Overall Rating 1.3333333/5rating 1.3333333rating 1.3333333rating 1.3333333rating 1.3333333

05/24/2019 Category: Sales
We felt very rushed and pressured
We found our car on the internet and although we are very happy with the car itself, we felt very rushed and pressured by our salesman, John, to complete the transaction that day. He even followed us all the way home from Gresham to downtown Portland to get a check although we offered to leave a deposit and return on Saturday to complete the transaction. This now involves a trip to the DMV to change the title into our trust-it could have been done at the dealer. Additionally, the car was given to us with the gas tank on empty, and a crack in the windshield.

GM
GAIL M.
Fairview, OR
Honda Civic Coupe
08/13/2018 Category: Sales
After 2 months, I still have not received my title and registration
After 2 months, paid $243.00 for the title & registration processing fees, plus numerous contacts with the sales rep and their finance department, I were told to go to DMV myself to do my own registration. When I got to the DMV, only to find out the title still not in my name. I can't register the car at all. . Tonkin keep saying I can drive the car as is. These people sure don't know if what they are doing. The problem still not resolved as they don't answer or return my calls.

Sandy, OR
06/17/2018 Category: Sales
I thought it was awesome experience! The people there were great especially Simon and Josh! They cared about me as customer, what I wanted and needed in a car, and my warranty! They are great people and I would recommend anyone to go there and have Simon help them because he is the man!
Heather M. from Tonkin Gresham Honda responded on 06/18/2018

By your reaction of how happy you were I believe you may have not scored us the way you meant to! I can send you a link to rescore.  5 stars is the highest with 1 bieng the lowest! Thank you for sharing about your experience here with us!

DT
DARYL T.
01/07/2018 Category: Sales
Customer service was average at best.
Misrepresentations were made by you finance representative Jeff that drastically changed the price of the vehicle I purchased. Although I should have gone over the purchase agreement with a fine toothed comb I trusted what I was told.

GH
GLEN H.
Damascus, OR
Honda Ridgeline
08/17/2017 Category: Sales
Beautiful building. Same old story
.Took TOOO long . Waited till end to give us the amount of the monthly payment. Took us so long because we had to wait fr the mouse house routine to be complete. TOOO may people involved.

AN
AMANDO N.
Gresham, OR
HONDA CR-V
06/29/2017 Category: Sales
I took my new Honda for service and I was promise a car for me to drive but there was no car waiting.
I have been a loyal Honda customer for long time, but I was so disappointed that I was promise something over the phone by Heather and it was not done. I was suppose to have a car for me or my wife to drive while my new car was in your shop but there was no car waiting when my wife dropped the car. My wife had to walk to home because of this reason. This is the first time that Honda has disappointed us after so many years of doing business.

CAROL M.
Carson, WA
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
04/05/2017 Category: Sales
Salesman only interested in the sale not what customer wants
Very upset and disappointed in my expierence. Several people who were suppose to call me back never did. Passed on to another person who never called back. I was lied to the morning after the sale. People at the dealer ship not interested in what I want only the dollar.

MARISA B.
Camas, WA
FORD FOCUS
01/12/2017 Category: Sales
Never again
Our salesman was a typical slime ball who fooled us good. Sent us off the lot with a car that was leaking and didn't care to correct the situation when we found out two days later. Ron Tonkin will never get my or anyone I know business. Ever.

SP
SHIRLEY P.
Gresham, OR
HONDA HR-V
11/22/2016 Category: Sales
Not satisfied at all
Left feeling discriminated and lied to

ROBERT M.
Estacada, OR
HONDA PILOT
07/07/2016 Category: Sales
NOTHING !!!!!
Salesman didn't know product. Had to look up answers to my question on smart phone. Was not willing to put any effort to selling us a vehicle. To lazy to locate vehicle we purchased. Couldn't sell toilet paper in a diarrhea wars.

