Sun Automotive - Springfield

Latest Review about 1 month ago

JO
JD O.
04/27/2020
Paid $2,500 and ended up worse than before - Only able to sale as junk after paying bill
I don't think I ended up losing so much on this experience because Sun is bad or anything like that. I think I ended up losing so much because I drew a mechanic who did not know what he was doing. If you did any research on the internet on the 5.4 Ford engine you will find that they say they had a bad problem with phase adjusters, and describe the symptoms my truck had. My 2004 Ford F150 was missing, loosing power, backfiring, was told it was likely phase adjusters. After paying $2,500 to have it repaired, still had problems and they got worse until the truck quit running all together. Had it towed in and discovered that a bad phase adjuster had finally come apart and a piston hit the valves and destroyed the head. I was told that it would not be covered by their 3 year warranty because they had not replaced the phase adjusters. I thought that was what I paid the $2,500 for. At that point, the truck was not worth putting another $4,500 - $5,500 (estimate) into it so I sold it for $1,000 to try and at least recover some of the repair bill I had already paid. The truck only had 69,000 miles on it when I bought it and about 87,000 when I sold it as junk. $5,950 for the truck, $2,500 to have it not fixed. Total $8,450 to drive it about 18,000 miles. Not counting gas, that comes to about $.50 a mile not counting gas & oil.

Rik W.
01/23/2019
Bad company taking advantage of women
Charge 550$ to replace a 36$ part.
Ripping people off.

KC
Karen C.
06/07/2017
Revised review
My initial review was good but I wrote it right after leaving the shop for the first time. I have meant to submit this because my issue wasn't resolved in what I believe was the correct manner. I initially took my vehicle in to have the A.C. recharged because after approx 10minutes it would blow hot air. I was told I would have to pay for them to inspect it in case it was something other than a recharge that was needed. I paid for the service and the cost to recharge only to find the AC did the same thing next day when I drove it more than 10 minutes. I called and took it back, after this day in the shop they tell me it is a coil or something in the A.C. unit that needs fixed so I could do that for around $800 or replace the whole thing for $1000. I was glad they finally found the problem but in my opinion they should have found this issue during the initial inspection so I didn't have to pay to recharge a broken A.C. unit. I feel I am out that money due to the initial diagnosis being wrong. The people there were all very nice but I doubt I will go back. I work at a non profit and am on a budget so this unnecessary mechanic bill set me back.

SN
Stephen N.
12/20/2016
Over priced
They over price you and do things that are not needed. You can't get out the door with a minimum of a $1000

TC
Trish C.
Hyundai Santa Fe
10/08/2014 Category: Service
Trish said this business would not fix the vehicle the way she wanted it and then told the car lot about the vehicle, which they had no right to do. She feels he should not have talked about it to anyone but her. She would not recommend them to others for the reasons mentioned.
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 10/14/2014

Trish had the vehicle towed in to Sun Automotive for diagnosis on the Hyundai Santa Fe. It was verified that the engine needed to be replaced due to internal damage.  Trish elected to trade the vehicle in to a local dealer and the Dealer paid for the diagnostic charges as part of a trade in. At that point, they owned the vehicle it what was  asked of us to explain the failure and repair needs. Because the dealership paid for the repairs and took ownership, we felt that honest disclosure was needed so that all party's were aware of the vehicles condition moving forward. We would hate to see a vehicle be sold to a customer without there knowledge of its condition.

Curtis B.
05/22/2014 Category: Service
Spoke with Kelly. She said she had the vehicle put on the machine, which said it was a hose under the engine area that would be a $800 repair. It ended up being a hose that was on top of the vehicle that was a $23 fix. Everyone was very nice, but integrity wise, she and Curtis were let down.

RT
Rainbow T.
Kia Sedona
04/05/2014
Not Good
Here is a copy of an email that was sent to us from Sun Automotive regarding my wife's appointment for Friday, April 4th, 2014: Dear Rainbow Tornell:

Our records indicate that you are scheduled for service on Friday 4/4/2014 at 9:00 AM. If you are unable to make your scheduled appointment, please reply to this email or call (541) 746-6430 to reschedule.

This appointment is for the following location: Sun Automotive 255 S A St; Springfield, OR 97477

When my wife got there, they told her that she was not in their system for that day. She had to pick up the kids from school early that day, so there was a problem getting the car done in time. It ended up getting done in time, but only after many calls from her to the office. She was there at 10 minutes before 9:00 and finally picked up the car at noon! For an oil change. A little long I think. Hopefully there is not a problem like this again because we would like to keep using you.
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 05/13/2014

Sun Automotive would like to take the oppertunity and appologize for the clear inconvienience that was felt on the part of our Springfield customer. During that time frame it was discovered a concern with the software that supported the schedule within our management system. We have corrected the issue and hope that in the future both the schedule and the service will return to our high standards. Thank you again and  sorry for the inconvenience from the Springfield Team at Sun Automotive.

General Manager

CP
Cody P.
Dodge Charger
03/03/2014
They never got to my car even after an appointment and also unhappy with Alignment done as well.
I'm not happy with this place. I had made an appointment the week before to get my car looked at. I had dropped my car off like I had mentioned at 11AM. They had my car all day never got to.. It's like why did I even bother making an appointment if they couldn't get to my car.. Not to mention after I had my car in for an alignment I was still getting bad front end viberation at around 60.. and they wanted to charge me another $80.. So... would I take my car back to sun... nope... not at all..
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 03/04/2014

Sun Automotive was not able to align Cody's Charger that day as there were concerns with the "used" front tires he had purchased.  Cody arrived early at 3:30pm that afternoon to pick up his vehicle. We offered to perform the alignment at No Charge the following day. Cody stated that he would return and we arranged to stop production to perform the alignment for him.  Cody never arrived the following day. Sun Automotive will allways honor the alignment at No Charge for Cody and appologizes for the inconvenience that was felt on Cody's part.

