MF
MATHILDE F.
Irvine, CA
MINI Cooper Hardtop
10/09/2018
Not good advices, wrong quotation, very expensive
You told to me to change parts that didn’t need to be changed! Prices more than expensive!!
Would definitely not recommend this place.

Irvine, CA
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan
09/16/2018
Overpriced and unknowledgeable
Due to the high ratings on Yelp and convenient location, I took my car into Cartech for stalling problems with my vehicle that happened the night before. Initially, I thought Tim was friendly and helpful, including his willingness to take my car in on a Saturday morning without an appointment, and options/steps on how to approach the stalling problem. However, after completing the service he recommended, I went home and entered the information on the RepairPal website, which provided a range of estimates from the lowest to the highest, for the same parts and labor on my vehicle in the local Irvine area. According to RepairPal, Cartech overcharged me by about $60 from the websites HIGHEST estimate, and that was after receiving a 5% AAA discount, which I had to ask for from Tim.

What is most disturbing though, is that I was verbally quoted by Tim an estimate of $1500 - $2000 for a "Timing Belt Package" that was supposedly due on my vehicle. He would not explain what the package included when I asked, which I thought was a lot of money and made me wonder if I should consider trading my car in instead for a newer vehicle. At the suggestion of a good neighbor who also owns a VW, I got a second opinion from his high Yelp rated VW Master Tech mechanic in Huntington Beach. The VW trained mechanic kindly told me that my 2009 Jetta DOES NOT HAVE A TIMING BELT TO REPLACE!!! I could not believe I was told inaccurate information at Cartech, who made me think I was going to have to spend up to $2,000 for an important service on something THAT DID NOT EVEN APPLY TO MY VEHICLE! Whether this was done intentionally or not by Tim, in my opinion it indicates he is either dishonest or at the very least, unknowledgeable about 2009 Jetta's. Thankfully, I found another mechanic to take my business to and was saved either $1500 - $2000, or thousands of dollars more a car loan for a newer vehicle. I recommend always getting a second or third opinion/estimate on your auto repairs, especially if car knowledge is just not your area of expertise. I will never return to Cartech.

VD
Van D.
Garden Grove, CA
10/30/2017 Category: Service
Van said he took his vehicle to this business for them to put Freon in it. They charged him $105, and they did not do anything. They tried to put Freon in, and the compressor would not kick in. They told him the compressor needs to be replaced. He stated they needed to vacuum it out, but the technician could not do it due to lack of experience. The technician did a poor job. He was supposed to check for leaks, but he could not get to it.