Gears Transmissions

Overall Rating 3.48/5Overall Rating 3.48/5Overall Rating 3.48/5rating 3.48rating 3.48

Latest Review about 1 month ago

Rob A. on 09/18/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Misleading and Dishonest "
Provided a fair quote at first, once the work commenced the price increased tremendously. With being a large corporation our payment terms are net 30 days to which they agreed too. Immediately upon completion of work this company immediately demanded payment and threatened daily storage fees.
Service Date: 09/14/2017
Review Created: 09/18/2017 12:04 PM
bob t. on 03/18/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Best in the area bar none"
enjoyed my experience cant say it loud enough . I paid a little more but so worth it i cant believe how anyone could have had a bad experience .
Service Date: 02/22/2017
Review Created: 03/18/2017 05:47 PM
D P. on 03/17/2017
"DISHONEST!! Stay away!!"
My daughter was quoted an estimate of no more than $2500. to rebuild her transmission but once they had it broke down they wanted $5900. to repair it. DON'T GET TAKEN!!!
Service Date: 03/14/2017
Review Created: 03/17/2017 06:49 PM
Nancy F. on 01/21/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Sorry I went to Gears...expected better"
When I first walked into Gears I expected to see the guy I had seen at the TV station and on the show. Instead I got Keith. He seemed nice, said he wasn't good at talking to people, that he really wanted to be working on the vehicles. We decided my Tranny needed rebuilding, and he gave me a decent price. I went and took out a loan for a little more than what he had charged me. I brought 1/2 of it on Wed. He wanted the rest the next day. I wanted to wait until it was done, but he wanted the money NOW. And he preferred it in CASH. I took him the money on Thur. Friday morning as I drove by I noticed my van was still out in the parking lot. Fri. afternoon the nose of the van was in the door of the garage...still not torn apart and no parts being ordered. About Tues. I called and asked how it was going. He informed me that parts were ordered should be there the next day and probably would be ready on Friday. I stopped in I think Thur. He then showed me the mounts. Said they were worn out. I had my friend Tom stop in and take a look as I wasn't sure he was telling me the truth. Tom said they were worn out for me to go to OReailly's and get the parts and Keith said they would put them in. I went and got the parts. Apologized to Keith for mistrusting him..seemed everything was all good. Fri. Keith told me the parts didn't come in would probably be Tues or Wed. I was furious. I messaged the Owner, Katherine Furr on FB. Told her taking that long for parts was ridiculous. I waited until Tues. as Mon was a holiday. Keith berated me for messaging the owner. I had been told by Tom that sometimes parts DO take that long to come. I apologized to Keith for writing the owner. He told me the tech was pouring fluid in the tranny right then...that he would call me when I could pick it up. He did not call. I called him the next day, and he said..it was ready. When I got there, he tells me that one of the Mounts did not fit. I drove it very carefully home. Tom measured the old mount attached to the van, and the new one Keith said didn't fit....It fit just fine!!!!!!! Not ONLY did he not put the new part on, he put the old part on KNOWING that the rubber inside was TOTALLY BROKEN! If I had not been careful with it...it could have broken the Tranny. When I got my receipt It said LIFETIME warranty...On the Receipt HE gave me it said Lifetime warranty on Labor, 12,000 miles or 12 months on parts. I would be scared to death to take my van to Gears again! What a vengeful person Keith is...he KNEW that part was bad, and KNEW that the new part fit, but he was mad at me for pushing him to get it fixed and for messaging the owner. May God Forgive Him and heal his Vengeful Heart!
Service Date: 01/03/2017
Review Created: 01/21/2017 09:49 AM
Chris J. on 01/16/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Stay away, overpriced, rude customer service"
I took my Suburban here, 1.. because it was the closest shop to my house and my car had to be limped somewhere for repairs and 2...I felt like trying out a new shop. I dropped my vehicle off at 0800 in the morning when they opened. My vehicle was overheating and I suspected water pump or thermostat. The gentleman, Keith, called me at 1015 in the morning and gave me a quote for water pump and thermostat replacement at $892 + tax. He quoted me 4 hours labor for the waterpump and 1.5 hours labor for the thermostat. 5.5 hours total labor, I needed the car back as soon as possible and figured at 1030 in the morning, it surely would be done by the end of the day, seeing as they had 6.5 hours left in the work day and I was the first one there that morning. Closing time came around at 1700, not a single word, no communication. I called at 1705 and they said they should have it wrapped up first thing in the morning. I was pissed off. It didn't get finished til 1100 the next day, and I had to walk down there to figure out it was done. Again, Lack of communication. I agreed to have the job done at the quoted price because I needed the car fixed and I didn't know what the average price should have been. I called around to 3 other shops in town just to see where their prices stand compared to Gears transmissions. I was quoted $550 - $634 for the same amount of work and in less time. I argued with the man at the front desk about the lack of communication and the job taking 2 days to complete, as well as being overpiced. I missed 2 days of work due to this. The man at the front desk proceeded to tell me I was wrong because I did not initially tell him I needed the car back as soon as possible. Now who takes a car in to the shop and doesn't want it fixed as soon as possible? Maybe the unemployed, but the majority of Americans have jobs and cant afford a third vehicle to allow for an auto repair shop to take their sweet time. Every other shop I have been to in my 33 years of life, has a waiting room. They diagnose your problem, they fix your car while you wait, then you go about your business.

