected this slight vibration feel as fast as we could to get the customer back on the road. Customer was happy, Later contacted us there was a leak from the same area but not as bad as before. When customer came down, we inspected the area we found oil coming from that area, normal protocol is to use a radiant black light die to determine if the leak was coming from the seal replaced. We cleaned the area ran the vehicle, the leak was not apparent and ask the customer to drive the vehicle for a day or two then return to determine the leak. Customer returned, while using a black light no engine oil was present, the oil that was present was pink in color, due to the transmission fluid service he had us replace. At that time I instructed and educated the customer on he had two separate leaks at the time of repair, due to engine oil on diesel trucks is very black it was never apparent he had a second leak. Customer was quoted out for repair at an extreme discount of $82.50 to the normal charge of $120 flat hour on diesel trucks. Customer stated he didn't have the funds but asked if trade was an option. Trade was agreed for training of a dog. At which the technician would cover the costs of the repair. From June 6th to October 10th customer didn't make contact to do trade with Josh (operations manager). States he was in contact with Bobbie the service advisor. Bobbie which is no longer with the company. As well, had no authorization to give out "free repairs", never mentioned anything to Josh about anything stated above. On October 9th the customer called into shop and spoke with Autumn the new service writer, During this time Josh was away with a family emergency. When the customer would call he was extremely irate, unreasonable and would over talk the service advisor. Autumn, when she would state "I don't know what you're explaining to me" "I am new and don't have the authority to authorize free repairs". Customer was very unreasonable, yelling threats, stating I am a "disabled Veteran" I should get free work, ect. At which Autumn stated in many recorded phone calls from the customer, that the person who can help you, is unavailable at this moment I will have him call you as soon as he got in, when she was to offer a resolution to the customer, he would over talk, yelling at her to where she was not able to respond. The customer was contacted by Josh on October 10th at 2:35 p.m. when he was able to break away from his family emergency to make the call to the customer. During this call the customer stated he had already posted reviews, ect. Upon first contact the customer wouldn't stop over talking (yelling) when trying to explain the situation and a resolution prepared for this issue. Due to his consistent yelling, Josh finally said we do not wish to do business with you any longer. Josh had to over talk the customer to explain this and how a transmission input seal made of rubber, a lip seal that is designed for out of-of-round components, that was leaking was not the cause from a miss aligned flex plate. This is why all vehicles have harmonic balancers, so the customers can not feel the out-of-round parts and very apparent vibrations from the vehicle. The rear seal was completed and does not leak. Due to this customer's attitude, unwillingness, irate attitude and demanding "free repairs due to being a disabled veteran", or to properly communicate. We don't wish to have future communication or work from this particular customer.

10/10/2019
Disabled veteran ripped off by Josh and he fired Bobby S

Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 10/20/2019

Matt S.
10/03/2019 Category: Service
Matt said the staff did what he wanted, got him in right and told him what was wrong.

Ryan M.
Idaho
09/26/2019 Category: Service
Ryan said the business had friendly people there, they were up front about everything and they gave him the best information he could find about his vehicle.

LD
Layna D.
09/24/2019 Category: Service
Layna said that they are always helpful and quick. They have great customer service.

KR
Kevin R.
09/19/2019 Category: Service
Kevin said he always receives good service. They were not pushy.

Chase M.
09/10/2019 Category: Service
Chase said the business was really helpful and explained everything well. They took time to explain things instead of rushing through.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 09/12/2019

Thank you so much for the feedback. We have a goal to take the time with every customer to explain what is going on with their vehicle. We believe it is important to cover anything needed so you know what is going on and are part of the process.

