Grove Street Auto Repair

Overall Rating 1.0/5rating 1.0rating 1.0rating 1.0rating 1.0

ROBERT/SUSAN H.
04/11/2018
Tire issue
Yes I had an issue. The sign of a good business is they truly care. If they didn’t care they never would have been concerned and reached out to me. Bob and Jean are quality people and totally satisfied with them

04/11/2018
Tire repair
Been coming for years and will probably continue. However $50.00 to pull a nail and plug was shocking
Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 04/30/2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me today, Bob. You have been a customer for many years, and we appreciate the relationship we have built with you. I am grateful we were able talk about the tire repair issue, and hope that the additional information was helpful in explaining our pricing. The tire repair process has changed over the last few years, and is now more detailed, ultimately keeping you safer.

We look forward to continuing our relationship in the future.

EN
ED N.
08/26/2017
Awful
My son took his car Doran inspection.
It failed and they wanted to charge 100 to tell him what was wrong. Go somewhere else
Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 09/05/2017

I am sorry to hear your son's Impala failed inspection and that you were unhappy with our policy to charge for "service engine soon" indicator diagnosis. Please allow me to explain.

There were several issues with your son's vehicle's state-mandated Safety and Emission Inspection.  We found a headlight bulb burnt out, the right side mirror damaged, and the Service Engine Soon light was on.

After discussion with your son, we replaced the headlight bulb, with no labor charge. The mirror will need to be replaced. The Service Engine Soon/ Check Engine Light was on and the RMV Inspection Station recognized this issue. Per state emission regulations, this is an emissions failure.

The Vehicle Inspection Report printout indicated five (5) Diagnostic Trouble Codes to be addressed.  In order to determine exactly what the issues are, diagnostic testing needs to be performed. The technician attends hours of training classes, and uses sophisticated testing equipment to pinpoint the issues. Each code potentially takes an hour to fully diagnose to the point where one would know what repair needs to be performed. Several of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes on your son's vehicle could be related to one system. The minimum charge for the diagnostic testing is one hour of labor, which is $100.00.

Any auto parts store can give you a guess in their parking lot as to what parts you might need , but they will not install the part for you nor guarantee the accuracy of the diagnosis.  The value of having a trained technician diagnose the Emission Diagnostic Trouble Codes is knowing the diagnosis is done fully and correctly, and having the repair warrantied.

I hope this helps you understand why there is a charge for the SES code diagnosis. We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Please call me anytime.

Thank you for your time.
Jean
Grove Street Auto Repair   (GroveStreetAutoRepair.com)

KG
Kellie G.
Foxboro, MA
08/08/2017
Sorry. Can't say I agree....
If something happens to your car make sure to check on a recall because they won't and they certainly won't be honest with you about it. I was charged for a part and labor that wasn't necessary. They could have been honest and told me to take back to the dealership. An expensive lesson learned on my part..no pun intended. Just be careful.
Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 08/25/2017

We are always upfront and honest with our customers. I am sure it was a misunderstanding of a complicated issue. Our apologies if you did not fully understand our conversation and recommendations.

We had a discussion about the starter being faulty, and needing to be replaced. This was independent of any engine issue that may or may not have been covered under the manufacturer's warranty. As requested, we examined the engine. The engine turned by hand, and was not locked up. We gave you the option of not having us do anything, and having it towed to the dealer. You gave us the authorization to install a new starter. After installing the new starter, the engine would not run. The new starter was working, but the engine would not turn over all the way.

The starter would not have been covered under a manufactuer's warranty on a 2011 vehicle with over 100,000 miles, so I am unsure what you think we did that should have been covered under their warranty.
We hope the manufacturer was able to resolve the engine issue for you.

ROLAND G.
Volkswagen Passat
12/22/2016
feeling slighted and disrespected
when my car was last at Grove St Auto, it was mentioned that I needed a bulb replacement - so I paid for the bulb, but was told to come in anytime to have it replaced. I work 2 jobs and it is very difficult for me to arrange time to come in, so a few weeks later I had a day off, so I pooped in to have it replaced, they didn't have the bulb, so I waited over 90 minutes, even though I was told 30 minutes, to get this thing done now, because I didn't know when I would have another opportunity. It took that long because they didn't have the bulb...so if I bought it, why didn't Grove St have it for me? I dunno, seems negligent. I get finally get home and find that the area in which the bulb was replaced was disassembled...what? You guys couldn't even put everything back the way you found it? To me, that is disrespectful. So no bulb, after I paid for it and didn't put my stuff back... "disrespectful". People were curt, generally respectful to my face, but lied about the timing, so I missed my next appointment and had to reschedule. Suggestions: I would have first verified that the bulb was at the garage, if not, then I would have told the customer (me) that it would be at least an hour, so I could have gotten to my next apt, or reschedule the bulb replacement a little later - I was not given that opportunity and was forced to wait for over 90 minutes. "Would I recommend this business to a friend?" -Maybe - depends on the friends needs. If you only give me a "yes" or "no"... I have to say "no" at this point.

