Latest Review about 3 years ago

Jason R.
Warsaw, MO
02/18/2016 Category: Service
Jason said Hope, the owner, is fantastic to work with.

PD
Paul D.
02/15/2016
Fail inspections to boost profits
Recently brought my perfectly running van into Ashby's for an inspection. The mechanic said it failed because my power steering fluid was "producing droplets." I work on my car and I can tell you there isn't a vehicle out there over 150,000 that won't "produce droplets" of some kind. Failing an inspection for petty fluid leaks does not hold true to the spirit of what an inspection is for. It's to assure that the care is safe to drive for the owner and others. An intensely slow leak (I've monitored it for years and was never a cause for concern) is no reason to fail an inspection. BEWARE. Garages that look for little things like this to garner more service and business for themselves do not have the owner's best interest at heart. I've taken my vehicle to the same place for years and brought it here for convenience sake. Looks like I'm going back to the guys I trust.
Hope A. from Ashby's Automotive responded on 02/15/2016

I'm not certain who Paul is as this appointment was for Nicholas but in any case I am also disappointed with "Paul's" interaction during this visit. When my tech informed him that his van wouldn't pass because of a power steering leak he seemed rather offended & immediately disagreeable. The criteria set forth by the Missouri Highway Patrol in the Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual states as follows:
"........or if any component part is missing, loose or leaking sufficient fluid to cause droplets the vehicle shall not pass."
This can be found on page 24 under the heading entitled Steering Mechanisms (11 CSR 50-2.200)
We prefer customers to wait while we do the inspections if they are available to do so because we want to be able to physically show the customer if there is a reason(s) the vehcile fails. Most customers graciously accept however "Paul" refused to let the tech show him our concerns. We told him the leak appeared to be coming from the high pressure power steering line where it connected at the pump...we went on to state that it may be as easy as a loose fitting but "Paul" had already convinced himself that we were out to get him. As for not holding true to the spirit of what an inspection is meant for......I can only state that we don't make the rules but our operation is overseen by the Missouri State Highway Patrol who has an expectation of us to perform inspections according to the standards we are bound by law to follow. I am sincerely sorry that "Paul" was anything but pleased as the vast majority of both new & existing customers typically are. I think the countless other reviews over the past few years overwhelmingly reflect positive feedback.

MARK H.
Chevrolet Suburban
02/13/2016
Great Customer Service
Very good service. They care about their customers, new and old.

BF
BRETT and JAMIE F.
Chevrolet Suburban
02/12/2016
Best service
Ashby's has been taking care of our vehicles for several years and we wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. They have truly taken care of us!

AR
ANNE R.
Jeep Cherokee
01/29/2016
Brake trouble
I couldn't be more please with my first experience with Ashby's Automotive. My brakes were a complete mess. I didn't have an appointment and dropped off my car in the morning and it was done by 5. The cost was very reasonable. I will definitely take my car back to them for any other repairs.

MJ
Melanie And Wayne J.
01/19/2016 Category: Service
Wayne said they always do a outstanding work in a timely fashion and the customer service is excellent.

Scott W.
Chevrolet Silverado
01/18/2016 Category: Service
Scott said this business takes care of him and they are really good.

ROBERT L.
01/09/2016
Nissan Murano
Ashby's did a very thorough inspection/diagnosis of an oil leak on my wife's car, then replaced the leaking seal. I was impressed with the level of inspection I received on the vehicle overall - while isolating the worst oil leak, other problems were apparent. These were both explained to me and noted on the ticket. I thought they were very fair on pricing too.

TH
Tom H.
12/24/2015 Category: Service
Tom said he had an overall pretty good experience with this business. They did good work on his vehicle.

SA
Stacee A.
Hyundai Veracruz
12/23/2015 Category: Service
Stacee said the employees at this business provided good customer service and do good work as well.

KP
KATHY and EDWARD P.
Ford Expedition
12/18/2015
Transmission replaced
Appreciated the straightforward estimate, the help in determining the problem, the speed of repair, and the thoroughness of checking the car out before we got it back. Will be coming back!

GK
GREGG K.
12/16/2015
Auto Service
Highly recommend. Due to Hope's tenure in the business she is there to solve your auto problems. My experience and family members who have , "taken there auto there over 20 plus years," has proven she will help solve your auto needs. With her experience and knowledge she is there to solve your problems. Her job is to solve your problems. She does an excellent job in turning that into reality. So easy to work with. She's an extremely hard worker to give the service that one expects. My hat is off to Hope.

