Coleman Taylor Transmissions

Na A. on 04/22/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Avoid dealing with this supplier"
After I did some search, I found that this transmission re-builder (re-manufacturer) has 13 transmission shops over 3 States. I was encouraged to buy from him as I thought how can he sustain this industry if it is not in a good shape and reputation. I called and I spoke to a person called "Steve" on the phone. He told me that he is new in his job (and probably he will say the same for everybody to try to pull up himself from any commitments he will say on the phone and will mention that because he is new, he doesn't know everything) and after few questions I decided to buy from him a re-manufactured transmission for my Honda Odyssey 2003. I paid ~$2200 plus $400 for the core. He told me the transmission ready to ship and will arrive next Monday. I waited until the following Wednesday to call him again because I did not received it yet. He told me that they are still rebuilding the transmission and that was the first lie. I felt that there some kind of manipulation and dishonesty and I told him I want to to cancel this transaction. He apologized (usually he says 10000 apologize) and said that he want to correct this mistake. He offered me a refund of $200 to earn my trust. I thought this can be a fair way to make you regain the trust on them because why they lose money unless they want to build a good relationship with the customer!!!
I discovered later that I was wrong. I received the transmission with one of the sensor broken and I had to buy a new sensor from the dealer for $100. I called Steve and I told him that the sensor is broken, he said he will pay me back this money but he did not honor what he said, that was the second lie. It is just a way to escape from the problem and you have no way to claim what you agreed with him. The transmission installed for a total of ~$775. Immediately when I drove the car there was a whining sound in the transmission and I documented that from the installer. I did not drive on the transmission even one mile it is from the beginning. They send me a defective transmission. I called Steve again and told him what happen. He connected me to one of his technicians who tried in any way to sway the problem from the transmission to bearings or exhaust or installation fault. After a long discussion, they suggested that I need to drive on the car for few weeks and if the whining sound did not disappear, I have to call them and see what we can do. The sound became louder within 2 weeks and I had to call them earlier. Steve referred me a transmission shop who is an ATRA (Automatic Transmission Re-builder Association) member because Coleman Taylor Transmission himself is a member of ATRA. The tech in this shop was very skillful. He immediately said that there is a bearing inside the transmission that is not installed properly and this a very common problem with this specific kind of transmission and he is very familiar with this problem. The tech spoke to Steve. Steve tried to find any way to push the mistake on the installation or something else but the tech insist on his professional advise and diagnosis that this is from the transmission. Steve told me that he will discuss the problem with his supervisor and he will call me back later. Next day he called me and they said that they will send a new transmission. The new transmission was also late in arrival the same as the first delay. It looks like these guys have no already rebuilt and ready to ship transmission. They buy a used transmission after the receive a payment from a customer and the start working on it from the beginning and that is why it takes them long time to ship the re-manufactured transmissions. The new installer (who is an ATRA member) asked for a total of $900 for the installation. ATRA Members should repair the transmissions among them without cost within the warranty period although I personally think that my problem does not fall under the warranty terms and conditions because the first transmission was sent defective from the beginning. According to the warranty, Coleman Taylor Transmission (the warrantor remanfacturer) has a complicated formula including payment for the labor for 4 or more hours on a certain rate which at the end would be approximately $250 only and I have to pay $650. Within 2 weeks of receiving the transmission, I paid 2 times for the installation $775 and $650. I paid for re-installation of a transmission that is sent to me defective from the first moment. I asked Steve, why I should pay for the re installation of a defective transmission from the first moment with no driving even 1 mile. He said he will speak to his supervisor and they may make an adjustment. This is their way of escaping from their responsibility exactly like what he told me to pay me back for the broken sensor and they just kept silent. Till now this transmission cost me ~3400 and I did not drive on it more that 50 miles. I don't know how long it will last. I don't have good faith in these people. Please avoid dealing with them. I don't recommend any person to buy a re-manufactured transmission from them.
I hope that they will read this review. I will update this review if any changes happen.
Service Date: 03/17/2017
Review Created: 04/22/2017 02:53 PM
David K. on 02/16/2017
"Honda transmission noise?"
I had a noise in my 2008 Honda CRV that I was sure was a problem with my transmission. I called several transmission shops and nobody said they could help me because it was a Honda. Finally a transmission shop suggested I call Coleman Taylor in Franklin.
I took my car to Coleman Taylor and they determined my noise was a bad wheel bearing and my transmission was fine.
