First Choice Auto Clinic

Latest Review about 1 year ago

Jeff J. on 10/13/2015
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Run, don't walk away!"
I have waited for some time to "cool off" before writing this review but recent events have prompted me to go ahead and post my experience. First, I have read all of the other review posted here. My experience sounds similar to what others have expressed. I agree, they have some dedicated, knowledgeable employees. Denny, the Body Shop manager was extremely nice, professional and trustworthy. However, what started out with an "estimate" of $15,000 and 3-4 WEEKS turned into 4 months and over $50K. Yes, that's right, 4 times as long and over 3 times as much as their original "estimate".

How is this possible you ask??? Well, I'm not sure. To start off, they make you sign a piece a paper that says "Don't believe a single thing that we tell you because it is all a lie" and "we will bill you on a time and material basis every week and if you want to see your vehicle in one piece again, you will pay whatever we demand". That's right -- once they had my truck torn down into a 1,000 parts, they pretty much held it for ransom. Every week, I had to drive there and make my ransom payment, not knowing how much it would be until they handed me an "invoice". And I use the word "invoice" very generously. They would tell me how many hours the staff had worked on my vehicle in the prior week . . . no documentation, no signed time slips, no nothing . . . Zip, nada. Just a typed out piece of paper. They threw out a number and I had to pay it without arguing, questioning or complaining -- otherwise, my truck would stay in 1,000 pieces and they would remind me that I signed the "Don't believe a single word that comes out of our mouths" piece of paper. They shoved this in my face at least 3 times -- and they would threaten to stop working on my truck. I swear, there were weeks when they said they had over 100 hours on it . . . I'm here to tell you, they just made the number up.

I would stop by at random times to see the truck and often, there would be NO ONE working on my truck, or maybe 1 guy, and there were weeks when they looked me in the eye and said they had the equivalent of 3 FT people on my truck every minute of every day of the work week.

They had all the power and leverage and short of showing up with a UHaul and boxing up all my truck parts and then trying to find another shop to put it all back together again, there was nothing I could do other than smile and pay their bill.

Ultimately, my truck got finished and I think they did a "OK" job. I had to have it towed back to the shop 3 times in first 5 days after they said it was "done" due to sloppy work -- a radiator hose fell off driving it home and I lost all my antifreeze / coolant, my gas tank leaked gas all over while filling it up after the radiator hose was reattached and most of my lights did not work (which I didn't find out about until the first time I wanted to take the kids out for ice cream after dinner). Each time they fixed all of these items - for no extra charge even -- but a little QA would have prevented all of them from happening in the first place.

The way they run the place should be illegal, it is very disorganized and the owner is nice guy but a big talker. I believe that is the way he likes to run the place. I ran a successful business for 20 years and I believe their business model is to extract as much $$$ as possible from every sap that walks through the door, right up to the point of being sued (at which point they will back off a little) and they have no interest in having long term or repeat customers.

After spending over $50,000 in the spring of this year on a full restoration, I recently them called them -- twice -- asking for a 5 minute conversation with the Body Shop Manager and they said via EMAIL that he was too busy to talk to me.

Nice, huh?

So run, don't walk away . . .before it is too late.
Service Date: 04/09/2015
Review Created: 10/13/2015 01:21 PM
Mark S. on 09/20/2013
"Paint work done"
Dropped off some under the hood parts to have hydro dipped. Turned out great.
Vehicle: Dodge Challenger
Service Date: 09/13/2013
Review Created: 09/20/2013 05:40 PM
Bruce C. on 05/18/2013
"First Choice Auto, Hilliard, OH"
Although it was a busy day, the auto work was finished at the needed time. Recommendations were made for future repairs that did not have to be done any time soon with the assurance that this was not a safety issue. The explanation given made sense and saved us from spending unneeded money at this time. We appreciate the honesty.
Vehicle: Suzuki Forenza
Service Date: 05/17/2013
Review Created: 05/18/2013 06:08 PM
Gina S. on 01/05/2013
"Friendly"
Friendly staff and very helpful with questions
Vehicle: Jeep Liberty
Service Date: 01/02/2013
Review Created: 01/05/2013 01:06 PM
David V. on 12/21/2012
"New Custom Exhaust system for 1982 Caballero"
Normally this shop does a great job, however on this job, even though they had the car for nearly 2 months (not my daily driver) the muffler is right next to the drive shaft and rubs when making a turn. Will be returning to have it corrected once the weather warms back up. The pipes look nice, rubbing muffler not so nice. Still a decent shop though.
Vehicle: GMC Caballero
Service Date: 10/29/2012
Review Created: 12/21/2012 11:52 AM
David V. on 11/13/2012
"Knuckle bushing replacement"
I explained my urgency when I dropped the part off and they had the bushings replaced and ready by 9:30 that morning.
Vehicle: Cadillac Eldorado
Service Date: 11/07/2012
Review Created: 11/13/2012 08:25 AM
Billy M. on 10/08/2012
Billy said the business is personable.
Vehicle: GMC Sierra
Service Date: 09/27/2012
Review Created: 10/08/2012
Nathan F. on 10/06/2012
Nathan said this business is nice, helpful and honest.
Vehicle: Chevrolet Venture
Service Date: 10/02/2012
Review Created: 10/06/2012
Renate S. on 09/28/2012
Renate said she has known this business for a long time and they are fine.
Vehicle: Buick Park Avenue
Service Date: 09/25/2012
Review Created: 09/28/2012
Matt T. on 09/26/2012
Matt said it was hard to get in touch with the owner to set up an appointment.
Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Review Created: 09/26/2012
Patricia M. on 09/26/2012
Patricia said she is a repeat customer and have always been treated fairly. She said that they don't take advantage women customers.
Vehicle: Ford Contour
Service Date: 09/19/2012
Review Created: 09/26/2012
Gary B. on 09/25/2012
Gary said this business was fine and they have good service.
Vehicle: Jeep Commander
Service Date: 09/20/2012
Review Created: 09/25/2012
Rick K. on 09/24/2012
Rick said this business takes care of his vehicle.
Vehicle: Pontiac Bonneville
Service Date: 09/18/2012
Joe M. on 09/24/2012
Joe said this business is friendly, they get things done in a timely manner, and they are efficient.
Vehicle: Ford E450 Super Duty
Service Date: 09/20/2012
Thomas N. on 09/24/2012
Spoke with John. He said the business was unclear about the final pricing, but he did not elaborate. He would not recommend them for the reason mentioned.
Vehicle: Volvo S60
Service Date: 09/19/2012
John E. on 09/18/2012
John said this business did a great job.
Vehicle: Infiniti FX35
Service Date: 09/10/2012
Rich H. on 09/18/2012
Rich said he has always gotten along with this business and he has known Brian for years. It was a little sloppy on the administration side because the business had his old cell phone number and it seemed to him that they had his vehicle for three days for an oil change.
Vehicle: Buick Park Avenue
Andrew H. on 09/18/2012
Andrew said he had no problems with them. Brian always takes good care of him.
Bob W. on 08/23/2012
Bob said this business did what he asked.
Vehicle: Ford Econoline
Service Date: 08/20/2012
Review Created: 08/23/2012
Alex L. on 08/20/2012
Alex said this business did a great job. He mentioned he was traveling through California and this was the first place he went to that did not turn him down for vehicle services.
Vehicle: Ford Econoline