BC
Brad C.
02/28/2013 Category: Service
Brad said they took all day for a simple project, which was finding the coolant leak on his vehicle and they are way over priced. He would not recommend this business for the reasons mentioned.

CP
Caitlin P.
10/30/2016
Mediocre customer service.
I had my car in for a new battery and a diagnostic test. I had also asked to have an oil change done. The oil change was not done, but the diagnostic showed that a new battery was needed, and a new battery was then provided. It was also noted that the oil level in my engine was low, but no oil was added to rectify the issue. Overall I am unhappy with the services rendered on 10/27
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 10/31/2016

The missed request for the Oil Change was completely our responsibility and i personally would like to apologize for the oversight. This should have not happened and certainly does not meet our own expectations for our customer. Sun Automotive would like to comp the next Oil Change and will offer to pick up and drop off the vehicle. We have sent the appropriate coupon for the to take place and want to thank our customer for the time out of there day for the honest input.

General Manager.

Colin B.
10/28/2016
They charge full price, but they do not do a full job.
I have been a loyal customer of Sun Automotive, Springfield for the better part of a decade. My first experience, auto body work, was very positive. However subsequent experiences have been quite negative. A couple of years ago I went in to get a couple of things fixed, and I was told it would be $1000s of dollars to fix everything that was wrong with it, so I told them to start with what I could afford at the time, the belts and the parking break. When they ordered the wrong part for the parking break, they wired it to the frame to take up the slack instead of ordering the proper part, a fix that only lasted a couple of weeks. When I brought it back and asked them to fix it for real, I had to pay for the part (what happened to that 3 year warranty?); shortly after, I discovered the reason the parking break broke in the first place was due to another cable issue. I understand how something like that might be overlooked, but that’s why I took it to a professional who should be able to identify and fix the problem. After being over $200 invested into it, I still do not have a functional parking break.
One more story: the steering on this vehicle has not been working properly for a while. They gave me an estimate of about $1000 to replace the steering gear box. So this vehicle has been parked for two years, because the cost of repair was out of the budget. Seeing a need for it in the near future, I took a closer look at the steering and discovered that fluid was shooting out of the high pressure hose, a $20 fix, so I attempted to replace it myself. Unable to remove the nut, I again took it to Sun Automotive so they could replace it. Now the steering works great, but they charged me for 48 minutes of labor ($85) and didn’t even put the splash guards back in place, and they took the fasteners away so I can’t even put them in place until I find replacements. Now I’m no expert, but having supplied them with all the parts and steering fluid, there is no way it took them 48 minutes to replace a single hose and bleed the system, and yet they couldn’t even bother to put the splash guard back.
I understand that this vehicle is over 15 years old, but my family has been maintaining it to the best of our ability for 10 years and I want to keep it operational. An even if its old and junky, I feel it is important that if you pay full price for a professional auto shop to fix something, that they treat it like a brand new vehicle and fix it right the first time. I also think quoting the steering gear box replacement would be $1000 when it ended up being a $20 replacement hose says something about their professionalism.

MA
Merle A.
GMC Pickup
08/06/2016 Category: Service
Merle said he had a lot of problems with the business. It took sixteen hours, instead of four. He said he would not recommend this business because the mechanics did not know what they were doing. Otherwise, they were great.
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 08/08/2016

Sun Automotive would like to respond  to the situation involving Merle's vehicle. This incident was not related to the technicians ability but was an issue procuring the correct parts for the 1974 vehicle. Sun Automotive did have the vehicle for an extended period of time and for that we do apologize.

Joe F.
GMC Pickup
10/15/2013
Callbacks
My last visit was your second attempt to fix the AC. It's still leaking coolant and does not blow cold air. More concerning to me is the recent front brake repair which included new discs. 2,000 miles later they started grabbing and I had to bring it back. Now I have a pickup with 2,000+ miles on the brakes and the discs have been turned once. This level of service is not acceptable.
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 02/06/2014

The Team at Sun Automotive imeadiatly contacted Joe Felton to try and resolve the issue regarding the GMC A/C concern. We offered to pick the vehicle up and at no charge, attempt to find a very slow leak in the A/C sytsem. After 24 hours with a special Dye, the leak was found which turned out to be difficult to detect. The leak also produced a green tint that was thought to be coolant but was not. The noise was found and also found not to be related to the front brakes. Sun Automotive Re-delivered the vehicle to Mr. Felton again at no charge and he was very pleased. We will attempt to always do the right thing by our customers as they are the most important to the success of our business.
General Manager

GS
Gayle S.
Mercury Grand Marquis
09/09/2016 Category: Service
Gayle said the business miss diagnosed her vehicle, and told her she needed a new battery. She has heard nothing but good things about them but if it wasn't for that incident, the overall experience would have been perfect.

Michelle C.
Mazda Protege5
08/19/2016
Take a closer look at the battery when doing routine inspections...
Thank you for the work that you've done on my car, but you did miss that my battery was almost dead. Luckily, I took my car to Les Schwab who made me aware and I was able to get it replaced. You may to want have your mechanics take a quick look at the battery when they're doing an inspection. I was getting ready to take a long trip to the desert and this would of been really bad had it failed.