Charles Automotive & Tire

Dmitriy G.
Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
09/13/2019
Excellent management and addressing of my concerns.
Gary Mendelson, the owner of Charles Automotive contacted me over the phone very shortly after my visit and was very attentive and took his time to listen to my concerns and provide an agreeable resolution that satisfied me and will keep me as a long-time customer. Excellent customer service and management! Thank you.

08/30/2019
A very disappointing experience.
I use Charles Automotive regularly for my oil changes/tires and other services. Up until today, I've always had very positive experiences there. The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and prompt. Today, I brought in my 2019 Mercedes C43 coupe to have new wheels/tires put on that I had shipped to their shop. I was quoted $30 a tire over the phone at the time of making my appointment. When the bill came, it said $695 for wheel/tire mounting, alignment and tire pressure monitor transfer from factory tires to the new ones. I was told that the price was so high due to the new tires being run-flats and costing more to mount (my new tires were not run-flats). Also, I was never quoted a $400 alignment job (nor did I ask for one and would surely have declined if I had known that it was going to be $400). I also never signed a work order agreement prior to the work being done and to my knowledge, I was only here for the mounting/balancing of the new wheels/tires. The car only had 3500 miles on it and was not in need of an alignment. While I realize that some recommend it after mounting new tires, I still should have been asked whether I wanted it done, especially at an absurd $400 price. I waited for my car to be ready at their shop, so the tech/manager could have asked/quoted me the alignment cost at any point in time since it was never discussed/requested to begin with. I was also told that for these cars, the alignment normally runs around $200 but this was a specal need for the laser alignment because of my car model and yet I've never heard of such a thing, not even on the Mercedes-Benz forums where the normal cost of the alignment was frequently quoted at $150 at mechanic shops and $199 at the dealerships. The ship did drop the price to $535, which is still a lot more than I came in for but I didn't feel like arguing any longer. Very unahppy with how everything went down at Charles today...
Gary M., Owner from Charles Automotive & Tire responded on 09/13/2019

Dimitri,

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me last week.  Again, I apologize for not giving you a complete estimate for the wheel and tire work on your new Mercedes.  It’s a really nice car and we hope to see it again when the need arises.  And, glad we could help out with the old wheels and tires.

Thanks again!

MA
Marie A.
10/21/2020
Great Shop 5+++Stars
I have been maintaining my 3 cars with Charles Automotive for 10+ years. I go lots of miles and don't think twice about it because they preview upoming maintainance so I am not surprised. I am always pleased with their work and professionalism. They are always honest and stand by their work.

Jeff S.
05/15/2020
Awful Business Practices, do not give them your business.
This business is a total joke. I scheduled an appointment to utilize my valid Groupon for a synthetic oil change. After I arrived and informed Charles Automotive I would be using my unexpired Groupon for payment, the front desk representative left the room to speak with his manager.

When the front desk representative came back he informed me they’re no longer accepting purchased Groupons for their business because “they’re just not making enough money off them.” Furthermore, they “really just use Groupon to advertise.”

Where do I begin with everything that’s wrong with this? I asked the representative “so your sales tactic is to lure people into your auto shop by offering them a deal on Groupon without having any real intention of actually honoring it?”

I received an irrelevant response and the the representative repeated what his manager instructed him to say behind closed doors.

Let me offer some small business advice. If you want to experiment with an online platform like Groupon to grow your business but it doesn’t workout because you priced the product wrong then fine, you write that off as a failed attempt to grow your business BUT you honor your contract with Groupon and the clients who already purchased the deal until they have all been claimed or expire.

This manager didn’t even have the guts to come and provide an explanation to my face. Instead he hid out of view and forced a kid working the front desk to do his so his dirty work because he probably knew this was a totally unacceptable and extremely poor business practice.

I am extremely sympathetic towards the real and current struggle COVID-19 is having on small businesses, but this bait and switch business tactic needs to be warned to every patron considering giving this auto shop business.

MN
mondana n.
Mc Lean, VA
02/17/2020
Scam Automotive Shop ! Run.........
Complete Scam shop !!! One of worse customer experiences I had at any shop. Not only they practice bait and switch but the shop manager Jim Clark is total prejudice red neck. I should have been warned when I saw only one car there and no BUSINESS there! I am sorry I did not read the bad reviews (now removed by paying companies whom do that).
I Took my car (I am the original owner and had the car for FOUR years and have performed all services in accordance to the manufactures recommendation) to this shop for semi-syntactic oil change I had purchased through Groupon. I had made an appointment, in detail had explained to the shop manager Jim Clark, what kind of car it was and that I needed semi-syntactic oil Chang which he did object to. My drive there and back is short of 40 miles and one hour drive !!!!

About 10 minutes after I left the shop, Jim Clark called me to say that my car can ONLY use full-syntactic oil. I told him that I had changed oil for the past four years and the its in accordance with the Honda dealership. He said NO- the owner had said No and that only full-synthetic must be used. I called Honda dealership service dept and I got the name of the service consultant (Orlando- Rockville) and then went to the shop. I told jim Clark that I can sign a waiver so they do semi-s oil change for me- He said owner will not do that. Told Jim to call the owner and let me talk to him on the phone. He said NO, I make the decisions. I started to dial the Honda dealership service dep. again and told Jim Clark that we are going to do a conference call or I will put the Honda service manager on the speaker and we can ask him if my car qualifies for semi-syntactic oil change or not. Jim said NO and that he will not talk to them because it is not necessary !! He said, call Groupon and get your money back!

