TG
Enfield, CT
Volvo S60
01/04/2020
Would never recommend
Single worst experience with any mechanic shop in my 45 years. Was going here for a couple years and my advice: “Stay away from here.” Had car brought in for suspension problem and asked car be given a full inspection to determine if it was worth paying to fix. 1300$ later and less than 24 hours later the check engine light comes on....there is nothing about the explanation I was given makes me want to recommend this mechanic to someone. Bad way to do your repeat customers over. When I called I got a song and dance that it was on and they reset and they never diagnosed it and let me drive off with an unknown engine problem.I asked for an inspection and a check engine light was on. You didn’t get a code? Really? That’s what people do when they don’t care if your family is safe. What type of mechanic resets a check engine light without diagnosing it on an inspection? Let’s see what the CT DMV has to say about it. Might have tried to work it out with the owner who seems decent but instead got to have their front desk person staring me down like she wants to fight. Really? This place can’t be trusted to keep your family safe. That’s my opinion, take a car here you get what you get. I don’t mind paying for diagnostics, I do mind asking for a car to be looked over top to bottom and not having it done. Fun fact: I had dropped off a second car to them that was being looked over when this whole engine light happened.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 01/15/2020

We do feel it was very unfortunate that we were unable to help rectify this situation. After exhausting all efforts to find some kind of solution by the service writer and the owner it became obvious that you really didn't want to find solution to the misunderstanding and very clear you no longer wanted to do business with us. We truly wish you luck in your search for another repair facility.

Ford Expedition EL
11/03/2019
Disappointed.
Disappointed and frustrated with wasted time and money and not have my mechanical malfunction resolved satisfactorily.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 11/05/2019

We're sorry to hear that, Anonymous. Unfortunately with a vehicle with as many miles as yours has there can be more than one problem causing a symptom. The best we can do in these situations is follow the cause as we make the repairs. We do still have the level sensor at the shop if you would like to move forward with repairing your air ride (which is not a cheap system to repair), all you have to do is give us a call.

BC
BRAD C.
Enfield, CT
06/04/2019
Prepare our older car for a tough trip; they did it to our complete satisfaction.
Had the 94,000 maintenance completed on our 08 Camry just before we took a 700 mile trip. They recommended two new front tires and we agreed. The car ran like a charm on the whole trip and we were delighted. The work was completed on time and obviously to our complete satisfaction. We will return for some break work at the end of the summer when another maintenance is scheduled.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/04/2019

Thank you, Brad! We're stoked you are happy with the work we did. We are a bit surprised, however, as it seems you gave us 1 out of 5 stars! Was this an error, or was there something we didn't do to your satisfaction?

Shaik M.
11/10/2018
No good
As you seen my vehicle time in was 11/9 2018 at 2:49:35 my time out was 11/9 2018 2:51:50 p.m. it took them 2 minutes to chang my oil that's mean they didnt they didn't drain the oil good.they said that the road test my car but look at the odometer in and out it didnt change .121504 so how did they do drive test? When I left my car was making a loud noise which I didnt have when I came in .they can't change Oil and inspect a car for 2 minutes. My clips was not broken before I came to your store .one the the technician told me that I have to buy a automatic car because of the noise they caused

Shaikmahmoud M.
Nissan Sentra
11/09/2018
No good
No good . They broke my air filter clips and they want to charge my to fix it .they didnt inspect my car which is included for every oil change
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 11/10/2018

As we explained, we found the air clips were missing from your vehicle as a part of our inspection. That was the reason we noted it during the inspection you claim we didn't perform. We're sorry you feel the way you do.

LD
Laura D.
Windsor, CT
Suzuki Grand Vitara
06/15/2018 Category: Service
Spoke with David. He said his wife was given an estimate of $1700 to do a catalytic converter on her vehicle, and they went to another business and got an estimate of $900 for 2 parts, so he is not happy with this business.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/21/2018

We're sorry you feel that way.  Our estimates are based of factory converters as we find aftermarket catalytic converters tend to fail prematurely.  We try to provide our customers with the best options for their vehicles to avoid trouble in the future.  Going though your history we also see that we didn't charge you for looking at the vehicle.  If you have any concerns feel free to call us.

SA
Steven A.
Windsor, CT
Chevrolet S-10
01/29/2018 Category: Service
Steven said this business is way over priced.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 02/05/2018

We're sorry, Steven, but we're a bit puzzled by this.  We diagnosed your vehicle for a bad transmission; a repair like that is costly.  We didn't charge you for the diagnosis and gave you a quote for the repair which you opted not to move forward with. As far as we can tell you rated us only on our pricing and not what we did to accommodate you.