Chandler B.
Garden City, ID
08/30/2019 Category: Service
Chandler said the service provided by this business was great.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 09/03/2019

Thank you so much for the feedback anytime we can help feel free to call or even text the shop

Jeff W.
Nampa, ID
08/27/2019 Category: Service
Jeff said the staff has always done right by him. He has used this facility for 13 years.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 08/28/2019

Thank you so much Jeff. We appreciate the feedback. Always a pleasure to take care of our customers

CP
Clayton P.
Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW
08/22/2019 Category: Service
Clayton said the staff have good communication and honesty
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 08/29/2019

Thank you so much for your feedback Clayton I thank you for taking the time to completed a response

PM
Paul M.
Caldwell, ID
Dodge Caliber
08/09/2019
Honest and Upfront
J has been working on my vehicles since before he opened the shop. Unfortunately, he's no longer close to me so for day to day maintenance work I'm unable to go to him. But, when I need to know the absolute no BS truth I make the extra effort to get the vehicle in question into his shop because I know he'll tell it to me straight. I have gotten to interact with his Front Desk Manager and she's awesome!!!
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 08/22/2019

Thank you so much Paul to you and your wife.
Our goal here is to always make sure to be straight forward with all of our customers and appreciate the feedback.

TL
Tom L.
07/31/2019
Honest, & Affordable
They are an honest and quality mechanic shop. I have used them on my vehicle, truck, and my 2 daughters vehicles. They have your best interest in mind and seek to explain any issues with your mechanical problems. I highly recommend them.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 08/01/2019

Thank you Tom.
It is always a pleasure to be able to help everyone and I attempt to make it my personal goal to let people know what is going on and why it is important. I am happy that we have been able to help

DK
David K.
07/17/2019 Category: Service
David said the employees had good personality's, expertise, advice, they really understand how to explain what's going on with the vehicle, why he needed to spend the money and what needed to get done.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 07/19/2019

Thank you for your feedback We strive to try and always make sure to explain an issue so you know exactly what is going on and why any repair is recommended.

EC
Eric C.
Garden City, ID
07/17/2019 Category: Service
Eric said that not only did the staff do the repair, they were very accommodating in getting the vehicle towed from where it broke down. It was a seamless no fuss experience all the way to completion and he appreciates their honesty and truthfulness.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 07/19/2019

Thank you so much for your response back, I am happy that we have continued to meet our expectations from service to repair.

07/17/2019 Category: Service
Jason said the service provided by this business was good and honest.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 07/19/2019

Thank you Jason We appriciate your time for addint in the feedback and always strive for excellent service.

AL
Abby L.
07/15/2019 Category: Service
Abby said that the place had awesome service. The employees were very thorough and helpful.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 07/19/2019

Thank you for taking time to add in feedback, We strive to make sure that anyone coming in knows what is going on with thier vehicle to show exactly why a repair is being made based on importance

Mark S.
06/30/2019
First Visit
Hi Bobbie, the reason for this rating is when I picked up the truck Friday night, after you performed the diagnostics inspection, I noticed the starter struggled to crank the engine. When I got home, I opened the hood and found the passenger side battery negative terminal was detached. The driver side battery terminals were all attached but the rubber boot was not properly placed back over the positive terminal. All of this is disconcerting when I'm getting ready to have your shop do major work on a motor that requires meticulous attention to detail in terms of cleanliness and assembly. I still plan to have the work done but need your assurances everything will done to the highest standards.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 07/02/2019

Good afternoon Mark, I just had this come through I have taken care of the training needed I have not previously had anything left not connected. I assure that the job will be done correctly. I can even have my guys add in photo's of before, during and after work. This way I will have it to be able to send as a file to you. I have taken steps of action with the technician to ensure this will not be an issue going forward. I aplogize this is something that was missed for a battery test as part of the inspection. Please feel free to call me I will be in the office until 6 today.

Chad M.
06/29/2019 Category: Service
Chad said the service he got was really good and everything was fixed. He said he thought there was a little bit of a communication problem at times but other than that he was really happy as he has always been.

Ron G.
Idaho
06/28/2019 Category: Service
Ron said that the staff explained things to him and that the service was good.
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 07/02/2019

Thank you Ron. I appriciate Feedback for every visit. Thank you so much for your time and coming to see us.

Emmett, ID
06/27/2019
Too expensive
I felt I was taken advantage of as a women ...
Josh F., Owner from J's General Auto Diesel Repair responded on 06/28/2019

Good morning Linda.
I hate to hear that anyone would feel they are being taken advantage of, please feel free to call if there are any questions I am here to help and want to make sure I address any questions or concerns.