Review for The Auto Shop
Robert M. on 06/03/2015
Robert said it cost more than $100 to diagnose his vehicle and there was no solution. He said they are decent and honest people, but the cost is too expensive.
Vehicle: Volvo V50
Category: Service
Service Date: 05/29/2015
Review Created: 06/03/2015
Jim a., Owner at The Auto Shop responded on 06/03/2015

Hi Robert this is Jim ,
There are two solutions as we discussed, one to replace the compressor clutch ,  second was the compressor..  I explained the clutch coil on Volvo's heat after driving for a period of time.   In order to check your concern out we had to verify the system was fully charged...then once that was done we drove it on two seperate test drives to try and duplicate the problem.   We could not ,  but we did spend over 1 1/2 hours on your vehicle .    You were charged less than the time we spent on your Volvo.   So your rating is unfair and not justifed because you did not state that I did give you my reccomendations that were also noted on the invoice that you signed.   I think it only fair to us that you reconsider your score.  I also said that If it happened again I would check it and monitor it for no charge.

Jim Barlogio
Owner-
559*734*2886
Jim a., Owner at The Auto Shop responded on 06/03/2015

Robert this is one of our tests that we perform

This is from our data base that we use to help determine intermittent problems like yours...

Sympton

The A/C will work for 15 minutes, then turn off. After it cools off it will operate again.

Testing:  Check for proper charge and function of ac system

1. Check for power on the single wire going to the A/C compressor clutch. Immediately after acting up, check to see if there is still power.

2. If there is power on that wire, check the overheat switch (if equipped) for continuity.

3. If the overheat switch is open, replace the compressor.

4. Check the gap of the compressor clutch. Spec is .3-.5MM. If gap is higher than spec, remove shims to get in spec, replace compressor clutch or replace the entire compressor.

5 confimed fixes 45 more were also posted that I can provide.
Wilson Wright

- COMPRESSOR

3 Jay Copp
June 6, 2012
Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
- replaced compressor and clutch assembly

4 Norris Pope
June 24, 2010
2006 Volvo S40, 2.4I 2.4L, L5, Asp N, Des B5244S4, USA *
Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
- The compressor would be running fine and then all of sudden it would cut out. Check the air gap at the clutch and it was 0.3 mm all the way around. Replace the complete COMPRESSOR and new CLUTCH and now its staying engage and COOLING GREAT.

5 Tom Harris
September 12, 2013
2007 Volvo S40, 2.4I 2.4L, L5, Asp N, Des B5244S4, USA *
Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
- Beat on face of compressor clutch while acting up as suggested in archive, found clutch to be weak, gap was in spec and 12V was present. Replaced compressor with clutch, fixed it!

6 ROBINSONAUTO1
February 24, 2015
2007 Volvo S40, 2.4I 2.4L, L5, Asp N, Des B5244S4, USA *
Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
- ac comprsser was bad once it got warm it would stop blowing cold ...if u let the car cool it would blow cold again

Jim Barlogio