Crabtree Automotive Inc.

Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0

Dave C.
01/04/2018
Five stars down to one.
I had two good experiences with them over the years but the third was unacceptable. My car would only start if I wiggled the key and turned the wheel to the left. I spent $120 for them to look at it. They concluded it was a bad connection within the key cylinder and was going to cost me a grand and a trip to Portland to replace and re-key it. I started to do some research on the web and found there are a dozen ways an ignition system could have issues. I am sure the key cylinder has some wear but was that really the issue?

I called them and asked if they checked all the switches and relays beyond the key. The guy I talked to was defensive and seemed offended that I would question their work. However, the short answer was no, they did not check the entire ignition system.

So I got on the web again and taught myself everything there was to know about my ignition system. I figured out how to pull the ignition switch (took five minutes) and put a $10 multi-meter on it. All the connections worked accept the start connection. The next day I went down to O'Relly's and installed a new $20 ignition switch in their parking lot. So, $30 in tools/parts and 20 minuets labor got my car starting every time.

The paperwork they gave me says the mechanic pulled the ignition switch and it "felt OK." Had he taken a moment to put a Ohm meter on it he would have found the problem. They could have charged me another $80 in parts and labor and I would have been happy to pay it.

That all said, the guy I talked to should have admitted they did not check the entire ignition system and asked me to bring my car back in so they could. If they did they would have kept my future business, the five star rating and made even more money off me.

Mark W.
12/12/2017
Craptree
I'm such a nice guy all I am going to say is don't trust them. Tried to charge me 17hundred for an alignment. Took it to two other mechanics. Both agreed I didn't need the parts or service craptree advised. I will never go back. If I could give them zero stars I would.

Marty C.
03/11/2013
Will not return, nor reccommend, poor service.
Brought my vehicle in for repairs since it was running rough and some indicator lights were on. Asked repeatedly to have my timing belt changed and the issues that appeared on the diagnostic as well. They called me to tell me my vehicle was done, they only changed the oil and it was almost $200. Their response was bring it back when it is worse. Their suposed thorough check claimed my breaks were in good condition, which they weren't, they also needed replaced. For the multiple test drives, and 1/4 tank of fuel, anyone would have known the breaks needed replaced. I am completely unsatisfied with the service I receved from Crabtree auto and I will NOT be returning to waste my money. I ended up taking my car to another shop that fixed the problems for a more reasonable price.
My rating would consist of zero stars, but website won't allow that poor of review.
Paula C. from Crabtree Automotive Inc. responded on 03/19/2013
Reached out to Marty and Dana. Her job was performed on Feburary 5, 2013 Dana mis-spoke about the cost of her oil change. Her oil change was higher than normal as her vehicle uses synthetic oil and a special filter. Her oil change was $73.72. She also had diagnosis time for $90.00 Dana had brought the vehicle in because the oil light went on while she was driving. The light had gone out by the time our technicians brought the vehicle into the shop but we found that her oil was EXTREMELY dirty. The engine was full of sludge. The vehicle was also running rough. Our technicians knew that Dana’s type of vehicle is prone to problems caused by sludgy oil. They knew that engine performance can be compromised by the dirt and grime in the sludge. In the best case scenario an oil change could solve the problem. In the worst case scenario the entire engine could be compromised and it would need major engine repairs. They know that occasionally fresh oil can help with engine performance and solve some of these types of symptoms. In this step-by-step process our technicians wanted to do the least costly procedure in hopes of saving her time and money for un-needed repairs. At the time we discussed the fact that she would need to drive the vehicle to see if running clean oil thru the system would possibly solve the rough running. Our technicians explained that the oil change was the first step in figuring out how much damaged had been done to the engine because of the sludge in the oil. Our staff explained to Dana, the problems that can arise from EXTREMLY dirty engine oil. We explained that the sludge in her oil might have caused major engine damage, but the technicians wanted to try replacing the oil first in hopes of solving the problem. If the problems were not resolved we would need to do further diagnosis. They requested that Dana drive the vehicle for a few days to see if the symptoms changed and to call us if the symptoms remained unchanged. If the problems persisted we would need to do further diagnosis. Our technicians also scanned her computer for codes. Some of the codes were related to the oil sludge oil problem but there were other codes that needed further diagnostic time. Dana declined any further diagnosis of the other codes. Our staff also gave her an estimate for replacing the timing belt as she had requested. We advised her that the stand alone timing belt procedure might be included in her repairs if her vehicle needed other engine work caused from the oil sludge damage. In an effort to save her time and money, she was advised to wait until the oil and rough running problems had been diagnosed to schedule the timing belt procedure. In our latest conversation, Dana said that the vehicle is still missing and the oil change did not solve the problem. We asked her if we could go further with our diagnostics and she declined any further diagnostics. We told her that we would be happy to go further with her diagnostics at any time.