MN
Bradenton, FL
Nissan 300ZX
07/23/2020
Pre-Purchase Inspection
Bart's missed some important obvious facts about a car I was buying:

-the clutch was ruined ($1K repair)
-front tires were flatspotted, from '96 and on backwards

I could go on but you can imagine how I felt when finding this out with a 600 mile drive in front of me.

They charge you $27 (I asked for a more thorough and expensive inspection which they didn't provide, lazy I guess) and spend 15 mins looking at the car.

Not what I wanted, not what I asked for.

DIANE P.
Vestal, NY
Chevrolet Cruze
05/14/2020
Lesson Learned—I won’t be back
I was referred to Discount Auto of Endicott when the problem that was just “fixed” happened again, nearly causing me to be stranded on the side of a road in PA with no cell service. The second mechanic told me my engine trouble is a direct result of the after market oil pan cap installed at Bartholomew’s eight months ago. I then had to bring my car BACK to Bartholomew’s again where they admitted responsibility, but gave me a pricey quote to pay them once AGAIN to work on the same problem. Subsequent phone calls about the situation were never returned. I have been left to research my options.

SHERRI W.
Conklin, NY
02/22/2020
Never thought I looked like a total idiot!!!
I've been driving for 41 years, so I know a little bit about cars. I took my car there for a inspection could have walked out $2,000 poorer. Everything on the estimate was a lie except I did need a tire. I got one elsewhere for half the price they were going to charge. FYI...when you purchase tires everything is included, if they charge extra for balance, install, disposal, etc. go elsewhere. There are hundreds of places to buy tires. Said I needed a battery, it was at 32%. The car wouldn't start when I went to leave because he left the lights on all night and day. He did jump it for free. I took it back to where I bought it and they said new battery cold cranks at 540 and my 5 yr old one is 420, so it is in great condition for a 5 yr old battery. Still starts in the cold every morning, 7 weeks later. He said I needed 4 sway bars and brackets, one bracket was broke. Estimate was hundreds of dollars. I bought parts and took it to Marvs in Hallstead, Pa. Mechanic there used one bracket and said return the 4 sway bars and 3 other brackets, yours are not broken. Cost was $42.00, labor, welding and part. Saved a few hundred. Said I needed a new power steering pump, mine was leaking. Had it checked at Southside Auto on Conklin Ave. in Binghamton. He said nope it's just fine. My car is 17 yrs old and has 220,000 miles. Mechanic there said of course your going to show some discolor, dirt and oils on pipes with a older car. But nothing leaking under car after it's moved and no power steering ok has been needed to be added in the past 7 weeks. He asked who told me my car needed all these things I said Bartholomews. He said his family use to own it and I'm not the first one with them trying to take advantage of. He even had issues with simple tires they did for him there. Now the inspection problems I really did have were no emergency brake and no wiper, but these weren't even mentioned in the estimate. I guess they aren't a big money maker. NYS needs to conduct their own inspections. You pay $21.00 so the mechanics do not make any money. Dishonest ones want to make money. So they see a old lady in a old car and think BINGO, I've got that bi..h! Bartholomews was recommended to me by two different people that couldn't believe me until I showed them the estimate. Go somewhere else and use common sense.

MARSHA B.
Binghamton, NY
Toyota Tundra
08/08/2019
Horrible
I have to say last few times HORRIBLE all around HORRIBLE. I was referred to them years ago and since was a reliable customer and would tell everyone to go there. The last couple of years I do NOT know what happened but as of right now I WILL AND I MEAN I WILL NOT EVER GO BACK.

DONALD B.
Binghamton, NY
02/07/2019
High unjustified prices
Stopped in for a NYS inspection and they said i had a license plate light out. I had them replace the bulb. it took them
about 1 to 2 minutes. They charged me $15 for a 25 cent bulb and 1 to 2 minutes to change it. I complained about this
and the manager told me the usual labor rate for this was $20 and he gave me a discount already .
I will not return there and will not recommend them to anyone.
You lost a good customer !
Brian C., OWNER from Bartholomew's Car Care Center responded on 02/15/2019

DONALD,  BARTHOLOMEWS IS SORRY YOUR WERE DISAPPOINTED WITH YOUR RECENT VISIT.   THE BULB REQUIRED FOR YOUR LICENSE PLATE COST OUR SHOP $3.31 NOT $0.25 CENTS.   OUR NYS LABOR RECOMMENDED TIME FOR THIS BULB REPLACEMENT WAS 18 MINUTES TO CHANGE THE BULB. OUR MECHANIC WAS ABLE TO CHANGE IT IN 6 MINUTES.   WE PASSED THIS SAVINGS ONTO YOU.   WHILE YOU WERE IN THE SHOP WE INDICATED THAT WE COULD DO MORE ON THE PRICE, AND YOU SAID "IF THAT IS WHAT YOU CHARGE, THAN THAT IS OKAY".  WE CASHED YOU OUT AND YOU LEFT.   IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE WE CAN DO, PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL AT 607-724-9551.  THANK YOU, BRIAN