Overall horrible customer service, severely overpriced quotes and slow work. The fact that they charged me 1.5 hours of labor to replace a part that is a part of the other (thermostat sits inside the waterpump) is beyond wrong. I will never take my vehicle to this shop again and I advise all of you out there to read and adhere my advice. They are dishonest and a scam. Go to Tuffy Auto in Lynn Haven. At least they are honest and their prices are $300 cheaper; you'll be out of their shop in few hours.
Service Date: 01/09/2017
Review Created: 01/16/2017 12:46 PM
SAMMY K. on 10/16/2016
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Don't be fooled. Stay away from this shop"
The absolute worst experience of any car repair. They tried to rip me off with a 7000.00 charge, then I called around and exposed the blatant charge, then they dropped down to 2500.00, insisted I pay cash, which I really think the shop manager was pocketing from his boss. Kieth told me I had a rare transmission, later found out this was a lie. Too long of a story to tell. What should have taken one day, turned into four days of expense for a person out of town. At one time was ask to leave. Kieth insisted he did not like me standing or sitting in their lobby. He felt uncomfortable. I'm sure they were hiding something. After I look back, I was foolish to have stayed there and had truck "fixed". I should have called the sheriff on the first day and had truck removed. At one time, I told them I just want the truck and will go some where else. They said, " this is not what's gonna happen". They then made a condition that I pay or they just will keep the truck indefinitely. If I lived closer and not 600 miles away, I would seek full investigation of this business. With this kind of practice, they wont last long.
Service Date: 09/12/2016
Review Created: 10/16/2016 05:29 PM
Sammy K. on 10/16/2016
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Stay away from this business"
All I can say, stay away, go somewhere else. This business is a total scam. They told me my tranny would cost 7000.00, it was not a common one. Later found out from many trans businesses, my F150 tranny was as common as sand. They went from 7000.00 to 2500 when I challenged their pricing. Took four days to fix. Really don't think the tranny had much problem after I put all into context. At one time had to get the Sheriff's office involved. Just one hour before they called me to say was fixed, I was headed to Panama City Courthouse upon the recommendation of the Sheriff's office. Don't be fooled by any positive reviews. The worst business transaction in my 63 years of vendors of all kinds.
Service Date: 09/12/2016
Review Created: 10/16/2016 04:27 PM
Karin P. on 03/27/2016
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Great service & very helpful!"
My friend from out of town had a problem with her car and we didn't know if it would be safe for her to drive back home before having it fixed. We thought it was the radiator. We drove to Gears without calling them and asked them to look at her car. Although they were busy, they took the time to look at her car and told her it would be safe to drive back to her home over 4 hours away and have her mechanic take care of the problem. Thank you!!
Service Date: 03/25/2016
Review Created: 03/27/2016 10:28 AM
katie f. on 01/05/2016
"Veron B."
I am just responding to your review dated 7/12/15 . I am the owner and I haven't been able to verify your name in my system also we have not had Keith working here since 2014 he was terminated . Sir I want you to please contact me if you have a complaint so I may make it right but putting information on the internet and stated the things your stated are very hurtful please know we would never want to upset you or any of our customers
Service Date: 01/05/2016
Review Created: 01/05/2016 11:58 AM
Katie F. on 01/05/2016
"Vernon B."
I am just learning of this review and If your review is valid and your a real customer I encourage you to call 850-763-1308 ask for me Katie Furr the owner. I am unaware of your records ever being in my shop and hope you allow me the chance to answer your concerns . I have never met you and will promise you this we are a good family and take extreme pride in being followers of Christ and as such do not cheat, lie or steal. So I am calling on you to contact ME to resolve this issue ASAP. Please know I am sorry you feel this way and want you to know that Keith was fired in March of last year and y our complaint was dated in July. I personally run the counter and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Service Date: 01/04/2016
Review Created: 01/05/2016 07:43 AM
Vernon B. on 07/12/2015
"Comprehensive review"
I had discussed with the office manager (Keith) on two occasions the work I wanted done performing a complete overhaul and rebuild of a Dana 44 TTB TTB front end. I supplied all parts needed

