Stephen M. on 04/16/2013
Stephen said he specifically brought his vehicle in to this business to get his oil pressure looked at. He mentioned when this business checked his vehicle they only looked at the engine and they decided not to check anything else.
Vehicle: Chevrolet Blazer
Service Date: 04/12/2013
Review Created: 04/16/2013
Mark J. at The Care Shop responded on 05/08/2013
Hi Stephen, believe me, I understand your frustration and I’m sorry you had to go through what you did, but in the end it does sound like you came out ok. Indeed, Stephen brought in his vehicle concerned about an oil pressure issue and a knocking noise the engine was making. He was also concerned about a number of other secondary issues that were worrying him given that he had just purchased the vehicle the day prior. During our inspection we did discover major engine troubles which the seller apparently was trying to cover up by adding excessive oil, which we drained and topped off to the correct level and while doing so found a large amount of metal debris in the oil and also discovered evidence of recent and very sloppy repairs. Furthermore we did, albeit at no extra cost look at some other concerns Stephen had including worn out shocks, major engine, transmission, and even differential leaks, not to mention the Check Engine and ABS light’s ON with a number of various codes. It became clear that Stephen had purchased a vehicle with some major troubles. Clearly this vehicle had some major and expensive issues that would need immediate attention. Well, as you might imagine Stephen was not thrilled with this news and was seeking ways to justify his purchase and to figure out what to do about all of the problems this vehicle had. Given that Stephen had just purchased the vehicle the day prior I suggested that he first call the police to learn about his rights in the situation and then simply call the individual he purchased the vehicle from and ask to return it for a refund. I never heard back from Stephen until I learned that he added a review and was quite taken back when I saw that he rated our service with only 1 star, so I called Stephen to find out why, and he said because we didn’t look at all the things he wanted us to so he wasn’t happy with the service we provided, however Stephen did also say that he was able to return the vehicle to the seller and get his money back, which in my book was the best thing that could have happened, and thank goodness or else it would have cost him thousands of dollars to fix it. We spent about an hour and half inspecting Stephen’s vehicle and helping Stephen with a resolution that ultimately allowed him to get his money back. We only charged Stephen $45.00 for all of this and in return we get a very unfavorable review which I really can’t understand, particularly when I and my crew “did address the issue he paid for” and we went out of our way to help save Stephen from a very bad situation. I do however understand that purchasing a vehicle can be a very stressful time, particularly when you feel like you’ve been taken, therefore I always recommend investing in a Pre-Purchase Inspection. It’s only $89.95 and it will uncover the types of issues that Stephen faced and catch them prior to committing to the purchase saving you all of that stress and giving you more confidence in your next vehicle purchasing decision. Stephen I’m sorry you feel that we let you down, but I believe that even though you may not recognize it now, we ultimately saved you a lot of money and aggravation with the vehicle you almost but thankfully did not end up purchasing. Sincerely, Mark Johnson
Michelle Y. on 09/14/2011
Michelle said when they couldn't get a hold of her, they left her vehicle there on the lot. Her vehicle was broken into and her tires were slashed. They also charged her $170 because they could not get her spare tires off and an additional $20 because there was no gas in her vehicle. Her wallet with her and her kids' social security cards were also stolen because they left the window rolled down. She had to drive with no driver's license to Oregon. They told her they couldn't help her out and it was not their fault. She said she does not want anything to do with them. It would be nice if they could refund some of her money.
Service Date: 08/27/2011
Review Created: 09/14/2011
Mark J. at The Care Shop responded on 10/03/2011
NOTE: This review contains false statements and is under management review.
Mark J. at The Care Shop responded on 10/09/2011
This is probably one of the strangest customer and customer's ex-boyfriend encounters I've ever experienced. Michelle brought in her vehicle because of a stalling problem. We diagnosed the problem, Michelle agreed to the repairs, so we preformed the repairs, and then called Michelle to let her know that her vehicle was ready for pick up, where she then told us that she didn't have the money for the repairs and was looking for ways to get the money and would get back to us. Three weeks later Michelle finally picked up her vehicle during which time the Police were involved, her ex-boyfriend visited the shop a number of times and even offered to pay, but with a Post-Dated check, which thankfully we declined. There was an apparent tire slashed and wallet stolen which Michelle accused her ex-boyfriend of, to which there is a Police report in which Michelle, is fully aware of. The fact that Michelle could not give us an address for our records and the idea of a post-dated check from her ex-boyfriend and the fact that we didn't even have a phone number for Michelle (only her daughters number) suggests that Michelle may have been hoping that we would have taken the post-dated check allowing her to get her vehicle but then never to see her, her ex-boyfriend or the money for the repairs ever again. I only imply this because it was three weeks after the post-dated check was offered that Michelle picked up her vehicle, and according to her ex-boyfriend the post-dated check was supposed to be good the next day. Well, clearly had that been the case Michelle could have picked up her vehicle 2 1/2 weeks earlier. I think Michelle is upset that she could not get away with stiffing us for the repairs and then taking off to Oregon never to be found. Sorry to say, but this is my take on the circumstances given the events that unfolded. As for the $170.00, that was because we had to buy and install 1 new tire because her spare tire screw mechanism was broken and the $20.00 in gas was because she brought her vehicle in on empty and we needed gas in it to perform our testing and repairs, which she agreed to on both accounts. We could have charged Michelle storage for the three weeks, but we didn't. It seemed like she was in need of some help so we tried helping where we could. Perhaps we'll never really know the true intentions of this strange encounter, but in my 30 plus years in the automotive repair industry this is the strangest interaction by far.
Bryan B. on 09/13/2011
Bryan said that they gave him an initial estimate and put his vehicle up on the rack to start the testing, then while his vehicle was being tested they told him that their initial estimate was wrong. He asked if his vehicle was alright and they told him that it was fine and it was passing all the tests. They said they urged him to sign the paperwork for the new estimate. After he signed the paperwork they told him his vehicle did not pass the tests and he would have to pay another $80 for the diagnostic. He said that this business robbed him and he would not recommend them to others for the above reasons.
Service Date: 08/23/2011
Review Created: 09/13/2011
Mark J. at The Care Shop responded on 10/03/2011
NOTE: This review contains false statements and is under management review.
Mark J. at The Care Shop responded on 10/09/2011
First of all Bryan, I truly want to say I am very sorry that you feel that you've been robbed, and I do fully understand why. I agree that the original $49.95 estimate was incorrect. Bryan's vehicle is older than 1996 models and requires an additional state mandated evaporative test that does add $25.00 to the overall Smog Test cost. The original estimate was quoted without knowing the year of Bryan's vehicle, however once the year of Bryan's vehicle was known there was a revision to the estimate which Bryan agreed to before any testing was done or costs incurred, so there really shouldn't have been any problem up to this point. Because Bryan did okay moving forward with the smog test, we proceeded and indeed the evaporative test did pass okay to which Bryan was constantly inquiring as to the status of the test results, however in the final stages of the Smog Test his vehicle did fail due to high NOX emissions, which of course we cannot control. At this stage Bryan was upset that his car failed and claimed that had he taken it to a friend of his it would have passed, so he wished that he hadn't wasted $65.00 with us to only inform him that his car failed and that further diagnostics would be needed to determine the cause of the high NOX emissions which involves $70.00 in diagnostic costs. At the time Bryan appeared understanding, but apparently not, so for this I can only apologize and say that failing a smog test is never a pleasant experience, and from this experience we are now more diligent in asking the year of the vehicle before quoting a Smog Test cost.