Gary Johnston Truck And Auto Repair Inc

Latest Review about 1 year ago

Dillon H.
08/21/2017
Dishonesty
I had some broken header bolts I wanted removed so I brought it over to their shop on 42nd and memorial. They had my car for 4 days saying that it was being worked on which I later got them to admit that it had not been touched. I went up there myself and addressed the issue and we agreed just to make it right and to continue. After not being able to drill out the head bolts they brought in someone to stud weld a rod to the bolts for extraction. Since one of the holes was botched from not using a properly sized center punch I needed to be retapped and helicoiled. On the second week of no progress I offered to bring another set of heads off of my race truck that happened to us the same head casting. Since the heads where already going to be pulled I brought 16 lifters to drop in ( 2) bolts remove both lifter trays and the lifters come right out. So I bring them 2 clean 706 heads, all gaskets, copper gasket spray for header gaskets, 16 lifters. They provided the head bolts. They took my heads to the machine shop to be pressure tested and resurfaced to insure flatness(only smart move of the whole job) compression tested a hair low on the exhaust side so valves where then said to be relapped for a proper valve seat. At this time they installed the heads and forgot to install the new lifters. They said they ate the cost of the new head and intake gaskets and since these engines use stretch bolts to fasten the heads those where also on them. I get the truck back and it runs terrible. Reluctant to take my car back to them I did what I should have done in the first place and started working on it myself. It was so lean the misfire was bad enough to flash my CEL (which means could cause catastrophic failure) my code reader showed my front bank knock sensor picked it up twice. I also had 4 O2 sensor codes? So I get under the truck and the driver side header has a downstream o2 in the upstream bank, the passenger not even plugged in. In my case I didn't need downstream o2 sensors so this was disregarded. Since no one decided to wear clean gloves during the install of o2's and spark plugs I had to buy 2 upstreams and 8 spark plugs. To get to the upstream on the driver you have to remove the driveshaft which tells me it was pure laziness to get up by the transmission controls to install the upstream.( up and down stream have completely different plugs so it's not a matter of ignorance.) after I did all this the truck runs perfect. They said they only charged me for book time for lifters 12.8hrs + 3hrs of labor(103hr). My total was 2200+. So basically there is 588.40$ unaccounted for. If you do the math they are charging me for the parts they had to pay for and for the machining. Another lie. I have done this for years on the front 40, my garage, buddies shop. There is a reason why I learned to fix and maintain a large verity of machines. I will never take my vehicles to Gary Johnstons auto ever again. I should have done it myself. They think I'm just some stupid 26 year old that has no knowledge of mechanics. Little did they know I have done this as side work for years. I do cracked heads, motor out reseal w/ re hone, valve lap and reinstall for 500$

CF
Citizen F.
07/27/2017
Avoid at all costs!
VOID THESE GUYS AT ALL COSTS! After my experience with them I'm convinced most of these positive reviews are fake - written by family members and friends.

On paying $500 plus to get my vehicle tuned up at GJTAR it died on me within twenty miles. I paid another $80.00 to have it towed back to GJTAR. Of course they didn't own it, saying the coil had just suddenly died out of the clear blue. Maybe... but what are the odds of that?

The coil repair job cost another $168.00. The "tune up" ended costing me $754.00!

And there's more. On taking it back home the second time the check engine light came back on again and it started running like crap. No passing power at all. Before the tune up it was running great. I was just concerned about the check engine light and that it hadn't been tuned up in a while.

I took it to Auto Zone and had them run an engine diagnostic through the obd port. The MAF sensor was red flagged. I looked under the hood and sure enough the guy who worked on it hadn't tightened the air box screws. Not only that, he'd used pliers to pull a crossover tube off the breather system, damaging it.

Lastly, both front fenders have numerous scratches and nicks in the paint where the fenders join the hood. There none before.

There are several negative reviews of GJTAR here. Here's another one.

You've been warned. Use these guys at your own peril.

