EZ
Edward Z.
North Port, FL
11/09/2020
2009 BMW 550i engine to be replaced due to the misdiagnosis
BEWARE! This company has stellar reviews, but in my case it was incompetent and irresponsible act on their part. I used them for some other repairs on my 2009 BMW 550i with good results, except paying much more than I'd pay in shops of the same expertise due to their unjustified hourly rate of $140/hour. In my case their expertise resulted in scrapping and replacing the engine.
Here is my story.
My car had an issue with leaking coolant from the day I bought it in Mar 2019. It was a small leak causing maybe a cup of coolant to be added per couple of weeks. The low coolant icon always was coming up on a dashboard alerting me that the coolant level in an expansion tank was slightly dropping. At one time I let my friend to use this car for an extended period of time. She didn't catch those icons which normally stay on only for a several seconds resulting in engine overheating and expansion tank bursting up. The car was towed to my local mechanic who replaced that expansion tank and additionally replacing water pump and outlet pipe assembly. Repair cost ~$1400. After that repair I was still experiencing coolant leak at the same rate as before. The car was brought back to the shop and the entire system was checked under the pressure and has shown no leak. I decided to live with this leak for a while, since it wasn't a major inconvenience. But finally I wanted to fix this issue and came to Renn Haus as to "experts" of BMW an ultimate leaking machine. They told me that the water pump outlet pipe system (repaired a several months ago) needs to be replaced with the newer design, superior to the old one. The tag price $2500. I was surprised, but trusted their diagnosis and let it do. A day later they called to tell me more work needs to be done (like they shouldn't know this for the repair which is typical for this vehicle as they told me). $700 extra. After a couple of days they called me and said that during the after repair car test the expansion tank bursted on them, so I need to pay for the tank $100. Asking why it bursted they said, it happens(?). Recently replaced tank bursted w/out any specific reason?
There are only two case, which may cause it, either they didn't put enough coolant, if any or the coolant leaked out from the system during the test drive causing engine overheat and over pressure. Total cost of coolant leak repair was over $3,300. I took car back with broken wallet, but with hope of getting rid of the issue. After driving it for a few days I experienced an intermittent misfire on 4th cylinder. I haven't related it to the coolant repair thinking more like spark plug or ignition coil failure. I ordered set of spark plugs and coils and a few days later replaced them. It was late evening. Next day morning I wanted to check the car performance. Started the engine and waited shortly for my wife to join. Suddenly the car started to shake and within seconds I heard the terrible knocking sound in engine. I was so rapid that I couldn't turn the ignition off. Engine stalled. Something mechanically broke and I couldn't start the engine again. The low coolant icon appeared on dashboard. I opened the expansion tank - it was empty. Not a drop of coolant on the driveway, though. Interestingly there was no any warning of low coolant when I was starting the engine. I poured a gallon of coolant into the expansion tank and the sensor floater came up slightly. I was hoping that after there is some coolant in the system the car may start. But not. Then I checked the oil dipstick and it was covered with a white foam.

I called Renn Haus and they courteously towed my car to their place. Before the towing hooked up the car I looked into the expansion tank and it was empty again. The gallon of coolant disappeared. Where did it go and how? No coolant on the driveway.
Renn Haus diagnosed again a gave me a grave sentence for the engine. It's a scrap due to the engine head gasket blew up on 4th (or 8th depending on counting) cylinder allowing coolant to flow into the oil and consequently causing engine to get destroyed by the lack of lubrication and cooling.
This is something you don't want to hear from the BMW experts after making $3,300 unnecessary repair for the water pump pipe. That pipe system was fine being tested successfully before. The cause for a slight coolant leak was that gasket. Now the question of coolant sensor comes up as a major factor in this failure. The coolant sensor is a part of expansion tank replaced by Renn Haus. Why wasn't it warning about a low coolant? It was always before warning me about the lowering of coolant level. It was either wrongly reconnected after repair or faulty. Either way it's a fault of the repair, since the expansion tank with the sensor was a part of this repair. The next question regards the gallon of coolant I poured into the expansion tank after engine stalled. It couldn't flow from the expansion tank to the oil pan through the gap in the head gasket. The gasket is at higher elevation. It could only flow through the water pump pipe repaired in this case. It is lower than the expansion tank. It points that the repair done by Renn Haus was faulty and allowed the coolant system to empty out. Also the fact that it disappeared quickly points out to the reason not related to the head gasket which was sipping, not flowing.
So much for the Renn Haus expertise providing a wrong diagnosis, taking thousands of dollars for unnecessary repair and washing their hands of the responsibility for the expenses related to engine replacement. I am not their conscience, which if they have one it may make them feel like a crook, but it may be a case for the litigation. The cost of their mistakes is enormous.
I apologize for the long review. I think this case is worth to be heard.

