SANDLER B.
Middle River, MD
Acura RDX
06/16/2020
Follow-up on catalytic repair
I was told the oxygen sensor needed to be replaced and that the car’s vibration was due to a bad engine mount. I was also told that the Turbo wastegate actuator arm was the cause of an annoying metal buzz. I spoke with the shop’s partial owner and came to a relatively reasonable cost agreement for the additional repairs. The result I got is a mix bag. The oxygen sensor cleared the whistling at about 60MPH. The engine mount replacement did nothing. I was told additional mounts are in need of replacement. As for the metal buzz, I was told now that it’s the Turbo wastegate Itself that is bad. I initially believed what they told me but this metal buzz happens at idle and the P2263 code that I originally had cleared. There is no Turbo fault code and yet I still have a metal buzz when the turbo isn’t engaged. This doesn’t add up. From what I’ve seen so far, this shop’s troubleshooting skills does not address root cause. They will have you replacing anything they can apparently hang the problem on.

06/16/2020
Poor Service
I took my car to this shop after getting several email requests From Monument St. Auto Service believing that I would get quality service. From the moment they started working on my car there were problems. The first thing they did was damage my wheel lock key. And instead of taking responsibility Gary the shop began to play dumb and stated when I went to pick up my car that my wheel lock key was already damaged. The second issue was the removal of the front end catalytic converters. I called the shop a couple of days earlier and spoke to Gary about the check engine light and emissions inspection failure and their diagnosis a few months earlier that the front end catalytic converter needed replacement. I specifically asked if he needed me to come in for a diagnosis since he had already looked at it and that I had no new Codes. He said no and said he would order the part and let me know when to bring the car in. The appointment was for Friday 12, June. He called back and said that he ordered the part and that to bring the car in. I was at the shop at 9:30 in the morning . The appointment was for 10:00am. The mechanic took 7 hours to remove a bolt. Then they told me that there wasn’t enough room to remove the catalytic converter. The converter was free floating with the oxygen sensor and wires attached. They had cleared no room for the removal of the part. I ended leaving my car there overnight after I had told Gary that this was my only vehicle and that I could not drop it off prior to scheduled appointment. Anyway, on Monday no one called me to give me a status update. So around lunch time I called the shop and left a message for Gary to call me because I needed to know the status of my car. The technician said that Gary was at lunch and he’d call me when he got back. At 1:30PM Gary called for a split second and hung up. He left no voicemail. I immediately called back to know what was going on. He then told me that they put the catalytic converter in but the check engine light was still on because they got a new code for the oxygen sensor. He proceeded to say that he needed to charge me for the oxygen sensor. At that point my confidence level dropped. He refused to take responsibility for that. So I went to the shop to pick up my car. I told him that he hadn’t taken for anything. And before I could leave the parking lot heard a grinding sound that I had to go back into the shop. At that point there were to many incidents. So Gary took the car in and told me that the grind was from the car’s steering angle and corrected it. Embarrassed he wanted to replace the $30 wheel lock key but not the pricey oxygen sensor. But that’s not the end of the story. I checked the onboard computer and had five(5) new Codes that day. And, my no longer drives the way it normally does after leaving Monument St. Auto Service. I have a weird whistle above 60MPH from the engine bay. I called and told the shop about it all. I have to go back to this place that I have very little confidence in to have them just put my car back to where it was before they touched it.
George M. from Monument St Auto Center responded on 07/13/2020

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns. Our goal is to perform great service every time. We are sorry that we didn't meet your expectations this time around...but do hope that you would give us another try.

We Do it All From A to Z - Imports and Domestics - Since 2002
Call us for All your automotive needs 410-522-3737

JN
JULIE N.
11/19/2019
Disappointed and lack of throughness
I was highly disappointed with the service I received. I came in because the "low tire pressure" light was on and I suspected it was the rear drive-side tire. Rather than checking all tires or even checking the tire that I mentioned, the mechanic patched the rear passenger side tire and sent me on my way. The "low tire pressure" light is still on and now I have to go back to get the actual tire I wanted him to look at looked at. Usually, I'm very happy with my service at Monument St. Auto, but the lack of thoroughness at this visit was very disappointing.
George M. from Monument St Auto Center responded on 11/29/2019

Julie, we are sorry that we didn't meet your expectations this time. Our team usually is thorough. We hope you'll give us another try and base our service on how the second visit worked out.

We have the knowledge, tools, and experience to keep your vehicles in top notch condition. We Do it All From A to Z -  Service the way it's meant to be. Thanks again for recommending our Shop. Call us for All your automotive needs.

410-522-3737

KL
KRISTIN L.
12/20/2018
You just lost a customer for good
I used to come here all the time for the past 3-4 years. However, the last two times I was highly disappointed and I will not be returning.
My most recent visit I came in for an oil change and a new set of windshield wipers.
When I picked up my car the lady at the desk charged me for the most expensive pair of windshield wiper blades making my total $99. The gentleman at the desk did discount my job to $75 because I did not ask for the rainex brand blades, but then he lied and told me that even with the cheapest pair I would be paying close to that price, which is completely false. A basic pair is about $15-$20 at most and the fact that these people can think they can pull the wool over my eyes just to drum up a few more dollars is completely immoral.
The previous time I went they told me I had an oil leak and they would need me to come back so they could dye the oil and find the leak. Another load of BS, first of all you don’t have to dye oil to find a leak, and secondly if there was an oil leak I would see it on the ground under my car. To further debunk their claim I place a white poster board under my car to catch any signs of leaking and there were none.
All in all I am very dissatisfied that this company would try and take advantage of people especially at this time of year. I will never be back.