Robert L.
12/11/2015 Category: Service
Robert said they did a great job getting his vehicle in and out. It was also done for a fair price because he checked around at other facilities.

DAVID and CHERYL P.
12/09/2015
Because we know the the car will be fixed right.
And a big thank you because i don't like not having my own car.

RJ
Ron J.
11/27/2015 Category: Service
Ron said he received good service.

BF
Brian F.
Mazda MPV
10/30/2015 Category: Service
Brian said they do good work and take good care of him.

CG
Carissa And Adam G.
Ford Bronco
10/26/2015 Category: Service
Carissa said this business messed up more parts on her vehicle than what she brought it in for. She had dropped off her vehicle and they did not work on it until a week later. One of the jobs was to replace the ignition. They messed up the lights which her husband had to fix. When she got her vehicle back, it was still stalling, so she returned to have them look at it again. They did not work on the vehicle until about four or five days later. She has the vehicle now but it is not running. She is not planning on returning to have them look at the vehicle again. It took her a long time to find a mechanic who she thought was honest.
Hope A. from Ashby's Automotive responded on 10/28/2015

I'm very disappointed to learn that Adam & Carissa aren't anything but pleased with our services. It is ALWAYS our intent & mission to offer our best to each & everyone of our customers. I'll first address the concern regarding the length of time it took us before we looked at the vehicle. I was upfront with them about our situation. We had gotten behind because my lead tech had a stroke. Again, I had let them know we were behind in advance of them towing the vehicle to us and even offered to help w/a tow to another shop when I didn't meet the original expectation that I had set. They opted at that time to leave the vehicle w/us.
The symptom were were supposed to address was the vehicle would start but abruptly die. Adam is mechanically inclined and is able to perform some repairs himself. He stated he had replaced the fuel pump, starter, coil, distributor cap & rotor. While we are understanding of our customers trying to make repairs themselves it does make our job harder because we have to determine what components were necessary to replace ...if any &/or if any may be defective. Unfortunately, we do experience a fair amount of defective parts from time to time which always complicates matters. In any case, when my tech looked at the vehicle it wouldn't start. Obviously a different symptom than was described. It was at that point that we observed the starter was nearly falling out. Knowing the customer acknowledged having replaced it we merely secured it. However, that was not the only issue causing the no start condition. The ignition switch needed replacement. After that component was replaced we moved on to the initial concern which turned out to be the distributor assembly. We replaced that component and confirmed the fix. The vehicle was no longer dying after abruptly after started. We took the vehicle on a short test drive and considered the repair complete. Shortly after Adam picked it up he returned stating it was running poorly. He further explained to the tech the symptoms and left it for further diagnosis. Again, we stressed that we were doing our best to catch up from our tech's medical set back. Adam felt it was better to leave it with us since we were already familiar w/the vehicle and the prior repairs.
After performing various diagnostic procedures we confirmed that it needed a fuel pump. Of course, we knew that Adam had already replaced the fuel pump but this particular vehicle has two pumps. One located under hood and another in the fuel tank. Adam later acknowledged that he didn't realize there was a pump in the fuel tank. After replacing the pump in tank the fuel pressure wasn't as good as it should be. At that point we started backtracking hoping we weren't dealing w/a defective part. When testing for power we were able to determine that there was power to the ground wire for fuel pumps. Grounds shouldn't have power going to them. Instead of tracing the origin or source of the power which can take hours making the labor involved finding the problem very expensive we opted to simply make our own grounds for each pump directly to the frame. I have no knowledge of the repairs to the lights that Carissa mentioned that Adam needed to repair but suspect that those too had electrical issues w/the grounds & power. After all of this the truck started and ran very well.  It is my hope that those reading my response will see how important it is to me to make every customer highly satisfied and if not through this response then by reading the vast majority of ratings from our very loyal customer base.

Ron L.
Pontiac Grand Prix
10/23/2015 Category: Service
Ron said this business did everything he needed done and did a good job.

TD
TINA D.
Acura TL
10/18/2015
Superb automotive service
Very friendly staff. I am a new resident to Missouri, and they went out of their way to get me scheduled for an inspection and replaced my tires, so my car would pass inspection. I have a great new set of tires now, and my car rides like a dream.

KH
KRISTI H.
Chevrolet Cavalier
10/15/2015
Excellent Experience
Appreciated the thorough and honest service - will definitely return