I was told that the labor costs were $100/hr and given an estimate of 20 hours and was told to expect the job to be done on Wednesday or Thursday. I made a point of letting them know that I was leaving to go overseas on Tuesday of the next week and it needed to be done (I work at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean). I left them a check for $2000. On Monday my truck was taken into the service bay and lifted. The Dana 44 axil removed and disassembled. I noted at the time that the Rear differential cover had been removed. When I asked about this I was told that it had been removed by error (this should have been a warning to me that something wasn’t right).

I went by again on Tuesday and noted that no apparent work had been done, disassembled parts were still in the same place, nothing else had been removed and nothing else installed.

On Wednesday I was told that the job was going to take longer than originally thought as I wanted the Axil pivot bushings replaced and the ball joints replaced (though I had previously discussed this with the office manager). I was told this would be another $2000 which I paid and was told it would be ready on Friday. Upon looking at the truck Wednesday afternoon the only work that had been accomplished since Tuesday afternoon was the Ball Joints had been replaced and the knuckles painted.

On Thursday afternoon I went by again. Again there had been no work accomplished at all as I was noting how the disassembled parts were placed and what parts had been removed from the boxes of parts I had left with them. I asked if it would be ready by Friday afternoon and was told it would be. They also stated the Mechanic would be starting on it shortly that afternoon
…………….

Note this. I had given them $4000 (wildly overcharged as I found out later). At a labor rate of $100/hr (remember I supplied all parts) I should have had a mechanic working on this thing 8:00-5:00 Monday thru Friday. As I was under time pressure for this to be completed before I left for overseas I had driven by GEARS three times without stopping and looked into the Service bay to note the progress. In addition I had stopped once each day and twice on Wednesday. During the Monday to Thursday period I had therefore been inside to look at the truck 5 times and driven by and looked in the service bay 3 times. During these 8 visual checks to see what progress there was at no time did I see anyone working on the truck. As of Thursday the only work that had been done was to remove the axil, disassemble the axil, install the ball joints and paint the knuckles. I estimate that only approx. 10-13 were needed for this tops.

Its apparent, and not a guess or a speculation, that they are double dipping for their labor charges. The same mechanic that should have been working on my truck is probably working on at least one and maybe two more jobs at the same time. Each job charging the customer $100/hr and each customer thinking he is getting that mechanics full attention, and each customer probably having to wait longer for their auto to be done that originally told, as I am. So they are making at least $200/hr from a mechanics labor and maybe more.

Its also apparent that this complex job, involving replacing ALL parts, and performing the alignments and adjustments necessary for correct Differential /Axil rebuild is going to be a rush job the last day if they want to keep their commitment to have it ready on Friday. This does not inspire confidence in the quality, thoroughness or professionalism of their work.

Their operational technique seems to be:
1). Tell you what you want to hear as to when the job will be done and how much it will cost (bait the hook)
2). Get the vehicle on the rack and disassembled (the hook is set, they got ya now. What can you do? A: Nothing) and discover that it will take more time or some other cost increasing discovery.
3). Regardless of what you were told and what you paid for they will work on it at their leisure in a time and way that suits them; which maximizes their profit and ignores customer service / satisfaction when that clashes with maximizing $$$$
………………

Its clear GEARS has the business ethics of a – We Finance Here $250 down on any car in the lot -used car salesman.

