Newburyport, MA
Lexus RX
01/11/2019
Feedback
Really not happy - charged over 200 for interior clean only - already a new car - really just need rug cleaned. My girlfriend dropped car off and mentioned spilled soup which was already noted on my record. Salesperson said they could apply citrus deodorant without noting $99 charge. The car did not need it and now the car smells terrible- basically smells like cleaning in a cheap hotel.
Andrew d., LLC Manager from State Automotive Repair responded on 01/12/2019

We were not made aware of any issues at pick up, however, I have sent the customer a $50 partial refund by check on 01/12/19 and included a FREE 2 star "spiff" cleaning on this vehicle for a future visit.

I personally did not discuss the citrus enzyme treatment with the customer girlfriend but I would like to explain why it was suggested in the first place and why there is an additional charge.

The customer's girlfriend explained to the detailer, when he was dropping her back off at home, that the soup spill smells when it is hot. I had personally scheduled the original appointment and had been made aware of the soup concern.  However, I was under the wrong impression that the concern was for a staining issue and when I had inspected it with the customer I was not concerned with staining. In addition, it did not smell bad when I had examined the vehicle. Therefore, I was not concerned about explaining a smell treatment charge.

The idea of performing an enzyme treatment didn't materialize until the smell concern came up in conversation with the customer's girlfriend. The reason why the service was offered is because the soup spill was a broth based soup that had penetrated below the carpet surface and into the padding below. No amount of shampooing of carpeting has the potential to remove that kind of concern. In fact, sometimes, the carpet will require replacement, if the issue is service enough. In addition, mold can be a real concern and mold can become airborne.

The enzyme treatment is not just a scent spray that takes 5 minutes to apply. A high powered steam machine is used to pump the enzymes through the vehicles vents and throughout the vehicle (including over the carpets). The enzymes attack the mold and in turn the odor. The treatment used is a citrus scent, which is the most popular scent manufactured and distributed based on popularity. The scent is always strongest after application.

We had performed a 3 Star Detailing on this vehicle in the past (September, 2017). The services have expanded since that time and it takes longer to do. A 3 Star Detailing takes approximately 4 hours to perform and is not as simple as vacuuming and dusting. An example of just one thing that is done - the leather interior is treated with a pH balancer to hydrate the leather. This is then followed up with a leather sealant to help protect and preserve it. This of course takes time and materials to do.

I am sorry that the customer had a less than stellar visit. It is my hope that the partial refund and a FREE 2 Star Detailing in the future will convey to the customer are desire to make things right.

BA
Bob A.
Newburyport, MA
Volvo 850
07/24/2016
Great effort by the team and a good outcome - satisfied customer
This was a hard problem to diagnose and fix -- I now appreciate that even more than at the beginning. Electrical problems with older cars present special challenges. The State Automotive techs made systematic checks and eventually the problem was solved. Thanks for picking up the ball on the second try.

07/24/2016
Missed the ball on this one.
This electrical problem (fuse blowing) may not have been simple but the diagnosis on this one was just wrong. The conclusion that I had a bad radio or problem with the radio was not correct and just wasted my time and money.
Andrew d., LLC Manager from State Automotive Repair responded on 07/25/2016

Spoke with customer after reading review on 07/25/16 and apologized for any inconvenience. Customer will be returning later in the week for further diagnostic at our expense in order to address concern. It is our hope that we can resolve customer's concern at that time. Regardless, we will make every effort to do so. All of our work, including diagnsotic work, comes with a warranty.