First Choice Auto Clinic

Overall Rating 4.43/5Overall Rating 4.43/5Overall Rating 4.43/5Overall Rating 4.43/5rating 4.43

Sean C.
Galloway, OH
01/02/2019
Do Not Take Your Classic Car To This Place
Stay well away!!!! This past Summer Brian had one of his employees pick up my 1981 Datsun 280 Z for full restoration work. I had already disassembled the car in my garage. The car chassis had to be transported on a dolly (provided by Brian) as the rear drive train had been removed. The fenders, doors, hood, and rear lid were also handed over for restoration. The fenders were rusting mainly around the inside of the arches, and one of the doors displayed rust along the lower edge. I had already stripped the paint off of the fenders, hood, and doors, so the amount of corrosion was very visible. The drivers side and passengers side floor pans also needed to be replaced, as well as other areas around the rear wheel arches and windshield frame. I agreed to pay Brian $5'000 dollars (Check made out to Brian, not First Choice Auto Clinic), to start the restoration on the vehicle. It had been in my garage for ten years, and it was time to get it completed. Brian had shown me around his shop, and allowed me to see several projects that were in the works. I was impressed with what I saw and listened to multiple restoration stories he had to offer about existing and past customers. He convinced me that "First Choice Auto Clinic" was the right place to restore this car back to its former glory. After several weeks, I had heard nothing so I called to check on the progress of the car. I was told Brian was busy and would call me back.........well two days later I heard nothing and tried again.......given the same reason he could not talk to me, so again I waited for a couple of days, and called again. I was told once again that he was busy. At this point I was getting a little concerned, so I demanded that he call me back that day. He did, and said that he had been busy and apologized for not returning my call. I let it go, and set up a day that week to swing in and look at the progress on the car. I was sent an invoice for $3'200, and some change for 38 hours worth of labor, so I was looking forward to seeing the progress. When I got there, Brian was not around, so one of his employees showed me the work that had been done thus far. I was a little confused when I saw that the two fenders had had some rust cut out and a couple of steel patches welded in with some initial grinding around the arches. That was it! I took photos of the work and asked for the rest of the progress, only to told, "That was it". Three Thousand Dollars to half patch two fenders that I could have completely replaced for $1,200. I called Brian later that day to try and figure out why it took 38 hours to partially patch two fenders. He said that he agreed that it was high, and that he was out of town and was not on top of his guys. He also said that he tried to find parts, but had no luck! I find that hard to believe as it only took me 15 minutes to find two parts vehicles online within a 100 mile radius for $1'100. Although no offer of reducing the charge was made, he said he would make it up on the remaining portion of the project. We left it at that, and I said I would check in at the end of the year. I was a little concerned at this point, but didn't want to be one of those annoying demanding customers, as I have a small restoration business myself, and know what that can be like. I checked in last week, and was told that Brian was busy with a customer. I requested to see the vehicle anyway, and was told that it was outside at the rear of the building. I walked around the building in the pouring rain only to find my car sitting there uncovered and full of leaves and at least 5 inches of standing water in the floor pans. No hood, doors, or rear lid. The car was completely water logged, and appeared to have been left uncovered and open to the Winter elements for Months. I am completely confused as to why he would treat a customers property with such little regard. I could not imagine doing this to one of my customers!! no way. I had a tow truck pick the car up within the hour and had it brought back to garage where it sits now drying out. I am not sure yet how this may have affected the electrics and other components that were still attached to the chassis. There is water still leaking out of the frame. I asked for my fenders, doors, lid, and hood, but Brian would not release them until I returned his dolly, and that was after telling me that he was going to keep the remaining $1'800 for additional work? He had painted the fenders with primer, which I am not sure why, because they were still dented, and the patches still required a lot of grinding and finishing. So all in all, I paid $5'000 to rough patch two fenders, apply one coat of primer, and have the car dunked in a river! I would love to hear his response to this review. I have photos of this car leaving my garage, and of his "work", which is amateur at best, and the state in which I found it while in his care. Awful, awful business. Does not care about your vehicle, just wants your cash.

Sean C.

Theodore T.
Columbus, OH
03/04/2017
Theo Thompson
I am giving a review as the work is being done on my car. The staff has been totally professional thus far. Brian the owner super nice and took time to show me his complete operation, which was spotless by the way. I'll say more as the project is being completed.

JJ
Jeff J.
Delaware, OH
10/13/2015
Run, don't walk away!
I have waited for some time to "cool off" before writing this review but recent events have prompted me to go ahead and post my experience. First, I have read all of the other review posted here. My experience sounds similar to what others have expressed. I agree, they have some dedicated, knowledgeable employees. Denny, the Body Shop manager was extremely nice, professional and trustworthy. However, what started out with an "estimate" of $15,000 and 3-4 WEEKS turned into 4 months and over $50K. Yes, that's right, 4 times as long and over 3 times as much as their original "estimate".

