Overall Rating 2.3333333/5Overall Rating 2.3333333/5rating 2.3333333rating 2.3333333rating 2.3333333

s w.
05/13/2018
Can you say "FRAUD"?
Brought the car for an alignment. Alignments start with checking front end for wear. If those parts are worn, the car can't be aligned until they are replaced. Jeff, in his clam friendly way, told me it could not be aligned because ALL front control arms and both tie rods needed to be replaced. He wrote an estimate for $3,300 to do that. Well, half of the control arms had been replaced less than 4,500 miles prior and the others and the tie rods had been replaced less than 10,500 miles prior. I asked 5 different shops if those parts could wear out that quickly. The unanimous answer was "No." More telling - the next day another alignment shop with decades of experience checked all those front end parts TWICE, found them all to be tight and aligned the car. When I told Jeff I wanted my money back that he charged me for "inspecting" the front end, he opened the register and handed it to me without a wimper. If he'd been truthful, don't you think he would have at least insisted on putting the car on the rack and showing me the play he claimed were in ALL 8 control arms and the tie rods?
I have all the documents to prove all of this. I have ZERO doubt that this was a 100% TOTAL ATTEMPT at FRAUD - with a smiling soft spoken bedside manner perfect for ripping off naïve Boulder rich folks.

TP
Tracy P.
Jeep Cherokee
09/19/2017
My jeep
As of now - Jeff is God sent
For some reason I trust him to do me right.
Comes across as a honest good human being & easy to talk to.
So far he has charged me fairly - I know a few reviews have warnings but he has done me right.
I plan on making this my go to shop till he retires so pls look for my future reviews

BC
Benjamin C.
04/22/2016
Unsatisfactory work, vehicle in shop for over a month - no apology given
From January-April 2016 I ended up spending nearly $6,000 on work from Spruce Street Auto and 4x4.

After my second visit to the shop, I would not recommend it in the future. The shop had my truck in their possession for over a month. They failed to offer an acceptable explanation as to why the work was taking so long, and offered no sort of apology. Their leisurely approach to fixing my vehicle caused an immense amount of strife in my life, and even delayed me from moving across the country by several weeks.

Not to mention that both times I picked up my vehicle from the shop another component failed within hours. After my first visit where they repaired an intake manifold gasket, the head gasket blew within 5 miles. After my second visit where the head gasket was repaired($4,000 and 5 weeks later) the tensioner assembly failed just hours later.

Maybe this shop is decent for brake jobs and other low tier work, but I certainly would not recommend it as the "True alternative to the dealer" they claim on the website.
Jeff M. from Spruce Street Auto & 4x4 Center responded on 04/22/2016

I'm very sorry that our work took longer than we originally anticipated, Ben. Our time estimates are based on a lot of different factors, and we very rarely have to push back on jobs like these. I'm sorry you had to catch us in such a rare moment. Also, while we perform the best possibly work we can, there's no telling how the car will react to the job once it hits the road, especially if you're travelling across the country. Unforeseeable condition factors can make it possible for repairs to be compromised once they hit the road. We're sorry to hear this was the case for your car, but we're glad to hear you still made it safely to your destination. Take care. -Jeff, Owner.

Jeff McKinny
Owner
303-444-1176

Michael H.
11/04/2015
Timing belt retry
After a timing belt replacement, I had to return to the shop 3 times. The first two because of check engine lights coming on shortly after leaving the shop. Supposedly the recommended settings on the timing belt were different than what Toyota recommends. They made adjustments 2 times, and the check engine stayed off for a week. Then, while I was driving on the highway, my car lost 80% of its power. The engine vibrated, and then finally stopped. I had to get it towed back into Spruce Street auto. They said that the cam had jumped 4 teeth. Could this have harmed my engine? I don't know.

However, my 1 star rating is because it seemed like they couldn't perform a standard timing belt replacement.

LR
Logan R.
01/24/2015 Category: Service
Logan said he would never use them again. He paid $3,000 to have the vehicle fixed and they said it was. The problems with the vehicle were not fixed. They put in wrong parts and did not see all the problems there were. As a result of this visit, he will not recommend this business for service.

Daniel P.
BR
07/24/2014
Not good enough
It takes 5 minutes to hoist a car up and check the differential fluid. I should have gone to Big O tires where they would have checked that for free instead of getting nickle and dimed out of 15$

07/24/2014
Disappointed
I was charged 15$ to be told my differential fluid was fine. That's a rip, I won't be coming back
Jeff M. from Spruce Street Auto & 4x4 Center responded on 07/25/2014

I am sorry you feel that way but we did put you car up on the hoist and we also had the Mechanics time to pay for.

Jeff McKinny