DV
DEBORAH V.
09/30/2016
Really disappointed
Brought a brand new car for inspection sticker and you failed the car and put a reject sticker because my license plate was old. It really wasn't that bad. Had to spend the day getting a new plate
Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 10/03/2016

I am sorry for the frustration and extra time spent to get a new license plate. The State of Massachusetts has specific regulations for the condition of the license plates, and it appears your original license plates did not meet those requirements. The State does not allow a grace period for any non-emissions issues, and that is certainly frustating when it is just a license plate issue.

For your records, here is the wording of the regulation, "By state law, Massachusetts license plates must be readable from 60 feet away. Any green or red passenger plate, which has lost its reflective coating or paint or has been damaged, must be replaced. You can also be cited by law enforcement for this violation. The RMV encourages vehicle owners to swap illegible plates for a set of red plates at no fee. Faded and illegible plates can be swapped at any of the RMV's full service branch locations. A red plate that is lost or damaged can also be ordered at any branch or by calling the Contact Center at 857-368-8000. The cost of replacing these plates is $10 a plate and will be mailed to the registered owner."

Here is the link to the information - http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#12

I hope you understand that we are just following the State's regulations, over which we have no control.

Please feel free to call us directly if you have any other questions or concerns.

BT
BRIAN T.
Medway, MA
Mazda 6
02/20/2016
Not a good experience
Took a day and a half to do something that should've taken an hour.
Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 03/09/2016

Brian, Your feedback is very important to us. I reached out to you several times, and am sorry we were not able to connect. Please allow me to explain.

When you dropped off your vehicle with us on Thursday, 2/22/16, we had a full schedule already, but expected we would have time later in the day to address your needs.  Unfortunately, the tire had sidewall damage, with a lot of rubber from the inside of the tire having worn off, leaving shavings inside the tire. This rendered the tire unsafe for use. In addition the vehicle's spare tire was damaged.

We called you right away, and recommended replacing the tire and the spare tire. The tire had to be ordered and was not received by us until the next day. The spare tire took some research to locate and took longer to obtain as well.  As soon as you came in on Friday, we mounted and balanced the new tire onto your rim to get you back on the road as quickly as we could.  Your spare tire assembly arrived later in the day, and I understand you did return several days later for it.

We understand how important it is to have your vehicle back as soon as possible, and try to communicate any delays to keep you informed. I hope this helps explain why the process of resolving the tire issues took longer than you were expecting.

We hope to see you again soon.

JANICE/JASON M.
Buick Century
01/13/2016
Feeling Ripped off
I hated spending $98.00 just to have the car looked at and to find it was too expensive to fix.
Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 01/21/2016

Janice and Jason,

I tried to contact you but was unable to connect with you directly.  I understand you were feeling upset after we evaluated your 1995 Buick Century with over 120,000 miles on the odometer. You requested we diagnose the "no start" condition occurring when the weather was wet, and also diagnose why the driver's window would not work.

The diagnosis of the no start condition included testing the ignition system, including the "wet test" which took approximately 60 minutes. The diagnosis of the window issue took 30 minutes.

We then did estimates which, given the age of the vehicle, was time consuming. We researched multiple suppliers to find the parts for the window repair. The only available option was unfortunately very expensive.

Because we did not feel it was fair to recommend doing these repairs without giving you a complete picture of the condition of the vehicle, we did a multi-point courtesy vehicle inspection, and found a number of other significant issues. I called Janice to be sure she was aware of all these issues, at which point, you decided it was not worth it to repair the vehicle due to the aggregate cost of needed repairs to make the vehicle drive-able over the long-term.

The diagnosis charge of $98 covered the diagnostic time of our ASE-trained technician for the items you requested we look at. There was no charge for the extra multi-point inspection, nor for doing the estimates.

My hope is that this clarified our process for you, and helps you understand why we do charge for some diagnostic processes.  If we just listen for a noise and put a vehicle on the lift, there is usually no diagnostic charge, but when it takes over an hour and a half to diagnose the concerns, we do need to charge for that.

We thank you for your business and hope to see you again in the future.

Jean and The Service Team at Grove Street Auto Repair

Jean@GroveStreetAutoRepair.com

Patrick, Jean a., Owner from Grove Street Auto Repair responded on 01/21/2016

Please feel free to call me anytime with any qestions or concerns. Thank you,
Jean