Charles Automotive & Tire

MN
mondana n.
Mc Lean, VA
02/17/2020
Scam Automotive Shop ! Run.........
Complete Scam shop !!! One of worse customer experiences I had at any shop. Not only they practice bait and switch but the shop manager Jim Clark is total prejudice red neck. I should have been warned when I saw only one car there and no BUSINESS there! I am sorry I did not read the bad reviews (now removed by paying companies whom do that).
I Took my car (I am the original owner and had the car for FOUR years and have performed all services in accordance to the manufactures recommendation) to this shop for semi-syntactic oil change I had purchased through Groupon. I had made an appointment, in detail had explained to the shop manager Jim Clark, what kind of car it was and that I needed semi-syntactic oil Chang which he did object to. My drive there and back is short of 40 miles and one hour drive !!!!

About 10 minutes after I left the shop, Jim Clark called me to say that my car can ONLY use full-syntactic oil. I told him that I had changed oil for the past four years and the its in accordance with the Honda dealership. He said NO- the owner had said No and that only full-synthetic must be used. I called Honda dealership service dept and I got the name of the service consultant (Orlando- Rockville) and then went to the shop. I told jim Clark that I can sign a waiver so they do semi-s oil change for me- He said owner will not do that. Told Jim to call the owner and let me talk to him on the phone. He said NO, I make the decisions. I started to dial the Honda dealership service dep. again and told Jim Clark that we are going to do a conference call or I will put the Honda service manager on the speaker and we can ask him if my car qualifies for semi-syntactic oil change or not. Jim said NO and that he will not talk to them because it is not necessary !! He said, call Groupon and get your money back!

I told him, that I had come a long way and needed to complete the task so how much would it be to get full synthetic oil change and to get me out of here. He said pay $90 (I had paid $20 for semi-syntactic).
Now, I had no doubt that this was "absolutely a scam and a bait and switch" work to rip off a customer who has already taken the time to be there!!
Next, We calmly asked Jim if the 0-20 type oil they use states on the bottle any recommendation. Jim began to raise his voice very loudly , started to yell and scream at us in a threatening way for us to get the hell out of the shop because he will not do the oil change no matter what !! The fact that the shop was almost empty of customers with previous unfavorable feedback's should have set an alarm.

If Groupon continues to allow bad clients like Charles Automotive and Tire in Rockville MD for sake of a few bucks continue to do business through Gropon, that they are no better than this scammers.

RUN...........................RUN anywhere you see name of this shop, the shop manager Jim Clark and or the owner Garry Mandelson if he does not fire Jim immediately.

Candy S.
02/17/2020
Liars & thieves
We took our car for oil change and Charles Automotive shop refused to change oil not unless we pay $90 !.
Charles Automotive shop refused to accept Group on oil change that was pre paid claiming that was oil change is not for our car oil type.
We contacted The car dealer to tell them they car use the type of oil for our car & Jim Clark refused to talk to dealership or providing service with group on coupon that we already paid for.
Jim Clark in addition threatened the customers and refused to show the oil type that this mechanic shop is using .
This oil change shop will not honor their own coupons sold with group on and the group on is just a front for stirring people into the shop then get more money in top of Groupon coupons that they have sold which is usually is invalidated by their standards .
GM
Gary M., Owner from Charles Automotive & Tire responded on 02/17/2020

Candy,

Thank you for the review.  I'm sorry we could not honor the Groupon offer you presented us today.  We offered two oil change options on Groupon.  One offer was for a semi-synthetic oil change and the other for a synthetic oil change.  You purchased a semi-synthetic oil change package from Groupon.  Your 2016 Honda HR-V uses synthetic 0W-20 engine oil.  We can not install an correct engine oil in any vehicle due to the liability that would create.  We would be happy to perform the oil change with the correct oil for an additional fee.  Please let me know if this is something you would like us to do.

Gary Mendelson
Owner
301-468-8899

AA
Ashley A.
FIAT 500X
02/03/2020
Only great experiences
I've only been using Charles Auto for the past year, but each time has been nothing but positive. The work is done quickly, the prices seem fair (after comparing a repair quote to the dealership, I can say this with some certainty!), and they seem to really value customer service. I recommend them to anyone looking for quality auto service.

Miah G.
Germantown, MD
Quick & Easy

CA
Chinyere A.
Oil change.
There was no delay with scheduling an appointment for the oil change. Once I got there, the service was fast .I was asked to pay extra for additional one quart and for filter change which unfortunately was not included in the groupon fine print. Overall, it was a quick service. Thanks.
GM
Gary M., Owner from Charles Automotive & Tire responded on 01/30/2020

Hi Chinyere,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Charles Automotive & Tire.  I appologize for us not being as up front about the additonal charges for your 2013 Toyota Seinna.  In the fine print of the offer; additional fees for premium or specialty filters and up to 5 quarts of oil.  Your vehicle requires 6 quarts of oil and a specialty, cartridge engine oil filter.

We trust you will consider us the next time your van nees service.

Thanks again,
Gary Mendelson
Owner
301-468-8899

Bethesda, MD
Chrysler 200
Fast and easy
First visit was great. Everyone was nice and welcoming. I was in and out. Thanks again

Jared L.
Potomac, MD
Volvo S60
01/28/2020
Another perfect visit
As always, the folks from Charles were pleasant and efficient. Their pricing is fair, their expertise is exceptional and I’d never take my cars anywhere else.

BC
Briana C.
Washington, DC
01/28/2020
This was my first time visiting Charles Automotive & Tire. I loved the experience. Everyone was so nice and I got there before my 8AM oil change at 7:56AM and was greeted warmly and offered refreshments. And they took my car and started. They ended right on the hour just like what was told to me. Before leaving was given an estimate for other work I need done and they were very knowledgeable and accommodating. All and all was a great experience and warm welcome.

Josiane S.
01/23/2020
Great and fast service
Great service, nice and polite staff

David D.
01/22/2020
Professional, reliable, and friendly
I always highly recommend this garage to my friends. The service is always professional and reliable with prices that are reasonable.

Potomac, MD
01/11/2020
Professional, Reliable, and Clearly Communicated Work that needed to be done
Thank hour for making our son’s Corolla safe to drive again. It gives us peace of mind.

AZ
Anna Z.
Bethesda, MD
01/10/2020
Respectful and kind
They were efficient, honest, and didn't try to upsell me bc I'm a woman. They informed me of what I needed in terms of upcoming maintenance and treated me with respect.

Honda Civic Cpe
01/09/2020
Customer service
Called for an oil appointment and was able to get me in same day within an hour. The job took about 30 mins in and out. Customer service is beyond superb. Thank you for your service!

Sarah H.
Honda Civic Cpe
01/08/2020
Convenient with fast turn around
This place is just around the corner and service was fast, reasonably priced, and did the trick. Interacting with staff was pleasant.

Christopher B.
Kensington, MD
01/08/2020
Always a great help
Charles auto is the best garage I've ever done business with. I always recommend them to anyone looking for auto repair. Great folks working there. They look out for your best interests and they are always upfront and honest. Its a place you can trust.