Adrienne B.
Yonkers, NY
08/20/2020
Padded Bill
Had a starter issue while staying at Smugglers' Notch Resort, 4 miles away. Staff was very accommodating, yet not reliable! They began to work on my car before revealing their diagnosis or giving me a quote.
After I called them and received a quote, they padded the bill and added nearly $200.00 to the final bill bringing it up to $625.00. I was on the phone with owner, Dan, for about an hour, and finally got the bill down to $525.00- for a starter! He had threatened to put a lien on my car and not release it unless I paid this amount!
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 09/02/2020

I'm at odds with this review.... this whole thing started out with a 5:30am wake up call from this customers insurance company asking if I could tow this vehicle from smugglers notch resort at which they where staying at... customers vehicle would not start and was in a parking spot out of the way and was no urgency, the company said they would call me right back after approval but I never heard back from them, 8am it was towed in by another tow company and I took a look at it and yup it was the starter, called around to find a starter for a Cadillac CTS and only could get one from Boston.. two days out.. which the customer was informed and given an ESTIMATE. Part came in keep in mind entire exhaust had to come out and right side motor mount to even get to the starter. While going back together we had a bolt on the exhaust break...it happens and it out of our control!  keep in mind we had already received 3 calls from the owner asking when the car would be done. We drilled out the broken bolt and finished the repair. Called the owner to explain the bill and the extra time need to drill out this bolt and she totally went off on us, told us she wouldn't pay a dime and to put the old starter back in and would have it towed to another shop, I explained that was not possible cause it was all done and made absolutely no sense to do that. She says we never called her for approval(which we did) and that we padded the bill.... we didn't pad the bill we tried explaining it took longer then expected due to the broken bolt which happened right at the tail end of the repair... we did have to threaten to put a lien on this vehicle cause the customer said they would not pay any of the bill and would just come take there vehicles. After all said and done we ended up eating the time to repair the broken bolt and where $30 within our estimated price. But the customer was ecstatic and very great fun when they came and picked up there vehicle so they could drive home to NY. 👍🏻 But can get online and be a KEY BOARD WORRIER after the fact..

THOMAS S.
Underhill, VT
Toyota Tundra
06/26/2019
Diagnosis
The reason for the low rating is that I brought my truck to be fixed, not just diagnosed. I was told that my truck would be repaired. Instead, I received an estimate for the work and. $70 bill for diagnosis. Now, I have to bring my truck back tomorrow for the repairs. I am not happy.

Johnson, VT
Honda Civic Cpe
11/30/2018
3 hours to change snow tires
It took over 3 hours (when it was stated it would be 2 hours upon arrival), to change snow tires. Unreal. And the last time, there were fireworks being set off inside the car bays, then somehow, my rear window stops working when all that was being performed was an inspection. Poor professionalism- disappointed.

CK
CHRIS K.
Honda Civic Cpe
11/19/2018
Not happy, won't be back.
Feel like I was charged twice for the same thing. Nothing fixed for a $130. Bill was $150 knocked off a 1/4 hour to tell me the windshield wipers and heat work fine.

Toyota Prius c
11/16/2018
Snow tires
Not service oriented or helpful.

RE
RAY E.
10/05/2018
"Not Thorough"
Called and asked if we could remedy the situation and told that they would contact me when the owner returned.
That was at least two weeks ago.

10/05/2018
"Not Thorough"
Quote from the owner. "The guy who worked on your truck does not work here anymore"
I asked "Did you have a problem with him?"
He replied, "yes, he was not thorough"

First brought in vehicle just to have it checked out and when I purchased the tuck I was aware that it may need transmission.
Also was interested in inspection.
Quotes were given for transmission and finally told that ball joint needed for inspection.
Previous service log provided showed new ball joint 9/2017.
Ball joint installed. Invoice indicated "DOES NOT include alignment" ($313.49) Wife picked up vehicle. Steering was now out of whack. When I drove it I thought maybe it needs alignment.
Brought vehicle back in for alignment($92.85)
Steering still out of whack. Returned for check out.
Now told vehicle needs steering rack, struts and springs.... okay it has 165000 miles. Installed new steering rack, struts, springs. ($1147.23).
Picked up vehicle, drove and heard loud single prop airplane sound. I though, maybe the tires are just wearing were they had not before.
After the sound was consistent I brought vehicle back in.
This is the point at which the owner indicated "the service tech that worked on your vehicle does not work here anymore"
He assured me that he would personally check out the the sound.
he thought is was coming from the rear and I thought it was coming from the front.
Told that vehicle needed Wavy washer in rear which could only be obtained through Ford.
Okay... put in the wavy washer ($735.57).
When I picked up vehicle I was told by tech that "owner drove vehicle and rear noise is gone but there is still noise in front, likely needs wheel bearing"
When I drove I noted that it was the same sound I had originally heard after service for rack,struts.spring.
Returned to shop and asked if they would remedy by installing wheel bearing.
Owner on vactation all week but
They said yes. I would purchase bearing and they would install (no labor). Estimate $350
Purchased bearing at Napa ($175). Told by tech that I needed to purchase bearing through them.