MARC D.
Beaverton, OR
12/11/2018 Category: Sales
Typical dealer experience
We purchased a 3 year old vehicle from this dealership. Had the typical back and forth that is the stigma when dealing with car salesman. I was dissapointed to have to go through this. I was told that the car would receive new wipers and a full tank. Neither happened.
When test driving the car, I neglected to open the center console. Once we got it home, I opened the console to find that the top latch was broken, and the lid barely attached. I called the dealership and spoke to my salesman, Michael Prickett. Michael dismissed my concern, and told me that his manager would call me back. The next day, I had not received the call so I called the dealership again and spoke with one of the sales managers (I think his name was Josh). The manager explicitly told me that he didn’t have enough money in it to repair the car beyond fixing a loose bolt. I very much understand that I purchased a used car as-is. I’m just highly dissapointed at how I was treated post sale. There was no concern for customer service or satisfaction. I would not recommend this dealership. There are far better dealers in the metro area that have a greater concern for customer service.

BD
BJ D.
Honda Fit
07/14/2018 Category: Sales
Honda or Hondon’t
First off, I don’t normally bother with these surveys/reviews but this one I figure I’ll fill out. I didn’t really like this place or my experience.

I found a car through the CostCo Auto Program, which linked me with the manager here. After some brief texting back and forth he stopped replying after I asked about a specific car. I really wanted it so I decided to just go to the lot and check if it was there. I was told it wasn’t there but it could be soon. I test drove a similar vehicle and decided to go ahead with the purchase. I was told I was getting a discount through CostCo and the car I wanted would there the next day. Then while in the paying process I was told the discount was not from CostCo but because it was a demo car, currently being driven by a son of one of the Tonkins. I was hesitant but was assured it’d be fine.

I show up today, the car is there and the backseat is full of dog hair. I don’t care that much but there was a huge chunk (as in with skin there too, it was about the size of a car key) just laying there in plain sight, which just meant that they didn’t bother to check the car over. This is what ruined the experience for me. I now have anxiety over the “new” car I bought. To top it all off the car doesn’t have floor mats for some reason and I was told I could buy some...

Ultimately, the guy who sold me my car was great. He seemed relatively new at car sales or at least was honest enough to admit when he didn’t know something but was quick to get an answer for me. He was trustworthy and well that’s a great thing for a dealership. However, I felt like the rest of the staff viewed me as just another guy to make a buck off of and treated me as such. I got contradicting information from the higher ups and then was ignored when I came in to pick up the car I bought.

I feel like I would have written a very positive review yesterday but the process of getting the car today ruined it for me.

I’m sure I’ll regret writing this when I eventually have to return to get my car serviced but maybe I won’t even bother. If these guys can’t even observe a chunk of dog skin and dog hair all over the backseat, would I really trust them to service the vehicle?

TP
TIMOTHY P.
Camas, WA
Chevrolet Cruze
06/28/2018 Category: Sales
Pressured sales and purchased car was not detailed well nor was gas tank filled.
We made it very clear what our budget was to purchase the car we were interested in. Yet still they tried to upsale extended warranty and gap coverage. We declined and then our salesman's supervisor came over with his numbers sheet and again without being upfront tried to get us to accept high payment terms with extended warranty and gap coverage. In fact, I had to ask if it included the warranty and gap and he said yes. I got very irritated and said I just told his employee before he left to bring him over that we were not interested in purchasing the warranty or gap. "Why not?" he asked. To me, it's none of their business we are the customers period, respect our answers and decisions without questions.

I don't appreciate being swindled into accepting terms and packages I clearly already declined.

Next, I complained the car smelled of stale cigarette smoke which I know can't be eliminated with product instantly or it wouldn't have smelled during the test drive. No discount consideration was given for this issue plus it still smells after their miracle product was used.

Also, the detailing of the car was less than acceptable. The windshield was smudged horribly and was difficult to drive home. Also, no one failed to fill the tank which is common courtesy when you purchase a vehicle. It had less than a quarter tank. Again, not acceptable.

I will not recommend Tonkin Honda to my friends or family nor will be returning customers. Very disappointed in our experience.

RP
ROBBIN P.
04/14/2018 Category: Sales
Only deal with managers.
There sales man simmon is a liar and creap. Dont believe anything he says better yet dont deal with him at all.