I told him, that I had come a long way and needed to complete the task so how much would it be to get full synthetic oil change and to get me out of here. He said pay $90 (I had paid $20 for semi-syntactic).
Now, I had no doubt that this was "absolutely a scam and a bait and switch" work to rip off a customer who has already taken the time to be there!!
Next, We calmly asked Jim if the 0-20 type oil they use states on the bottle any recommendation. Jim began to raise his voice very loudly , started to yell and scream at us in a threatening way for us to get the hell out of the shop because he will not do the oil change no matter what !! The fact that the shop was almost empty of customers with previous unfavorable feedback's should have set an alarm.

If Groupon continues to allow bad clients like Charles Automotive and Tire in Rockville MD for sake of a few bucks continue to do business through Gropon, that they are no better than this scammers.

RUN...........................RUN anywhere you see name of this shop, the shop manager Jim Clark and or the owner Garry Mandelson if he does not fire Jim immediately.

Candy S.
02/17/2020
Liars & thieves
We took our car for oil change and Charles Automotive shop refused to change oil not unless we pay $90 !.
Charles Automotive shop refused to accept Group on oil change that was pre paid claiming that was oil change is not for our car oil type.
We contacted The car dealer to tell them they car use the type of oil for our car & Jim Clark refused to talk to dealership or providing service with group on coupon that we already paid for.
Jim Clark in addition threatened the customers and refused to show the oil type that this mechanic shop is using .
This oil change shop will not honor their own coupons sold with group on and the group on is just a front for stirring people into the shop then get more money in top of Groupon coupons that they have sold which is usually is invalidated by their standards .
Gary M., Owner from Charles Automotive & Tire responded on 02/17/2020

Candy,

Thank you for the review.  I'm sorry we could not honor the Groupon offer you presented us today.  We offered two oil change options on Groupon.  One offer was for a semi-synthetic oil change and the other for a synthetic oil change.  You purchased a semi-synthetic oil change package from Groupon.  Your 2016 Honda HR-V uses synthetic 0W-20 engine oil.  We can not install an correct engine oil in any vehicle due to the liability that would create.  We would be happy to perform the oil change with the correct oil for an additional fee.  Please let me know if this is something you would like us to do.

AA
Ashley A.
FIAT 500X
02/03/2020
Only great experiences
I've only been using Charles Auto for the past year, but each time has been nothing but positive. The work is done quickly, the prices seem fair (after comparing a repair quote to the dealership, I can say this with some certainty!), and they seem to really value customer service. I recommend them to anyone looking for quality auto service.

Miah G.
Germantown, MD
Quick & Easy

CA
Chinyere A.
Silver Spring, MD
Oil change.
There was no delay with scheduling an appointment for the oil change. Once I got there, the service was fast .I was asked to pay extra for additional one quart and for filter change which unfortunately was not included in the groupon fine print. Overall, it was a quick service. Thanks.
Gary M., Owner from Charles Automotive & Tire responded on 01/30/2020

Hi Chinyere,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Charles Automotive & Tire.  I appologize for us not being as up front about the additonal charges for your 2013 Toyota Seinna.  In the fine print of the offer; additional fees for premium or specialty filters and up to 5 quarts of oil.  Your vehicle requires 6 quarts of oil and a specialty, cartridge engine oil filter.

We trust you will consider us the next time your van nees service.

Thanks again,

Bethesda, MD
Chrysler 200
Fast and easy
First visit was great. Everyone was nice and welcoming. I was in and out. Thanks again

Jared L.
Volvo S60
01/28/2020
Another perfect visit
As always, the folks from Charles were pleasant and efficient. Their pricing is fair, their expertise is exceptional and I’d never take my cars anywhere else.

BC
Briana C.
Washington, DC
01/28/2020
This was my first time visiting Charles Automotive & Tire. I loved the experience. Everyone was so nice and I got there before my 8AM oil change at 7:56AM and was greeted warmly and offered refreshments. And they took my car and started. They ended right on the hour just like what was told to me. Before leaving was given an estimate for other work I need done and they were very knowledgeable and accommodating. All and all was a great experience and warm welcome.

Josiane S.
Silver Spring, MD
01/23/2020
Great and fast service
Great service, nice and polite staff

David D.
01/22/2020
Professional, reliable, and friendly
I always highly recommend this garage to my friends. The service is always professional and reliable with prices that are reasonable.

01/11/2020
Professional, Reliable, and Clearly Communicated Work that needed to be done
Thank hour for making our son’s Corolla safe to drive again. It gives us peace of mind.

AZ
Anna Z.
Bethesda, MD
01/10/2020
Respectful and kind
They were efficient, honest, and didn't try to upsell me bc I'm a woman. They informed me of what I needed in terms of upcoming maintenance and treated me with respect.