Not a fireman or state police man or rescue team member or town official.
Likely, losing my business will not be an issue.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 10/11/2018

Ray, the truck you purchased from an auction had 165,000 miles on it, and was previously owned by a lumber company. It was clear it hadn't been maintained or serviced. We were very straight forward with you, when you came in for an inspection. We diagnosed the transmission noise you were hearing, and you DECLINED the repair. We replaced a ball joint on the right front lower, this did not include the alignment due to a ball joint being installed on the lower control arm is less likely to change any alignment adjustments. You came back with a steering concern and we found the electronic steering rack had an internal issue with one of the electric motors. We found one front coil spring broken at the very top which could have happened at anytime. Again YOU did not want to spend much money, so we found you a used electronic steering rack, and recommended both front struts and coil springs be replaced. We did the repairs and the truck was good to go, then u return with a humming noise that was never mentioned from the beginning. I personally checked out the noise, with my other empoyees and the wheel bearings were not loose but when we would drive the vehicle on the lift (we call it air driving) we could hear noises coming from every where. No loose wheel bearings, but possibly a left front wheel bearing making noise, but something from the rear end was making a terrible noise. Advised you that we would need to disassemble the rear end to see what’s going on, you agreed and we took it apart finding a wave plate washer for the side carrier bearings broken and floating around. The rear end housing, got you a price and did the repair. Now with my experience if I had ignored the noise in the rear end it would have cost you thousands of dollars when that rear end blew up due to the broken wave plate washer. This repair in its self was a priority, the wheel bearing yes I acknowledged the noise but prioritize the repairs needed. I think it is unfair for the review you have given us, I understand your frustration but you have to understand you bought a used truck from a auction with multiple problems and noises and high mileage, wanting to address every single noise is very hard to do and can be very expensive. My tech did call me about the wheel bearing and I agreed to install one at no charge , if you paid for the bearing, as far as you purchasing the bearing through us it for two reasons, one is quality of the product and two is the warranty of the part and the repair, yes anyone can walk into a parts store and purchase there own part, but I’ll have to tell you $175 for a wheel bearing is a low grade quality bearing with no warranty. If that’s the type of repair you want, that’s fine with me, but I’m all about quality of the parts and the warranty.

CL
Chris L.
08/23/2018 Category: Service
Chris said he was unhappy with the service and the speed in which it was done. While in service the employees broke something and it cost him more than he thought it would.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 10/10/2018

I will admit the repair did take longer than expected, but I will say we did not break something on your vehicle while performing the alignment the inner steering tie rod that had been adjusted once before by someone else had been bottomed out which cause the threads to become damage so we where unable to make the proper adjustment to finish the alignment. We called you and got approval to replace the inner and out steering tie rods so we could properly finish the job.

AH
Abigail H.
Fairfax, VT
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan
01/22/2018 Category: Service
Abigail said she had to pick her vehicle up from the business after 5:00 pm, so they left the keys in it for her. When she got to it, the battery was dead and the vehicle was dirty. Also, the steering wheel fluid was low, which it wasn't when she took it in.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 02/09/2018

Good Day Abigail, My apologizes on the vehicle battery being dead when you picked it up, I'm not sure why it was dead maybe a light got left on?? The vehicle did sit here for a month while we waited for you to make a decision to fix the vehicle after it was involved in a accident. As far as the vehicle being dirty and the power steering fluid being low, I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as the vehicle being dirty? this is Vermont and all vehicles are dirty right now with the winter months, the power steering we did not work on anything that pertained to the power steering fluid. I really would have appreciated a phone call with these concerns.

AP
Allie P.
Nissan Rogue
12/09/2017 Category: Service
Allie said this business does not call her when they are finished with the service most of the time. The front desk customer service lacks horribly. She has asked over the phone for them to check certain things but they were not checked . She would not recommend for reasons stated.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 01/05/2018

Allie,
As a customer who has only been to our shop Two Times, I apologize you feel your experience was poor. Your first visit was an Oil change, which was an hour as you were told when the vehicle was dropped off. As for your second visit, you were very clear that you wanted your Battery/Starter tested. Diagnostics are not free, nor at any auto repair shop you go to. When the vehicle was finished, you were contacted. When picking up the vehicle you felt it was unfair that you had to pay for the diagnostic. We were very thourough with all of you requests, and explaining the vehicle charges. The staff is very friendly, professional and thourough with all of our customers. Its unfortunate when cost is an issue, it turns to poor service and lack of customer service.