How is this possible you ask??? Well, I'm not sure. To start off, they make you sign a piece a paper that says "Don't believe a single thing that we tell you because it is all a lie" and "we will bill you on a time and material basis every week and if you want to see your vehicle in one piece again, you will pay whatever we demand". That's right -- once they had my truck torn down into a 1,000 parts, they pretty much held it for ransom. Every week, I had to drive there and make my ransom payment, not knowing how much it would be until they handed me an "invoice". And I use the word "invoice" very generously. They would tell me how many hours the staff had worked on my vehicle in the prior week . . . no documentation, no signed time slips, no nothing . . . Zip, nada. Just a typed out piece of paper. They threw out a number and I had to pay it without arguing, questioning or complaining -- otherwise, my truck would stay in 1,000 pieces and they would remind me that I signed the "Don't believe a single word that comes out of our mouths" piece of paper. They shoved this in my face at least 3 times -- and they would threaten to stop working on my truck. I swear, there were weeks when they said they had over 100 hours on it . . . I'm here to tell you, they just made the number up.

I would stop by at random times to see the truck and often, there would be NO ONE working on my truck, or maybe 1 guy, and there were weeks when they looked me in the eye and said they had the equivalent of 3 FT people on my truck every minute of every day of the work week.

They had all the power and leverage and short of showing up with a UHaul and boxing up all my truck parts and then trying to find another shop to put it all back together again, there was nothing I could do other than smile and pay their bill.

Ultimately, my truck got finished and I think they did a "OK" job. I had to have it towed back to the shop 3 times in first 5 days after they said it was "done" due to sloppy work -- a radiator hose fell off driving it home and I lost all my antifreeze / coolant, my gas tank leaked gas all over while filling it up after the radiator hose was reattached and most of my lights did not work (which I didn't find out about until the first time I wanted to take the kids out for ice cream after dinner). Each time they fixed all of these items - for no extra charge even -- but a little QA would have prevented all of them from happening in the first place.

The way they run the place should be illegal, it is very disorganized and the owner is nice guy but a big talker. I believe that is the way he likes to run the place. I ran a successful business for 20 years and I believe their business model is to extract as much $$$ as possible from every sap that walks through the door, right up to the point of being sued (at which point they will back off a little) and they have no interest in having long term or repeat customers.

After spending over $50,000 in the spring of this year on a full restoration, I recently them called them -- twice -- asking for a 5 minute conversation with the Body Shop Manager and they said via EMAIL that he was too busy to talk to me.

Nice, huh?

So run, don't walk away . . .before it is too late.

Mark S.
Dodge Challenger
09/20/2013
Paint work done
Dropped off some under the hood parts to have hydro dipped. Turned out great.

BC
Bruce C.
Suzuki Forenza
05/18/2013
First Choice Auto, Hilliard, OH
Although it was a busy day, the auto work was finished at the needed time. Recommendations were made for future repairs that did not have to be done any time soon with the assurance that this was not a safety issue. The explanation given made sense and saved us from spending unneeded money at this time. We appreciate the honesty.

GS
Gina S.
Jeep Liberty
01/05/2013
Friendly
Friendly staff and very helpful with questions

DV
David V.
GMC Caballero
12/21/2012
New Custom Exhaust system for 1982 Caballero
Normally this shop does a great job, however on this job, even though they had the car for nearly 2 months (not my daily driver) the muffler is right next to the drive shaft and rubs when making a turn. Will be returning to have it corrected once the weather warms back up. The pipes look nice, rubbing muffler not so nice. Still a decent shop though.

DV
David V.
Cadillac Eldorado
11/13/2012
Knuckle bushing replacement
I explained my urgency when I dropped the part off and they had the bushings replaced and ready by 9:30 that morning.

Billy M.
GMC Sierra
10/08/2012 Category: Service
Billy said the business is personable.

NF
Nathan F.
Chevrolet Venture
10/06/2012 Category: Service
Nathan said this business is nice, helpful and honest.

Renate S.
Buick Park Avenue
09/28/2012 Category: Service
Renate said she has known this business for a long time and they are fine.

MT
Matt T.
Dublin, OH
Saab 9-3
09/26/2012 Category: Service
Matt said it was hard to get in touch with the owner to set up an appointment.

PM
Patricia M.
Ford Contour
09/26/2012 Category: Service
Patricia said she is a repeat customer and have always been treated fairly. She said that they don't take advantage women customers.

GB
Gary B.
OH
Jeep Commander
09/25/2012 Category: Service
Gary said this business was fine and they have good service.

RK
Rick K.
Pontiac Bonneville
09/24/2012 Category: Service
Rick said this business takes care of his vehicle.

Joe M.
Ford E450 Super Duty
09/24/2012 Category: Service
Joe said this business is friendly, they get things done in a timely manner, and they are efficient.

TN
Thomas N.
Volvo S60
09/24/2012 Category: Service
Spoke with John. He said the business was unclear about the final pricing, but he did not elaborate. He would not recommend them for the reason mentioned.

JE
John E.
Infiniti FX35
09/18/2012 Category: Service
John said this business did a great job.

Rich H.
Buick Park Avenue
09/18/2012 Category: Service
Rich said he has always gotten along with this business and he has known Brian for years. It was a little sloppy on the administration side because the business had his old cell phone number and it seemed to him that they had his vehicle for three days for an oil change.