Motorplex Auto & Heavy Truck Repair

Review for Motorplex Auto & Heavy Truck Repair
Randall Q. on 08/22/2016
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Slow, Overpriced, Poor Communication, Poor Effort"
Preface: I emailed the President of Motorplex on August 17 and received NO RESPONSE to my request for a refund. My story follows. Tacoma/Auburn area friends please take note:
On Thursday, August 4th, we were pulling our boat east on highway 18 approximately 1 mile southwest of Covington, WA. Our trailer threw a bearing on the freeway, doing obvious damage to the hub and spindle, and we were forced to stop. We called Good Sam roadside assistance and after they verified with Motorplex Maple Valley that they could repair the axle they had Pro Tow out of Auburn tow it to Motorplex Maple Valley. The towing process was smooth and professional.
When we arrived at Motorplex, we were told they wouldn’t be able to look at the trailer until at least Monday, the 8th or possibly Tuesday. I was disappointed, since I had hoped given the roadside situation we would be able to at least get a quote and repair timeline more quickly. But we felt our options were limited due to the circumstances and not being familiar with the area.
After hearing nothing on Monday, I called Tuesday and spoke to Wayman. He said someone had looked at it and we would need a new axle. This was not a surprise, since the assembly is the simplest type of trailer axle; single, straight and no brakes, and the level of damage was obvious at a glance. I was told there would be a parts and labor quote either that afternoon or Wednesday, August 10.
I heard nothing on Wednesday, so I called again on Thursday the 11th. I was called back and told they were having trouble finding the parts they needed from their supplier, but they’d for sure have costs on Friday (now 8 days since we left our trailer). I heard nothing on Friday. I attempted to call at 5:09pm but the shop was closed, so I was only able to leave a message. Meanwhile, I sent an email with an axle assembly I was able to find for about $300.00.
Monday morning the 15th, now 11 days since we left our trailer, I received a call with a quote. I was told the parts were going to be over $460.00, and with 4 hours of labor I’d be around $1400 for the complete job. I was also told the parts would have to be special ordered and take ANOTHER 10-14 days. I told Wayman I could buy a used trailer for less than that, and I’d figure something else out and come pick it up.
Tuesday the 16th, I walked into Robblees in Tacoma, and in 10 minutes I walked out with a Dexter axle that is correct for my trailer, hubs, bearings, grease, bearing buddies and an extra set of bearings to put on the old axle temporarily to get home. The total cost of ALL the parts with tax was under $325.
The next morning (Wednesday the 17th) I drove to Maple Valley to get my trailer. I was charged $115.90 for inspection and diagnosis. Since my trailer was in the yard and not accessible I paid the fee and moved it to the Autozone parking lot, where I put on a temporary bearing to get home. Upon arriving home, I removed the old axle, installed and assembled the new one and cleaned up the driveway in an hour and ten minutes. So I paid $325 for parts and put in an hour labor, and I’m not a mechanic. A FAR CRY FROM WHAT MOTORPLEX QUOTED ME.
I am understanably frustrated. 11 days without a quote, then an absurdly high quote that appeared to DOUBLE the stated labor rate, all after having arrived there by virtue of what I though was the good word of a reputable shop. To know that the parts are in fact, readily available, inexpensive and the complete job would take barely an hour just adds insult to injury.
There are plenty of shops out there willing and wanting your business. Motorplex did nothing to earn mine.
Service Date: 08/04/2016