JAY M.
BMW 750xi
11/20/2017
Not so happy
When I initially brought my vehicle to notch road auto I was told by the staff that they could fix any car and that it didn't matter if it was a high end vehicle . At that time all I needed was an alignment and an oil change which they took care of . A few weeks later I scheduled a pcv valve replacement and after waiting for an hour the mechanic came out and told me that he ordered the wrong piece . When I tried to reschedule to get my vehicle fixed with the right piece I was given the run around for 2 weeks until finally I was told that that particular job would be too big for them to handle . I appreciated the honesty but they could've told me that initially. A few weeks later I went back to get a bulb replaced in my headlight and was met with reluctance . When I asked if it would be better if I had this done someplace else the gentleman at the desk replied , " yes . That job would be a pain in the ass " . Between my car and my wife's car I spent a good amount of money with notch road auto so I felt slighted to say the least .
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 11/27/2017

Jay, I apologize you feel dissapointed with your service and would like to clairify your request with the pcv valve. I personally was the gentleman at the desk, and mechanic you spoke to regarding the replacement.
You requested for me to order the pcv valvue, without allowing my shop to do a proper diagnostic on your vehicle, as i stated was necessary. You didnt want to pay for it and assured you knew exactly what it was from a forum you read. You strickly wanted the part ordered and to be replaced. We followed your request, being the customer.
When my mechanic went to replace the part, due to three different engine design varations for your BMW, 750 XI, the part was incorrect. At which point you were not charged any labor, we apologized, and made efforts to re-order, and re-schedule. After re-scheduling you missed two appointments (canceled same day), and one today 11/27/17 for a three hour appointment. (NO CALL).
As the owner, indeed some vehicle repairs are harder than others, but I am specialized in mechanics, properly educated, and honest with all my customers. I have never turned a customers job away, unless it is dealer specific. . As for the headlight, we do not carry HID bulbs, and stated we could order it for you.
I appreciate your business as a new customer since September, and hope this clarifys your review. We try to do our best, and give our customers 100% satisfaction.

Sara C.
07/11/2017 Category: Service
Sara said there was no communication and she was not given options as to where to park her vehicle. They charged $55 a day for storage and they were the only ones to charge for a storage fee. She will not be going back to them.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 07/24/2017

I'm not sure what the low score and comment is for, but we run a legitimate towing and recovery business. We were called by the Vermont State Police to remove a totaled vehicle from the roadway on a Saturday. Customers son was driving and the vehicle was removed from the road way and brought back to our impound yard where we get $55 a day for storage due to the fact the vehicle was not drivable and could not be moved. Customer owed for the initial towing charge of $125 and 4 days of storage $220, We use a standard rate of $55 a day for storage like everyone else, this is nothing new and is clearly posted at our facility. I would also like to note the vehicle was not picked up till the fifth day which we did not charge for.

Respectfully
Dan Wyckoff

DANIELLE D.
Subaru Impreza
04/12/2017
Towing
Prompt and professional. Wa waited 15 minutes for the truck. Took the car to the shop and repaired within two days. As soon as parts were in.

KW
Kevin W.
09/22/2015 Category: Service
Kevin said the business ordered a part that he had to wait a week and a half on to arrive. When it did arrive, they informed him they needed to order the same part again. They informed him he needed rear brakes too. He likes the owner and the staff, but he thinks they are lacking in business along with experience. He will not be returning to this business.

John H.
07/22/2015 Category: Service
John said he thinks this business is very pricey. That is why he would not recommend them to others,

PR
Pat R.
03/23/2015 Category: Service
Pat said this business did not do anything to resolve his initial dissatisfaction, and he still feels the same way about them. He said they contacted him on the telephone, but did not do anything meaningful.

03/23/2015 Category: Service
Pat said that he did not have a very good experience and so he would not recommend this business.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 04/01/2015

I was made aware this low score was made due to a failed Vermont state inspection. Vehicle came to our shop for a inspection and the customer was advised the left front wheel bearing was loose and the right front headlight was cracked, customer was given an estimate for these repairs because they do not pass Vermont state inspection. I contacted the customer after receiving this low score and was told they had taken it to the Toyota dealership and Toyota put an inspection sticker on it without repairing the wheel bearing or the headlight, customer stated the dealer has always been really strict on inspections and feels we where trying to rip him off with unnecessary repairs. I tried to explain what Toyota did was wrong and unprofessional and driving with a loose wheel bearing puts everyone on the road at risk! We are very strict on fallowing the Vermont state inspection rules and I will be filing a formal complaint with DMV!