Al's Car Care - Grove

Scott A. on 08/08/2017
Verified badge inactive Verified
"Tried to Upsell Me"
Al's Car Care told me that the exhaust manifold was cracked on my vehicle, interfering with the O2 sensor, and "making it run rich".
Al's told me "you have to replace the manifold to comply with emissions laws". They quoted me a price of $700 for the manifold, plus another $300 for installation. $1,000 total.

Boise Muffler usually does the same job, including parts and labor for about $350, so I declined Al's overpriced service work.

After ordering the manifold, turns out that the old one had ZERO cracks and ZERO leaks.

Al's mechanic provided me with a written estimate clearly stating that a "cracked manifold" was "allowing the vehicle to run too rich" and verbally told me that he had "looked at the manifold carefully".

All statements from Al's turned out to be false.
I have called Al's four times wanting an explanation or apology. All four times I was told "the manager isn't here right now but he will call you back when he gets in". Turns out that all four times I was promised a call from the manager turned out to be lies too.

I thoroughly believe that Al's tried to sell me work that my vehicle didn't need. I thoroughly believe that Al's knowingly and willfully gave me a false estimate for the purpose of scamming me.
I thoroughly believe that this incident resulted from more than "just an honest mistake".
Service Date: 07/12/2017
Review Created: 08/08/2017 09:37 AM
Dustin P. on 07/25/2016
Dustin said he was not happy with this business but chose not to elaborate further. He would not recommend others to them.
Vehicle: Chevrolet Silverado