TR
Tawanda R.
Chrysler 200
11/15/2018 Category: Service
Tawanda said this business robbed her. She went there for an uber inspection. She found this facility on the uber list. She was quoted $50- $55 for the inspection. They called her back and said the charge will be $70 for the inspection and that her tire was messed up. The total they wanted was $185. She showed them that they were listed on the uber application for inspections. She would never recommend them , they are a big scam. The con artists raised the price, they are out right thieves and did not communicate with her. She did not even know how to get off the property with the tickets they provided. They were very unprofessional. The security guy came over to help her as he seen her standing there with the ticket. He told her they should have told her she was supposed to get the ticket stamped at another building.

June K.
06/01/2018 Category: Service
June said when she couldn't make it by 5 p.m to pick up her vehicle, the staff told her to pick it up at 7 a.m the next day. No one showed up until 8 a.m which was terrible for her. She was also concerned about the parking lot because there was a lot of confusion as to where to leave the vehicle without getting a ticket. A new employee had no keys to the place so he was waiting with her for another employee to show up and open. It was not a very professional business place. However the staff did take care of her vehicle very quickly.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 06/04/2018

Good Morning June,
  I am sorry that you are unhappy with your experience. unfortunatly on that morning, May 25. I personally had to call out at the last minute due to a family medical emergency. Another employee was contacted to open that morning, but due to the timing was unable to arrive until 7:30 am.
 I apoligize for the inconvience and assure you that this is not the norm for our business. I have been here for 15 years and normally arrive @ 6:45 am.
  In the event that you would be willing to give is another try, I am willing to offer you a complimentary car wash for for inconvience.
  We appreciate your business and thank you for your input. As always you can reach me at 410-522-3737 with any questions or concerns.

GH
Gerald H.
Saturn VUE
09/22/2017 Category: Service
Gerald said he was not happy with his overall experience because the business overcharged him for the timing belt. They charged him $1200 and other places charged $563 and $687. He will not recommend this business for service.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 09/25/2017

Good Morning Gerald,
  I am sorry that you are not satisfied with your experience at our shop. I believe there is a misunderstanding. first to set the record straight you did not have a timing belt done at our facility. Therefore you were not charged nor did you pay $1200.00 for a timing belt.
  The only service you had performed at our facility was a diagnosis for your engine misfiring & running rough for $89.95. after you had paid another shop to replace the ignition coils & spark plugs in your engine to supposedly to fix the same problem.
  We diagnosed your vehicle properly & provided you with an estimate for a Timing Belt Replacement along with the Timing Belt Component Kit, which consist of the 2 idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, bracket, & hydraulic tensioner and a water pump. Which anyone worth their salt in this field would strongly recommend for a 15 year old vehicle with over 163,000 miles on it.
 What you need to understand Gerald is that all of these components are driven by your timing belt. Therefore if one of these pulleys,waterpump or tensioner would fail, and given the age & milage on your vehicle is very possible if not probable, you would sustain Major Engine Damage that would total Thousands of Dollars to repair.
  Sure you can get just your timing belt replaced for about $550 to $600. And I will do that for you if that is the way you wish to repair your vehicle.
   You see Gerald the difference between Compentent, Reputable shops, that have the knowledge, experience & ability to not only diagnose your car properly, not just replace ignition coils & spark plugs because of misfire codes, but to repair it in the most effective manner with our customers future in mind. ie: lets just slap a timing belt on it to save a couple of hundred dollars now and roll the dice that we do not end up costing our customer $3000 to $4000 in the very near future.
  I am willing to offer you a 10% discount on the recommended repair to help ease some of your burden and make sure you vehicle is repaired properly with you best interest at heart.

TW
TONI W.
Buick Regal
09/06/2017
Friendly but expensive
The people were very accommodating in terms of service and paying for the parking ticket and such. However the estimate was very expensive, they quoted me 150 for a part that I was easily able to obtain for 60, and the Labor seemed a bit much for that particular procedure as well, since it would've only taken an hour, yet I was quoted over 300 dollars total. So I may go back for an oil change or something, but way too overpriced for repairs.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 09/07/2017

