Sterling Automotive Repair Inc

David D.
06/14/2018
Be careful with this place
If you need auto service they will likely be able to do the job if they can find the cause. They won't tell you what they find and lack on communication (no call backs for updates on what they find and a go ahead from you to do whatever work they want) so you will be at their mercy for both part prices and labor. Mine was towed there and they could not diagnose the problem because the truck ran for them after charging the the battery. So picked it up and ran it until the next no-start more than a week later. They didn't charge me anything for that stint but vehicle was in their shop Fri. Sat. Sun. and Mon. morning. Next time it was towed it would not start and they found a weak spark and replaced the distributor cap and rotor. Asked if it was corroded - no just weak spark. It was less than a year old having had it replaced at Sears last year. Well fine - it doesn't need a fuel pump. Then I picked it up and got the bill - $184 for cap and rotor replacement. When you consider that the parts listed were $115 and the rest labor (minus hazardous materials? $3 and shop supplies for over $9) it seems to me that their prices are exorbitant and padded. Maybe they know how lawyers work. 2006 Chev Silverado v6 5 speed. Hence I will be looking for another mechanic. I cannot fathom the hazardous materials charge and the shop supplies is dubious as well - maybe they got dirty and had to clean their hands with Goop and shop towels. Either way I'm dissatisfied with the outcome. Advance Auto has a rotor (BWD #D236) for $15 and a cap (BWD #C280) for $35 - that is $50 total. That means the parts they used were $65 more expensive. So if you like taking two weeks to have your vehicle fixed and being over charged on parts and having other dubious charges thrown in for good measure then you will be delighted to take your vehicle to Sterling. Say hello to the dog for me. Friendly gray mutt be careful of his teeth. They will bite you when they have you there.

Lynn M.
Roselle, IL
02/08/2018
Reputable and Great Service
I am a newer customer that found Sterling on Google and decided to give them a try due to the great reviews. My check engine light was on. They where gracious enough to squeeze me in immidiatly. When I arrived my car was pulled in right away. Marcus who stated he was a newer owner came out to tell me everything the inspection had found. I was impressed by his honosty as he told me what needed to be done now and what could wait. I will definitely be bringing my car here from now on and comfortable referring friends and family.

KF
kenneth f.
05/17/2017
19 years of great servive
Sterling Automotive Repair can be trusted to repair your vehicle only what actually needs to be done on your vehicle, they give you the very best service at a reasonable price. We not consider having any other repair place work on our vehicles.

Joseph D.
08/05/2016
superb mechanic

RI
Ri I.
Chrysler Pacifica
06/30/2016 Category: Service
Ri said they did a good job. The check engine light turned on and he is wondering if they put in the correct oil for his vehicle.

BV
BRENDA V.
Chrysler PT Cruiser
06/26/2016
Keepin my old car running
I keep thinking I better sell my car and get a new one but you all keep my car going. Guess I will keep the old cruiser a little while longer.

Corey H.
06/25/2016 Category: Service
Corey said everything worked out well during his visit to this business.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/28/2016

It is great hearing that everything worked out well!

EF
Edward F.
Blue Island, IL
Mitsubishi Galant
06/23/2016 Category: Service
Edward said everything was great at the business. His vehicle is running better now than before the service. They did good work and he appreciated their service.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/24/2016

Thank you for your kind words, and we are glad that your car is running better now.

FM
FELIX M.
06/19/2016
The Best Repair Shop Around
The owners are there and they care. The staff is engaging and friendly. OH, and the work is the highest quality and priced competitively.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/20/2016

Thank you for the kind words. It is always a pleasure seeing and chatting with you.

GP
GARY and ERIN P.
06/16/2016
Always a positive experience
Car is road trip ready. These guys are always above board and easy to work with. (Wipers are perfect now, Rich! Thx!)
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/17/2016

It was a pleasure! Have a safe and fun trip!

PT
Phil T.
Palos Park, IL
06/16/2016 Category: Service
Phil said this business finished his vehicles service in a timely manner.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/18/2016

Thanks Phil! Hope to see you soon.

GP
GARY and ERIN P.
Hyundai Accent
06/10/2016
Very trusted mechanic - always aboveboard
I asked them to inspect a used car purchase, which they did very thoroughly and without an appointment. Gave me confidence the car was good to move ahead with the purchase. Thanks, Rich and team!!
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/10/2016

It was our pleasure! Thanks for coming to us.

VM
Valerie M.
Nissan Rogue
06/07/2016 Category: Service
Valerie said they have prompt service. The vehicle was ready when they said and she liked her experience.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/09/2016

We are happy to hear that you had an overall good experience!

Joseph D.
06/02/2016
As usual
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/06/2016

Thank you!

SN
SEAN N.
Montgomery, IL
Dodge Avenger
05/29/2016
1st time at sterling
I broke down on McCoy dr next to their shop, walked over and asked if they did batteries (thinking that's what was wrong) and the gentleman said yes. I told him what my issue was and he had another man walk back to my car with me, put a battery pack on it and drove it around to the shop. They checked it over and told me what was wrong. I asked to make an appointment to get it fixed and they said we can have it done by 3 today. They where Very polite, helpful, and professional. I can't thank them enough for all their help and kindness. Even the office ladies where very nice. I will be a returning customer.

We always enjoy hearing about our customers experiences, especially if they are positive ones. It was a pleaure having you in the shop for the first time.

RICK S.
05/25/2016
Thanks again for great service!
Very satisfied as usual. I know that I can trust Sterling to do quality work and they never charge me for anything I don't need. Sterling is and always will be my place of choice for car care and maintenance.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 06/03/2016

Happy to hear that you are satisfied with our work. We appreciate your loyalty to our shop.

BP
Brian P.
Circle Pines, MN
Chrysler Pacifica
05/25/2016 Category: Service
Brian said the business worked with him. They were able to get his vehicle in and out within 3 or 4 hours.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 05/28/2016

Happy to hear that everything worked out! We look forward to seeing you again!

Canethia W.
Illinois
Pontiac G6
05/21/2016 Category: Service
Canethia said this business did a great job helping her out with her issue. They only charged her $1500 for the new transmission instead of making her pay almost $1900 for one. They were very understanding and are willing to work with their customers if they talk to them about the issues. She would definitely recommend them at this point.

05/21/2016 Category: Service
Canethia said she took her vehicle in for the transmission to get fixed. She was told, the only transmission pan, radiator and other things needed to be fixed. She was quoted $1800. She picked up her vehicle on Wednesday and on Friday. The transmission broke and her vehicle needed to be towed back to the facility. Her vehicle is still there for the first reason she took it in for. They told her they were going to call around to find her an affordable transmission. However, it has been almost 3 weeks. She went online to check out the reviews on this facility and it had good reviews but they did a terrible job.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 05/26/2016

Canethia, I understand your frustration. I want you to know, when the repairs on your vehicle were completed, it was road tested and everything was operating properly. Unfortunately when a transmission has over 180k miles on it, even a filter and fluid change can stir up metal particles and debris that can render a transmission useless.
I appreciate you for taking the time to talk with me and come up with a resolution. Always know that you can call me with any questions or concerns in the future.

sincerely, John Vamvakos

Mike L.
05/20/2016 Category: Service
Mike said this business did a good job.

Glad to hear it Mike!

Dan L.
Illinois
BMW 330xi
05/13/2016 Category: Service
Dan said the business provides excellent service.
The Sterling Automotive R. from Sterling Automotive Repair Inc responded on 05/14/2016

Thank you Dan we appreciate it very much!