Thomas B.
02/01/2017
Not knowing how to give an estimate
Very Very sorry I went to this place can't say the work is bad but the way they run you around is terrible.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 02/07/2017

We're sorry you feel this way, we were asked for an estimate on a vehicle we didn't see, upon starting the job, we ran into issues with the buildup of rust behind your backing plate and seized bolts on your 16 year old vehicle. There was an additonal 2.5 hours of time that we had into the job we didn't charge you for. We remained in touch with you every step of the way, letting you know where we were at with the issues we ran into, and saved you an additional $300 on your seized speeds sensor.  With so many variables an estimate is preceisely that.  An estimate.  Not a final price.

VP
VICKIE P.
Springfield, MA
Chrysler Sebring
10/15/2016
Top notch employees and Service
To receive a free oil change and maintenance on 5th visit gave me strong message of being valued as a customer. Thank you Dons Auto Care for caring.

10/15/2016
You and your expert team.
Not only do you place value on your customers, you put your money where your mouth is. Thanks for your expert oil and lube....on my fifth visit.

Vickie Phillips Chiz
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 10/24/2016

Thank you for letting us know you meant to leave the five stars, Vickie!  We're glad you like our buy 4 get the 5th free lube service program.  We look forard to your next visit!

JERRY C.
Chevrolet Corvette
06/24/2017
1994 Corvette
The overheating issue remains. After spending over $2,000 , the #1 fan does not operate when the temp reaches the fan turn-on point while at idle or in stop & go traffic. The temp must reach the near danger point and the #2 will kick in and bring the temp gauge back to 185 degrees. So, the engine temp repeatedly goes back and forth from normal temp to extreme. This cannot be healthy for the engine.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/28/2017

Good morning, Jerry. I'm sorry your having a problem with one of the fans. At the time the vehicle was finished both fans were working. As always we are only trying to fix the problems we find at the time the vehicle is at the shop. But the fact remains you're still having a problem with the over heating. So please bring the vehicle back; you do have a warranty with any of the repairs we did & there will be no charge to diagnose the problem. If you do not give me a chance to make it right I cannot fix the problem.

MICHAEL H.
02/28/2017
unresolved
Emissions light came back on Monday. Front still wobbles at highway speed. "Recommends" requires a "yes" or "no" but the jury is still out pending resolution of these issues
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 03/15/2017

We're there's still an issue with your vehicle.  If the light came back on we'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you to see if it's related to our repairs or another code has come up.  We wish you had called us once another problem presented itself, please give us a call at the shop.

ROB G.
Infiniti G35
06/25/2016
Losing confidence
Been coming for a few years now. Thought it was a pretty honest place. Then they told me they were giving me a great deal on tires at $140 each...only to find I could've purchased them for $97 each at Walmart.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 06/27/2016

We're sorry you feel that way, but we can't sell you the tires for the same price we buy them at.  Places like Wal*Mart have great buying power that brings the cost of items like that down.  That being said; with the purchase of the tires through us you get the free Mount & Balance (approx. $50 value), free tire rotations ($25.50), Free Road Hazard (pro-rate warranty for the tire) and a whole sale alignment ($85 dollar value brought down to $60).  If you are not satisfied with this response please give us a call so we can discuss it further.

03/29/2019
Convenient
Hello, I brought my pickup in for winding noise and power steering issue. $1000.00 later winding issue resolved, however still feels like I don't have power steering. May just take to Ford. Not sure yet.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 04/04/2019

Hi, Anonymous. We do have a warranty program in place where if you have a concern we can do our best to correct it. However, we do need to talk to you about your concerns. Please give us a call at the shop at your convenience. If it is a faulty part in a recent repair, we can get it taken care of.

Newington, CT
09/21/2018
Communication
My boyfriend has always had great outcomes from dons, being it a family friend. However, There was mis communication when I had service done. I needed my tire replaced (which was covered) and a rear left light replaced. I thought it was only a bulb out but a diagnostic test was needed and done without asking which was more than I can afford. In the end they worked With me for what I could afford and took it all off. I appreciate that so much.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 09/26/2018

We do apologize for the misunderstanding, but we were told to check the lights.  Thank you for voicing your concerns.

GJ
GENE J.
CT
Volkswagen EuroVan
05/18/2017
Don's is great but...
Very happy with all Don's work except this last visit I had to clean up a dirt/grease spot on my front seat and another one off the upholstery of the drivers door. I know this can happen but it should have been cleaned before I picked it up.
DON W. from Don's Auto Care Center responded on 05/19/2017

We're very sorry that happened, Gene.  We should have caught that and cleaned it up before you took the vehicle.  Let us know if it needs to be spot treated, we have supplies for that.