Platt's Performance Plus Inc.

Reviews (10)

Overall Rating 4.3/5Overall Rating 4.3/5Overall Rating 4.3/5Overall Rating 4.3/5rating 4.3

Hours of Operation

46 Lincoln Ave
Jamesburg, NJ 08831-1262
(800) 595-1978
Categories Auto Repair
Latest Reviews for Platt's Performance Plus Inc.
The owner is very rude.
I went for an oil change and was treated very badly. The owner is very rude and made me wait for over 2 hours and still did not have the job done. If some one brings the car for anything thats major work other than oil change they are treated well.
Service Date: 07/21/2015
Review Created: 07/21/2015 07:10 PM
Review of Platt's
This is a long review but if you're thinking of going to Platt's take the time to read it, it will help you deal with Ed more effectively and may save you some money.

I've had Ed work on my 2 of my cars 4-5 times over 2 years. Overall I think he and his guys are competent mechanics but each time the repairs cost considerably more than the initial estimate, with the most recent time being pretty spectacular:

When the emissions on one of my cars was expiring, Ed offered to run it through his machine for free to let me know if it would pass. He did that and told me it barely passed on hydrocarbons when he did the test. I felt bad that he did this for me as a favor, so I told him to go ahead and do a private emissions test on it for $70, rather me risking the free test at the DMV. I also told him, in front of a couple of his guys, that given the age of the car and the fact that it is rarely used, I could register it as a historical vehicle for $40 and never do emissions on it. So it should have been completely clear to him that I did not want to spend over $70 for this work.

As a sidenote, he also ended up identifying a couple of other things that needed to be fixed on the car such as changing a few belts and a replacing a missing nut which I agreed to pay for, these delayed the process and cost more than I expected as well, but they are beside the point.

Back to the emissions work, Ed did several tests including a smoke test and a compression test to try to get it to pass, despite the fact that when I gave it to him, he told me that it had passed at least once. He did not tell me that these were intense time consuming tests, he did not tell me I was being charged for these. When I called to get an update and asked about the tab, he said he'd add it up later and explicitly did not tell me that hours were being added for this work. I think this was deceitful. Be careful if you have him do work for you, get him to commit to a number of hours for a task or a budget and have him call you the minute it exceeds to try to mitigate this risk.

The most egregious charge however, was that Ed decided to do an oil change on the car despite the fact that I did one a few hundred miles prior. Still, what's the big deal, this is just a mechanic going the extra mile right? He charged me $108 for this oil change because he used racing oil. I have never heard of racing oil, I have never heard of a $108 oil change. There is an oil change price board in the shop, none of those prices approach $108. I asked Ed and he tried unsuccessfully to fold the numbers ($11/quart, 5 quarts, ~$10 oil filter) into $108 but could not. I think Ed tried to reallocate some other costs to this oil change. I think doing the oil change without asking me was wrong, but trying to charge me $108 for it was infuriating.

He did the same exact thing with the spark plugs. On the recommendation of a shop that specializes in these cars, I very recently installed Bosch platinum plugs. Ed took those plugs out, with only 100 miles on them, and replaced them with copper spark plugs that he thought were better for the car. Maybe it's a matter of opinion, so I just asked him to just undo this and put mine back. He did not do this before I picked up the car and billed me for the plugs.

However, I will also say that the shop works longer hours than almost any I have spoken with, Ed is always reachable, he picked up the phone once when I called at 11pm to leave a message that i dropped off the car, and they seem to treat cars with respect, using paper floor mats and he got my car washed once when it was very dirty (as part of a $600 bill so I'm not sure it's chivalry, but it was a nice touch).

Now to the bill, Ed flatly refused to tell me the price over the phone despite the fact that I intended to pay over the phone and pick up the car after they closed. He demanded that I come in person. So I drove an hour each way to the shop and started walking through a bill that appeared to at least 10x what I agreed to pay for the emissions work. When I argued the points above, to his credit, Ed did right by me and reduced the bill to the $70 emission work plus the belts and other unrelated work that he did. However, I think he did this because it was crystal clear that I did not authorize him to do any of the other work he was trying to charge me for. If this wasn't the 4th time I got a very big bill for not very much work, I would have probably bit my lip and paid it though, and I expect that many first time customers would just pay it as well.

The bottom line - be vigilant with the scope of work and tab, this place cannot be cheap. I do think that they do good work, but Ed is a shrewd guy and he will figure out a way to make you pay up. My advice is if getting a good value on your repairs is near the top of your list of priorities, go somewhere or else be on top of the costs as the rack up and scrutinize the bill very carefully at Platt's
Service Date: 06/19/2015
Review Created: 06/27/2015 07:58 PM
Got a question.
Ed, Got a question. For $49.95 are you offering "oil change and tire rotation? Let me know.

Service Date: 10/10/2011
Review Created: 10/12/2011 09:19 AM
How Lucky Can Some One Be!
When I moved from NY to Jamesburg I needed a new mechanic. I'm a pretty fussy individual when it comes to my cars and only want the best to service them. A neighbor gave me Platt's number I called and spoke to Ed and he invited me down to discuss the problem I was having with my one in NY could get it fixed! And so I listen to Ed intently as his brain cranked out an amazing diagnosis and how he could easily fix my problem. Moreover, he and his team seem to know everything there is to know about any car, truck or suv whether it was manufactured in the 50's or a modern vehicle filled with all sorts of computer chips and software. Cutting to the chase, Ed's team finished the job as promised and on time and I was astounded at how reasonable the bill padding or These guys are the real deal...true artisans when it comes to automotive issues. And they sprung for a new coffee machine, what could be better than great coffee and honest pros, 'How lucky can someone be!'
Service Date: 09/14/2011
Review Created: 10/06/2011 04:04 PM
Car maintenance
Very hands on during my visit. Did not fail me on my issue with lost wheel locks and went all the way to make sure that the job is done. Highly professional.
Service Date: 09/26/2011
Review Created: 09/27/2011 09:24 PM
ME H-Garcia
The diagnostics were challanging and they were up to the task. Very fair price for a complicated procedure
Service Date: 08/22/2011
Review Created: 09/06/2011 05:53 PM
Very happy with service provided! Professional and friendly.
Service Date: 08/15/2011
Review Created: 09/06/2011 11:58 AM
Great Mechanic
You will always get the best service, BEST diagnostics at a fair price
Service Date: 08/12/2011
Review Created: 08/29/2011 12:59 PM
Mercedes ML 500
always a pleasure! Great work and trusting people
Service Date: 08/16/2011
Review Created: 08/17/2011 08:58 PM
Recommend Platt's
I have used Platt's to mount and balance tires and for the alignment on 3 of cars. They have the best equipment available and, most importantly, they are "very" careful with the rims. So if you have a nice car with expensive rims, look no further than Platt's. They treat the car as if it were their own - and you can't ask for more than that. You can have the tires shipped directly to their shop and Ed will call you when they arrive to schedule an appointment.
Service Date: 06/20/2011
Review Created: 08/06/2011 06:23 AM
0 out of 5

Click a star to enter your rating. 5 stars is the highest.
What makes the place so great (or not) in just a few words.
format mm/dd/yyyy
About You
We only ever display the first letter of your last name.
By clicking on the button, you agree to the Terms of Service
Send a Message