John F.
09/13/2020
Mercedes - 25 years old!
Once again Renn Haus keeps my antique Mercedes on the move! The air C was almost gone and in minutes the shop restored it. No surprise. They have been taking care of my cars for several years.
J F

DA
Den A.
Osprey, FL
09/04/2019
Excellent Service!!
Renn Haus is excellent in all aspects. Professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and fair. I took my 2015 Porsche 911 to them for an intermittent problem that I couldn't replicate, and I have a third party extended warranty. While I thought they might find a reason to not deal with me, they said "that's what we do". Communication was fantastic, the worked with the warranty company directly, found the problem and fixed it! They are true craftsman, technicians who love cars, and business people wo are real and fair. Shaun, Kyle and Stephanie were all great to deal with, but I bet the same holds true for every employee there.

AG
Alfred G.
08/23/2019
Honesty, honesty, honesty!
As a previous satisfied customer of Renn Haus, I want to acknowledge their outstanding service. My engine warning light came on. They suggested that the cause might be that perhaps my gas cap was loose. After tightening the cap, the light did go off.

EM
Eddie M.
Venice, FL
05/07/2019
Customer service..
I brought my 2013 X5 BMW and I noticed a leak on my driveway pavers . I emailed them on a Sunday. On Monday I got an email from Sean asking me when do I want to bring it in . Made an appointment and found a few things with my car ,but never said that it need to be done know . Gave me prices and I decided to get everything done . I wasn’t pressured to do it like if I brought it to BMW . Would recommend them to any one .. Sean was amazing . thanks

Scott W.
05/03/2019
Mercedes gl 450 was a mess. They found all the issues and now works like new. They are very competent and thorough. Great communication and service.

Stefan M.
01/19/2019
Not happy
I made an agreement to to have an engine swapped which agreed price was 3000 dollars it end up being 4100 dollar and the car was misfiring when I asked them bout the misfire the said I bout a worn out engine so I paid the 4100 dollars took the car to another shop turns out wireing harness was not correct and rennhous mechanic stripped the threads for intake screws put lock tight on the stripped thread and left it and that caused a vacuum leak which was rennhous mistake I end up having to pay another 4k to detect their f- up would not recamend them to anybody

Bill M.
11/30/2018
Special service
I had a bit of an emergency with my 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman that I just purchased up North and shipped to Sarasota. It sat at my condo until I made it down after 2 months. I was only to be here for 6 days. To my disappointment, it wouldn’t run nor take a charge. Could the problem be just a dead battery or perhaps a malfunctioning alternator or faulty ground. With no tools or a way to diagnose the problem, I called Renn Haus to ask if they could diagnose the problem asap. They said they’d try their best. Tow truck dropped it off and 4 hours later they called with the good news that it was only the old battery quitting. I was back in business quickly. THANK YOU R-H

NF
Norm F.
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
09/28/2018
Again
Same thorough job with a smile

LC
Larry C.
Englewood, FL
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan
09/26/2018
Great Alternative to the Dealership
The staff was very knowledgeable and happy to help, taking a personal interest in my vehicle. They recommended necessary services without adding items to run up the bill. The service was performed quickly and properly, and the car was returned in great condition. Also, their web site makes it easy to do business with Renn Haus.

Porsche 911 Carrera
09/24/2018
Superior Performance
I continue to be very pleased with the quality of service provided. The performance of my 911 Porsche is always noticeably better after it yearly service.

LC
Lynn C.
Longboat Key, FL
Porsche Cayman
09/22/2018
Love Renn Haus!
Whatever work I have done, it always done to the highest standard, at the given price and within the time frame. I wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

GM
Gary M.
Punta Gorda, FL
Porsche 911
09/19/2018
Outstanding service
This shop provides excellent service at a reasonable price.

Michelle S.
Mercedes-Benz E350
09/17/2018
Excellent/professional
This was my first visit after poor treatment at the Mercedes dealer nearby
Renn Haus staff made me feel important and took care of my needs quickly , communicated well throughout and even washed the car - little things make such a difference to me!

TN
Tom N.
BMW 135i
09/15/2018
Honesty
Needed rear brakes for my bmw; told me my rotors were fine, most shops would of done them anyway, appreciate honesty