CF
Citizen F.
07/26/2017
Avoid at all costs!
After my experience with them I'm convinced most of these positive reviews are fake - written by their friends and family.

On paying $500 plus to get my vehicle tuned up at GJTAR it died on me within twenty miles. I paid another $80.00 to have it towed back to GJTAR. Of course they didn't own it, saying the coil had just suddenly died. Maybe... but what are the odds of that?

The coil repair job cost another $168.00. The tune up ended costing $754.00!

And there's more. On taking it back home the second time the check engine light came back on again and now it's running like crap. Before the tune up it was still running great. I was just concerned about the check engine light being on and that it hadn't been tuned up in a while.

But there's more. Both fenders have prominent scratches and nicks where the fenders meet the hood - where before there none.

There are several negative reviews of GJTAR here and now here's another one.

Use these guys at your own risk.

Dewey J.
06/14/2017
trustworthy service
Had the injectors changed in my 04 powerstroke & now it runs smooth & strong like it used to. It was in & out in one day !! Exellent mechanics,friendly courtious staff .

RP
ROBERT P.
Owasso, OK
03/19/2016
Warranty
I had a year warranty on some new injectors. Took it back in at 10 months after hearing a noise and they replaced one of the faulty injectors, tested all of them.

KG
KIRK G.
03/19/2016
Great Communication and Very Thorough
Have used Gary Johnston several times, and the things I like about them is how thorough they are in looking at the issues and potential issues, listing all of them, and letting you know what is critical, and what could possible wait for a while. Great communication through the process as well.

DEBRA J.
03/09/2016
Nice to have someone to count on
On my way home recently, I stopped to pick up an item at a local store. When I returned to my car to go home, it would not start. I called Gary Johnston Truck and Auto Repair. They drove to my location and checked out my car in a parking lot. A battery cell had gone out. After getting my car started, we both returned to their shop and they were able to install a new battery for me.

DEBRA J.
02/07/2016
Friendly, great customer service
Easy to schedule. Customer friendly and helpful.

CAROLYN B.
01/30/2016
Answered my questions, and explained everything in easily understood terms. I'm limited in my knowledge regarding cars.
I received friendly and fast service. I'm confident that I received the very best service for my car from the service team at Gary Johnston's shop. It was also a plus to have the AAA discount. The price I paid for the repairs were a good value. Money well spent!

KELLY M.
Inola, OK
01/24/2016
Employees very nice and informative.
Was able to get my car in to evaluate right away. Were very timely in contacting me back with analysis.

Mark M.
Eufaula, OK
01/12/2016 Category: Service
Mark said this business did everything they said they were going to do and his vehicle is running great.

MICHAEL G.
01/11/2016
Great service, very reasonable.
Family-type atmosphere. In and out in a timely manner, very recommended!

RJ
Ryan J.
Oklahoma
Nissan 240SX
01/11/2016 Category: Service
Ryan said they were very nice and they got the work done on time as well.

CR
Chris R.
Oklahoma
Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight
01/11/2016 Category: Service
Chris said the business provided good service.

BJ
BARBRA J.
01/06/2016
2006 Ford Taurus
Quality work. Friendly and professional. Thankful for a ride home and back to pick up my vehicle.

AL M.
01/04/2016
Customer Service
I needed shocks on my PU and these guys knocked it out... Gary Johnston puts the meaning back in great customer service

JV
Jim V.
Collinsville, OK
Scion tC
12/22/2015 Category: Service
Jim said the customer service provided by this business was great. He enjoyed his time there, and appreciated the nice way they took care of his vehicle

Danny H.
GMC Sierra
12/22/2015 Category: Service
Danny said the employees at this business broke something on his vehicle and he is still waiting to see if they are going to send him the part.

PB
Paul B.
12/21/2015 Category: Service
Paul said he was not satisfied with the services provided by this business because after spending $2600, his vehicle is still not running the way it should be.

TF
Thomas F.
GMC Acadia
12/20/2015 Category: Service
Thomas said his overall experience with this business was good.