Sunset Automotive, Inc.

Kurtis C. on 09/29/2014
"AC Repair on my 2004 Mini Cooper"
I found the folks at this Sunset Automotive to be friendly and customer service oriented. Unfortunately they suggested the wrong solution for my AC problem, which would have cost me $1500 of unneeded repair expense had I gone with what they suggested. I took my car to them knowing that the AC compressor clutch wasn't engaging (you could see it wasn't spinning with the AC on). Sunset's mechanics were able to confirm that the AC clutch coil was getting power, but was not engaging. They also verified that coolant levels were good and that no codes were being thrown - 95$ was charged for that info - which was useful to know and worth while. Their recommendation was to purchase a brand new OEM compressor (~$1050.00), parts and labor for install and recharge of the system came to a little over $1600. At this point I decided to do some research myself and in 10 minutes of looking around online I discovered this is an extremely common failure in my model and year of Mini Cooper. The compressors are well built, but the coil that engages the clutch is a well known point of failure. There are 5 or 10 youtube videos available that walk you through replacing this inexpensive part (bought one on eBay for $101 shipped). Here is the video I used to install the replacement coil myself yesterday:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1A41iHzBiE

My AC works great now and the repair only cost me $100 and about 2-3 hours of my time. I don't think this oversight was intentionally made - I didn't get a "shady vibe" from anyone there that I spoke to, but in this day and age with all the information available online, there's no reason a shop shouldn't include a little bit of web research in their diagnosis. 5-10 minutes on Google would have got them on the right path with my repair and as a result they would still have my business and some business from my co-workers potentially. Unfortunately due to this oversight I won't be back and can't recommend them to anyone else - sorry guys.
Vehicle: MINI Cooper
Service Date: 09/10/2014
Review Created: 09/29/2014 11:00 AM
Tom B. on 09/29/2014
"Blown Away"
1000 to turn off an engine light for rubber hoses and plastic sensors, 500 for a spark plug change, 400 for an AC charge... you are real pros.
Vehicle: Infiniti J30