Dan S.
Manistee, MI
01/17/2020 Category: Service
Dan said this place tried to charge him $600 to change his spark plugs. He said he changed them himself for only $35.
Mac M., Owner from Mac's Tire & Auto Repair responded on 01/21/2020

Dan,   First off lets talk about honesty.   Your review is not truthful by no means.   You brought your vehicle in for a running issue that you had no clue on what it was that was causing this.   We diagnoed your vehicles problem as needing a tune up.  We quoted you for Iridium Plugs, Ignition Coils, a diagnostic charge and labor, PLUS A 3 YEAR WARRANTY comes with this.   So when you go on a public forum I just wish people hiding behind their keyboard, would express the truth instead of half the story.   Anyone can go to the parts store and get the DO-IT-YOURSELF PRICE. You had all original ignition parts on your vehicle that had 114000 miles on it.   So to do the job the correct way, which this shop does, you went the most inexpensive way you could have gone, which is fine.   But please next time please speak the TRUTH.   Mac

Mac Mclaughlin
Owner
586-427-0111

BL
Bill L.
01/07/2017 Category: Service
Bill said the repairs were not done to his satisfaction. He said he had problems with his engine and it cost him $400 to diagnose but the business was not able to do the repairs.

AD
Amber D.
Michigan
Dodge Stratus
01/05/2017 Category: Service
Amber said they wanted to charge her $500 to fix a heating problem by taking her dashboard apart.. However, one of her friends was able to fix it under the hood in 5 minutes.

Angie M.
Volkswagen Passat
08/27/2016 Category: Service
Angie said she had to return so they could repair the work the business already did.

DT
Deramis T.
Buick Regal
07/20/2016 Category: Service
Deramis said the service provided by the business was horrible. He also stated that they charged him for looking at his vehicle. He was very unsatisfied.
Mac M., Owner from Mac's Tire & Auto Repair responded on 07/22/2016

This response has me absolutely stunned. Deramis came into Mac's Auto with a 1998 Buick Regal. He was leaking power steering fluid badly and the serpentine belt came off due to the fluid leak - The vehicle was inspected and lifted. I had a long conversation with Deramis to review his concerns and what we needed to do to fix the problem. A quote was recieved and given to the customer and he paid his checkout charge with no problems - He seemed to be quite happy with the experience except for the overall cost of the repair - due to what was needed there was no "quick fix" like the customer expected. It was verbally mentioned to the customer that he would be responsible for a check out charge if the repair was declined. We do our best to make sure each and every customer leaves our shop happy - Deramis was a first time customer and recieved extra attention, this is why we were puzzled to hear about his "poor experience."

AD
ARCHIE D.
Mercury Sable
07/10/2016
I like to support local businness which is why I chose Mac's. I am a Warren resident, but I have a couple of issues with the service provided.
I would suggest that you post your hourly labor rate in a place where customers can view it. I am not a mechanic, but I do have some knowledge and it seems that $497.00 is a bit much for this repair. R&R Upper Radiator Hose would seem to be related to install of Thermostat. Why another 1.80 additional hours labor? I was not offered old parts back which I believe is required. Last issue is shop has American Express logo on door, but does not accept card. You should probably remove decal until you actually accept the card. I realize that I could have declined to have the repairs made after your phone call, but I need this car for work on Monday which factored in my decision.
Mac M., Owner from Mac's Tire & Auto Repair responded on 07/11/2016

Thank you Archie for allowing us the opportunity to work on your vehicle. I'm sorry to hear that you did have a few concerns on the cost of your bill. I feel communication may have been the problem. Its is not a state requirement that a mechanic shop display their labor rate, however it is availible upon request. The two items that were installed were both part of your cooling system but were not part of the same repair. This is why the bill reflects two different charges for two different repairs. What you failed to mention in your complaint is that with your coolant leak your vehicle also ran rough and intermittantly shut off. We made two repairs to vacuum leaks that made the vehicle run better and this was all done at no charge to you - we try to go above and beyond for all of our customers. As for your old parts, you have the right to take your old parts but if you do not ask for them, we assume that you do not want them. Lastly, i agree that we should not have an American Express logo on the door if we do not accept American Express credit cards. We used to but no longer do and we may again in the near future so i removed the logo so this does not cause any future issues. Again Thank You for your buisness.

RD
Richard D.
Dodge Stratus
06/30/2016 Category: Service
Spoke with Shirley. She said the vehicle was towed there and she was satisfied but the estimate to repair it was too high so no work was done, and due to the estimate, she said she would not recommend this business to others.

Angela B.
Romulus, MI
05/26/2016
Tire patch
I'm not happy with them at all they charge me $30 to patch my tires and get up this morning and it's on a flat I have had my tires patch and I know they don't flat the very next day.

Ramone S.
Chevrolet Silverado
03/03/2016 Category: Service
Ramone said he had a bit of a bad experience due to the expense. He felt he was talked out of his money because this business did not clarify how much it would cost for an estimate until after it was completed. Still, he acknowledges it may have been his fault for not asking first.
Mac M., Owner from Mac's Tire & Auto Repair responded on 03/04/2016

Hello Ramone, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at Mac's Tire and Auto.   I remember the conversation you had with Andrew my Service Manager on your vehicle.   I have a board in the lobby that list pricing on service check out fees. Also, before any work is performed an estimate of charges is written up and the customer must sign the estimate form.   The listed charges were printed on the form and you had signed the form before any work was done on your vehicle.  You also stated that you had taken your vehicle to another shop, to check out the same problem, and that they had charged you a $20.00 fee.  My technician had spent 45 minutes, inspecting and pressure checking your coolant system, giving you a more accurate inspection of your vehicle. I believe that the time spent and the findings of the problems, warrant a service charge.  Now if you had the work done that we recommended then that check out fee would be waived.   Again if you have any further question for me don't hesitate to call and ask for me.  I would love to gain your confidence back and to take care of your automotive needs.   Mac- Owner

Rick S.
Hamtramck, MI
04/08/2015 Category: Service
Rick said he thought they could get to it in one day and it took two full days. Rick stated he thought the price was high and when he went to pick up the vehicle he had to wait to be noticed for 10 minutes. He said he would not recommend this business so far.

EW
Elizabeth W.
01/16/2020 Category: Service
Elizabeth said the business was very honest.

CAMILLE M.
01/15/2020
Great service and people.
Excellent work, very helpful in explaining any problems and how to solve them.

Ken S.
Pontiac Bonneville
01/03/2020 Category: Service
Ken said they always take good care of him. They always do the job right, the first time and you never need to take it back to be redone.

Louise M.
12/28/2019
Great as always
Great service, friendly staff. Only place I take my vehicle for service.

CHUCK B.
Pleasant Ridge, MI
12/26/2019
Customer service
I have brought multiple cars to Macs for all sorts of repairs. This visit was planned for a routine oil change. I asked them to check my brakes and rotors while it was there. They inspected them and did those additional repairs saving me a second appointment.