Good morning Toni,
  I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience at our facility yesterday, and I apologize for that.
  There seems to be some confusion about the pricing for the estimates you recieved. I am reviewing your quote and do not know which part you are referring to or which labor quote as neither labor quote was $300.00?
  To understand what you were quoted for your window was for a power window motor & regulator assembly for $276.80 installed. Yes you can probably find a window regulator only online for probably about $60.00. However when we prepare quotes we do not use cheap aftermarket parts as we stand behind all our repairs for an industry leading 24 months or 24,000 miles. Therfore want want to make sure your repair is high quality & if it does fail it is from a local supplier that we deal with on a regular basis so we can get it taken care of in a timely & hassle free manner. The list price for the window regulator only from general motors is $210.26 making the cost of $123.98 for the motor & regulator assembly a pretty good deal. provided you are not going to have a problem with the window motor anytime in the near future either.which would double the cost of repairing the same window. the labor time we quote is a published expected labor time in labor guide used industrywide.
  We do not claim to be the cheapest repair in the industry, but we are also not one of the most expensive either. We try to give our customers the highest quality for a reasonable cost so that we are both happy & can keep our door open & continue to provide friendly as well as quality service to our customers.
  If there is anything I can do to help you with your vehicles needs or to resolve your concerns please feel free to call me at 410-522-3737.
  As always we appreciate your feedback & will consider it our practices moving foreward

Deshawn P.
Chevrolet Silverado SS
07/25/2017 Category: Service
Deshawn said when he tried to leave this business' parking lot, he was not told he needed his receipt. He had a tire changed and now his vehicle is making a noise.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 07/27/2017

Good Morning Deshawn,
  I am sorry you are not completely satisfied with your experience. I would ask you to bring the truck by to check the noise you are hearing to determine the cause of the noise. As all the work we did was install a used tire that you supplied on a 15 year old vehicle.
  As we are on Johns Hopkins Property it is required by the parking facility that you have your invoice for free parking. I apologize if you were not informed of this procedure properly.
  As always, I am looking foreward to hearing from you to resolve any issues you may have with our service

KELLY S.
Mazda 3
02/18/2017
well....
Well, I've been going to Monument St. Auto Center for several years now and have been generally satisfied with the care I and my car receive. Unfortunately twice now when I've had my tires rotated my lug nuts were not properly tightened (not even finger tight) and I was dangerously close to losing a tire (having learned after the first time I have since checked my lugs before getting in the car). Due to the good service I've received in the past and the shear convenience of their location and decent prices, I've continued to use their services and recommended others to them. As this is the second time I've had this issue I'm afraid unfortunately that I can neither continue using their service nor recommend them.

SJ
Steven J.
Mercedes-Benz E500
10/20/2016 Category: Service
Steven said they cost too much and he did not have much work done. They are highly overpriced. A competing business offered the same service for a third of the price.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 10/24/2016

Good Afternoon Stephen,
  I am sorry you are not satisfied with our service. the pricing we gave you for your accident damage to the suspension of your Mercedes was using "NEW PARTS" directly from the Mercedes dealer as there are no aftermarket parts available for your vehicle. As you stated,you were having your vehicle repaired with "USED PARTS" there obviously would be no comparison in cost. It is not our normal practice to repair vehicles with used parts. We could have given you an estimate with used parts if you had expressed your desire to repair your vehicle in that manner. As always we strive to keep repair cost at a minimum and cultivate long term satisfied customers.

Jonathan T.
Honda Insight
09/10/2016 Category: Service
Jonathan said he did not like how they handled things. He stated they were not helpful and did not understand, nor feel any urgency to help him quickly. He was not pleased.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 09/14/2016

Hi Jonathan,
  Please contact me at 410-522-3737 to discuss your issues

AP
Aisha P.
Toyota Camry Solara
03/13/2016 Category: Service
Aisha said they did not clean the interior nor the exterior of the vehicle like they were supposed to. She thought it was horrible.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 03/15/2016

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your car wash service. As always if you are not completely satisfied, please call me at 410-522-3737 to schedule to have your vehicle rewashed to your satisfaction at no charge to you.

Jibin G.
Essex, MD
BMW 328i
10/13/2014 Category: Service
Jibin said he asked this business to clean the vehicle. When he got it back the exterior was still dirty and they forgot to leave the keys at the front desk, which resulted in him having to wait an hour to get it. On a prior visit this business left his headlight on while they were working on his vehicle. For these reasons he would not recommend them for service.
Garry C., MANAGER from Monument St Auto Center responded on 10/21/2014

Good Morning Jibin,
   I am sorry your experience with us was less than satisfactory. As always we appreciate your input & take customer satisfaction very seriously.
  We will be happy to reclean your vehicle for you at N/C since you were disatisfied. i apologize for the mistake with you having to wait for your key, that was entirely my fault. Feel free to contact me at 410-522-3737 if you would like to schedule your free car wash.

Robert R.
Potomac, MD
Honda Accord
07/01/2014 Category: Service
Robert said the repairs were fine and he was happy with the work performed on his vehicle. When he went to pick up his vehicle, after hours, he found food and wrappers in his vehicle. The key was also damaged and he had trouble starting his vehicle. He said he was not too happy about that. He would not recommend them to others for the reasons mentioned.

SD
Seth D.
Honda Accord
01/15/2014 Category: Service
Seth said he was charged $90 to check an engine code reading and later found out he could have done it himelf for $25. He was told it was sophisticated equipment and took sophisticated training. He learned it himself within one hour. He said he feels like he was misled. He would not recommend this business based on this experience.