Rodney M.
05/06/2021
Good Work, but gouging customer
Between my wife, my kids and myself I have four cars. I found Harding Auto Repair out of necessity when Huntsville Automotive Inc., my first choice, was booked for over a week and I couldn't get a timely appointment for them to diagnose/fix one of my cars. I called Harding Auto and took my car to them. I was pleased with the timeliness of the service and the value, and decided that they had won my business for all my car repair needs. I told several friends about my experience and encouraged them to use Harding if they had any auto problems. I used them several more times after that and was always pleased... until now. My latest problem was a fuel pump, which I knew when I took it in because the OBD gave a P0087 code, which is low pressure to the fuel rail. This is almost always a fuel pump. I dropped my car off, expecting to be as pleased as all the times before. I was not. I got a quote to replace the fuel pump just shy of $1,000. I told them I felt like that was a little high... to which they said there was a lot of work involved because the exhaust has to be removed to remove the fuel tank. I got off the phone and quickly did an internet search on how to replace the fuel pump on a 2013 Ford Fusion. There were two very detailed videos that showed the whole process... Did either have to remove the exhaust? NO! Watching the video, unless you are just totally non-mechanically inclined, I would estimate a total time of less than 4 hours and the exhaust didn't have to be removed. I quickly called them back (within 10 minutes) and told them to not work on it, I would come get it and pay the diagnostic fee (which they have posted in their office as $55 whether they fix your car or not - which is fair) and do the work myself. I showed up to get my car and was charged $172.35 - the receipt says no charge for checking the code and getting "LOW SIDE FUEL PRESSURE LOW. CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE, AND ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT, NEEDS LOW PRESSURE PUMP." But then it shows a charge of 1.4 hours (which calculates to $112 per hour) for checking the fuel injection system, which includes "Visual inspection, Fuel pressure test and Electronic Control System test". I never claimed to be a genius, but that check does NOT take 1.4 hours. I could've done that at home in about 30 minutes. Plus, the code had already told them the problem, why are they checking my fuel injection system? The problem was low pressure to the fuel rail, which would be BEFORE you get to the fuel injectors. If the injectors were clogged the fuel rail pressure wouldn't be low, but the engine would be starving for gas or mis-firing, and the OBD code would've indicated that. The only thing I can think is they were trying to find a way to charge me since I asked them not to do the repair and I'd do it myself.
Well, I purchased the fuel pump on-line for $150.00 and don't expect the work to take more than 4 hours (and that's with laying on the ground doing the repair because I don't have a lift that gives me ease of access, like they do). Their estimate had to be based on 7 hours of work at $112 per hour after $150 for parts. I just don't understand why they estimated 7 hours of work for something that should only take 3 hours, 4 at the most?
I thought I had found my preferred "working man's" repair shop for the foreseeable future. I guess it's time to reconsider and head back to Huntsville Automotive Inc. I will say it was nice while it lasted, I thought I had found a place that wanted my business... but I guess I was wrong. I gave them two stars in my review because of my past experience. But I won't be using them in the future, and I would advise others not to as well.

DF
DALE F.
04/22/2021
They know their trade well and provide honest answers.
They were very honest. I thought I needed something more expensive, but they told me I did not. Lots of integrity.

EM
ERIC M.
Harvest, AL
03/19/2021
2005 Accord LX_Rack and Pinion Replacement
I have used Harding Auto Repair for several years because they are honest, dependable and stand behind their work. I highly recommend them.

AA
ALDONIA A.
03/19/2021
The Best!
The best around, great service & super mechanics.

DORIAN S.
03/02/2021
Great Work!
I am very pleased with Harding Auto Repair. They have made my life so much better. I can drive my truck without the worries I had before thanks to them. Great customer service as well!

PL
PHIL L.
02/25/2021
Good service.
Jim Harding has been my mechanic for 35 years. He is honest and reasonable.

SF
STEVE F.
INFINITI G35 Coupe
12/31/2020
4 wheel alignment
Able to get an appointment quickly and was done in just a few hours. Feel better that car is aligned especially after buying new tires. Jim's prices are fair and I always know that he backs his workup 100%.

HV
Henry V.
10/14/2020 Category: Service
Henry said that they diagnosed his vehicle and he didn't approve the additional repairs.

Micheal W.
Chevrolet Sonic
10/10/2020 Category: Service
Spoke with Michael. He said they did a good job fixing the vehicle. They were not expensive. He has had no issues with the things they fixed.

Dante P.
09/11/2020 Category: Service
Dante said he'd recommend business for service.

CK
Casondra K.
Jeep Commander
09/10/2020 Category: Service
Casondra said always quick, prompt, efficient service. .

NH
Nathan H.
Ford Super Duty F-250 SRW
09/03/2020 Category: Service
Nathan said they are honest.

Mike R.
09/02/2020 Category: Service
Mike said it takes a long time to get to his vehicle.

DT
David T.
Volkswagen Routan
08/10/2020 Category: Service
David said the staff does a good job and provides good service.

GR
Gail R.
Toyota Sequoia
07/18/2020 Category: Service
Gail said she's still having problems with her vehicle but the overall service was good.