Don’t be fooled by the false veneer of “I’m a good family man” & religious paraphilia seen around. This is clearly staging and meant to imply to the customer that there is some basis to believe you will be treated fairly. To be a successful con man requires a good sales pitch and “Hosest” image. They have that but its apparent the Christian ethos of truthfulness and honesty does not extend to their business practices (charging multiple customers for the same mechanics time). The one and only apparent thing, in my experience, is that their business practice is to extract from the customer as much cash as practical in a polite and in a - oh so snake smooth - way as possible. The front desk office manager, is well practiced in this.
……………….

Final notes: Regarding their on-line reviews.
I thought it was odd that there were only 5 star and than 1 and 2 star reviews with nothing in-between (Google Reviews). I now tend to think this is because they are having friends and family post 5 star reviews as noted by another reviewer… its likely IMO that the 1 and 2 star reviews are more revealing of their actual rating.

Note the Panama City Better Business Bureau has them graded as D. One of the reviews there is from a person who had a similar experience to me. I think this D rating is more accurate as they can not go in and pad the rating with created entries.

Note the SurCritic reviews… All 5 star and one two star. The same thing happened to me that happened to this two star review person. I was encouraged to write a check and not use a Credit Card as I was told they could give me a discount for not using a Credit Card (a discount I never saw by the way). Note also it is suspicious that they have you make the check out to GEARS or John Furr who is the owner. I have never seen this before in any business where the possibility/potential exists of co-mingling cash between a personal account and a business account. Fishy. I also suspect these 5 star reviews are plants.

Note Mechanicadvisor reviews here: http://www.mechanicadvisor.com/fl/panama-city/gears-transmission IMO this is also a better indicator of what to expect at GEARS. Overall Review score is 2 stars.

I have learned from this that when you see a business with 5 star ratings and no 4 star, or 3 star ratings than only 1 star and 2 star ratings it’s a warning sign that it’s a bad business and the 5 star ratings are probably planted
Service Date: 03/01/2015
Review Created: 07/12/2015 01:43 AM
Todd F. on 08/24/2013
Spoke with Shawn. He said the business did a great job as far as he is concerned, and he was pleased with the service.
Vehicle: Lincoln Navigator
Service Date: 08/02/2013
Review Created: 08/24/2013
J.E B. on 08/18/2013
"Great"
Great place ....they drop us off and picked us up when the service was completed . First time ever ridding in a stretch limo and best of all it was free . enjoyed gears
Service Date: 08/08/2013
Review Created: 08/18/2013 01:21 PM
Lee B. on 07/31/2013
Lee said they do honest work and they communicated well with no surprises.
Vehicle: Honda Civic
Service Date: 07/11/2013
Review Created: 07/31/2013
Greg B. on 07/31/2013
Greg said the personnel were kind and helpful. The price for the repairs, which was $2700, was high compared to $1500 at a facility closer to his home.
Vehicle: Chevrolet Suburban
Service Date: 07/17/2013
Review Created: 07/31/2013
Alison B. on 07/30/2013
Alison said she is very upset that she had to file a complaint with Florida's consumer affairs. She had ask the owner 3 times for the receipt to the part she had purchased. He would tell her he would get right on it and he never did. She was also pressured into writing a check instead of using her credit card, which she did not want to do. Her vehicle at this time is not working. It may not have anything to do with this place of business. She will not recommend this place of business, nor will she come back in.
Vehicle: Dodge Sprinter
Service Date: 07/25/2013
Review Created: 07/30/2013
Larry J. on 07/26/2013
Larry said he really appreciates how the person he worked with actually test drove his vehicle. He found out there was a leak in his timing gasket. He fixed it and he was on his way out.
Vehicle: Dodge Pickup
Service Date: 07/03/2013
Review Created: 07/26/2013
William B. on 07/26/2013
William said he got really fast service. It is a family oriented business.
Vehicle: Ford Pickup
Service Date: 06/28/2013
Review Created: 07/26/2013
Melissa M. on 07/22/2013
Melissa said the people were very professional and they did a great job.
Vehicle: Chevrolet Uplander
Service Date: 06/28/2013
Review Created: 07/22/2013
Richard A. on 07/22/2013
Richard said they did a good job and fixed everything, but they were a little more expensive.
Vehicle: Nissan Maxima