AH
ANDREW H.
Oregon City, OR
04/06/2018 Category: Sales
Inexperienced Salesman
The salesman we had was very inexperienced, inept, or just didn't care. We were buying a new car that was fully financed through my insurance, but he kept having us fill out the same paperwork as for dealer financing. We kept asking us why, and he kept giving us evasive answers until he finally showed that, against our wishes, he'd pulled our credit. We had to get the finance supervisor over to explain what the heck was going on - it turned out it was just a soft pull, which I guess is a new requirement of our own insurance. But the fact that the sales agent couldn't explain this in spite of numerous requests on our part left a sour taste in our mouths.

ROBERT S.
Sandy, OR
02/12/2018 Category: Sales
need better press service for the cars you sell
You sold me a mustang that has a terrible knocking sound when driving over bumps. Couldn't hear them driving around city roads but the second you hit a bump it sounds like something is about to fall off. It also has a coolant leak coming from the motor. And the rear end oil was never changed. Seems like this stuff should be a standard when selling car.

MK
MATSWA K.
01/23/2018 Category: Sales
Terrible manager encounter
Bought a car, was lied to about gas for he vehicle and disrespected by the manager.

PG
PETER G.
Boring, OR
Honda HR-V
07/29/2017 Category: Sales
Deceptive practices
I agreed to a monthly payment assuming it reflected the numbers we discussed, and it wasn't until I got home that I discovered it included almost $4000 in extras that NOBODY discussed with me. I suppose it's my fault for not paying closer attention to the paperwork, but I purchased new vehicles there in 2012 and 2015 and they were completely above board... I really didn't expect them to pull something like that with a repeat customer. I mean, how STUPID can a business be?

EV
ELIZABETH V.
Monmouth, OR
Honda Civic Hybrid
07/25/2017 Category: Sales
Wha Ha Ha Ha! If you would like to know why then have the General Manager Call Me personally. Americans spend too much time filling out these damn surveys.
The Service department did not do their job. The Finance Dept, did a poor job. The Sales Dept gave me erroneous information with regards to DEQ requirments.

EL
EMMA L.
Clackamas, OR
HONDA ODYSSEY
02/05/2017 Category: Sales
Never again...
We went through our insurance with a car buying service on the vehicle we ultimately purchased. We were already pre-approved and ready to go. This was to be a quick and painless process. After some price negotiating on the trade-in and them trying to push their extended warranty on us, we were finally done and ready to wrap things up and buy the car. This process shouldn't have taken too long, or so we thought. Our financing was all set up without issues.

After 1.5-2 hours of waiting, we were finally ready to sign, but the manager failed to check his work. Ultimately he had to print out our paperwork THREE times, in order to get it correct. Every time, we would find something else wrong...personal information, vehicle information, dates...not once did he apologize for his mistakes. He just laughed them off, like we all had a ton of time to kill. Meanwhile, I'm trying to entertain our two young children during this whole process (when actually, they were really good!).

This manager, Jim, was down right rude and impolite. He had no manners, customer service skills or compassion. He was all about himself. Even after we began to sign papers, he once again tried to push his warranty on us. He even complained that he still had another buyer after us! At this point, we don't really care. We should have been his top priority, but obviously we weren't. We were spending a lot of money with this purchase and felt like there should be no one else he cared about at that moment in time.

Once our paperwork was finally complete (third attempt was successful), I asked about our copy of the paperwork we just signed. I felt we needed something to have in the car with us, until we received the registration in the mail from DMV. His response, "You don't own the car, [ABC] bank does." Really genius, I understand that, but we still need paperwork to prove the car is ours. Thank you anyway. Again, he was rude and belittling.

Please keep in mind we bought our car in the evening. We looked over the car best we could with the lighting we had/were given. It appeared cleaned and free of any damage. The next morning (less than 24 hours later), in the daylight we took another look around the car. It once again, looked fairly clean and in good condition. We did find that the High Mount Brake Light was cracked. We called the dealership back, talked with our sales associate, Andy. He said he’d have to talk with his manager, Jim about it and would get back to us. He called back and informed us that Jim said he would not be replacing/fixing the $36 dollar part. His words (relayed by Andy) were, "It wasn't like that when it hit the lot, so it must have happened on the lot." Really? Good to know.

Whether this is normal practice for this dealership all around or just our situation, I don’t know. We will not be going back to this dealership for any further sales or service. Nor will we be recommending Tonkin Gresham Honda in the future to anyone who asks.