They were super friendly and easy to deal with...and I got a cup of coffee, a newspaper to read and all for free! I don't remember ever being treated so well at a car repair facility,
Service Date: 02/09/2017
Review Created: 02/16/2017 07:11 AM
Randy M. on 11/29/2016
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Awesome Folks, and Honest Too"
I have a 2011 Expedition that had a slight clunk when stopping. I went to the Ford dealer in Franklin who wanted $109 for an evaluation (not applied to the repair). I left and took it to Coleman Taylor. During the "evaluation" they determined that the software needed to be re-set, which they did at no charge. Saving money is nice. Being treated with respect is even better. Thank You
Service Date: 11/28/2016
Review Created: 11/29/2016 11:59 AM
Tom H. on 10/23/2015
"An honest shop"
I took my 99 Nissan Altima to Coleman because it didn't seem to be shifting smoothly. (I'd tried to get the transmission flushed somewhere else but they refused to do it since it was such an old car and recommended a transmission shop.) So the guys at Coleman Taylor drove it around a bit and told me it was really the engine mounts that were bad; the transmission was ok but fluid dirty. No pressure or even any suggestion that I had to have them do anything. I told them to flush the transmission anyway. It was done in less than an hour, total wait time less than two hours. They gave me a coupon so the charge was even less than expected.
Service Date: 10/23/2015
Review Created: 10/23/2015 07:51 AM
DAVID F. on 04/11/2014
"Excellent follow-up service"
I developed a significant transmission fluid leak well after the rebuild warranty period and they managed to rush me in during a busy schedule for an evaluation. The problem appears to be non-repairable without a full rebuild, but I was not charged for the inspection and estimate.
Vehicle: Buick LeSabre
Service Date: 03/21/2014
Review Created: 04/11/2014 04:52 AM
James W. on 03/31/2014
James said this business was good.
Vehicle: Ford Cab
Service Date: 03/05/2014
Annie H. on 03/31/2014
Annie said this business did great work. They were honest with the work they performed and did their best to be done quickly.
Vehicle: Saturn Outlook
Service Date: 03/05/2014
Gino J. on 03/31/2014
Gino said they did a good job.
Vehicle: Toyota Corolla
Willie N. on 03/29/2014
Willie said everything was handled well.
Vehicle: Cadillac DeVille
Service Date: 03/26/2014
Review Created: 03/29/2014
Torey G. on 03/29/2014
Torey said they were friendly and all around great. They were professional and had outstanding service.
Service Date: 03/13/2014
Review Created: 03/29/2014
Kenneth C. on 03/28/2014
Kenneth said 2 months ago when he had prior service, they could've sold him a transmission but they didn't. It wasn't his transmission. It was a catalytic converter. He told them for that reason he would come back whenever he needed a transmission. He needs one now so he's back.
Vehicle: Dodge Pickup
Service Date: 03/26/2014
Review Created: 03/28/2014
Keith H. on 03/26/2014
Keith said it's the quality of service he gets, along with the details.
Vehicle: Dodge Grand Caravan
Review Created: 03/26/2014
GORDON B. on 03/22/2014
"."
Vehicle: Honda Odyssey
Service Date: 03/20/2014
Review Created: 03/22/2014 06:02 PM
Cylina M. on 03/14/2014
Cylina said she was referred to this business and they were very friendly.
Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler
Review Created: 03/14/2014
Doug G. on 03/13/2014
Doug said the facility did good, quick work.
Vehicle: Jeep Cherokee
Service Date: 02/13/2014
Review Created: 03/13/2014
Bob W. on 02/25/2014
Bob said he has been customer for a long time and he respects the way the owner runs his business and employees.
Vehicle: Saturn Outlook
Service Date: 02/21/2014
Review Created: 02/25/2014
Caroline B. on 02/22/2014
Caroline said they fixed her vehicle's issues.
Vehicle: Jeep CJ7
Service Date: 02/07/2014
Review Created: 02/22/2014
Michael R. on 02/20/2014
Michael said he had to wait an additional business day for the repairs to be completed due to a parts delay.
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
Service Date: 02/17/2014
Review Created: 02/20/2014
Julio S. on 02/17/2014
Julio said this business gave him a free estimate. They are friendly and honest.
Vehicle: Hyundai Santa Fe
Service Date: 02/14/2014
Review Created: 02/17/2014
Drew J. on 02/17/2014
Drew said the vehicle seems to be working fine and the work was cheap.
Vehicle: Dodge Intrepid